Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:44 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
jw357...I'm not saying you should have been happy about it, but eventually, you just have to move on, and get rid of the hard feelings. Well, you don't have to, so I was wrong there. You can do what you want.

I hope things work out better in the future.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:23 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
So I finally get this thing back up in the air. Then an aileron decides to rip loose in the middle of a KE Spin I manged to get it down all right but not with out breaking the gear right at the axle It wasn't even a hard crash landing. So has anyone tried some landing gear from 3DHS on this? They seem to be much more stout. Otherwise does everyone like the Extra 300 gear over the stock MXS gear? I knew I should have ordered extra gear when I ordered the fuselage
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:28 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
you'll need to redrill the mounting holes, but yes the 3DHS gear work well.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
you'll need to redrill the mounting holes, but yes the 3DHS gear work well.
Great! Which did you use? 48" Edge or something?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
I've gone through some landing gear on the 48". Others have recommended the extra 48" landging gear instead.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:08 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Great! Which did you use? 48" Edge or something?
I want to know the same answer too....
I also broke my LG yesterday, but this time at 1" above the axle of the left LG. The left axle was torn out a while ago while taxiing over rough grass! I glue it back, reinforced with a metal washer on each side and then glass over it. It worked fine until yesterday, not even a hard landing, the leg gave up but the axle is ok.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Last edited by Vince_TT; Jan 28, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
Another option, if you already have the MXS landing gear (48"), is to wrap it with kevlar or spirewire thread, and epoxy it, near the weak point above the bend for the axel. It might not be pretty, but it holds up.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,447 Posts
The extra gear is a little more robust... I had the issue to with my MXS gear. My edge gear seams to be a little thinker and stronger and haven't had a issue yet.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I want to know the same answer too....
I also broke my LG yesterday, but this time at 1" above the axle of the left LG. The left axle was torn out a while ago while taxiing over rough grass! I glue it back, reinforced with a metal washer on each side and then glass over it. It worked fine until yesterday, not even a hard landing, the leg gave up but the axle is ok.
These are the same size but stronger. May or may not have to drill new holes but that's the easy part anyway. $26 to my house using the USPS option for shipping.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Straight-...R_p_15410.html
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:55 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
These are the same size but stronger. May or may not have to drill new holes but that's the easy part anyway. $26 to my house using the USPS option for shipping.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Straight-...R_p_15410.html
^^^^^^^^^^^ those are they.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
Or you could try: Extra 48" landing gear

BTW, I can check the SuperVyper landing gear later tonight...I'm not sure it is stronger.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Are the Extra's gear pretty flexible? They look just as thin and weak as the MXS gear. Hard to tell from the pic though. I've had the 3DHS 47" Edge with that gear and never had a problem. However that plane was much lighter than the MXS.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
That is what I'm thinking. The super vyper is also lighter, and I have broken that landing gear. I'll take a look tonight since I have access to SV, EF extra, and EF MXS landing gear.

I have not tried the extra gear on the MXS, but my son, when he first got his extra, did a pretty hard landing and the landing gear (and airframe) held up.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
I just checked. The super vyper landing gear does look like it would provide a little more strength in the area where the MXS landing gear has broke for me.

However, it is taller (might be a good thing if you want a bigger prop), and you will have to drill the CF. It is also narrower at the mount.

The EF 48" Extra 300 EXP gear looks like it would be the best, and will be the one I use if I need to replace the EF 48" MXS EXP landing gear. The extra landing gear is curved...it doesn't have that sharp bend that both the MXS and super vyper have (but the super vyper LG is a little thicker at that bend)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Thanks for the info LW! Helps a lot.