HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,467 Posts
I see it as an added safety that nothing comes apart. I didn't see it on the 48" build videos but it def. is there on the 60" airframes.
I flew without it for over 100 flights on my 48" Edge before I had the brain fart not remembering I had hit the low rate switch. In my defense I had the "Guy" that loves to talk in my ear yapping away. As poor an excuse as it is it was the reason... I have it's replacement waiting for a good day to get it in the air again.

NOTE: when I put the collar on mine I had to take the Dremel w/ drum sander to the firewall hole so it cleared. Mine was a pure bind but I can see how it could just rub a bit and be overlooked. None of my shafts had a flat spot so I used the metal cutting wheel to grind a small flat spot for the set screw. And always use locktite on metal to metal screw connections to prevent vibration from loosening them.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
I did have a prop/rotor/shaft ejection once, its was because I cut down a high pitch prop (9x9 down to 7x9) and did a lousy job on balancing it. The vibration took the c-clip out at 70+ mile. If I had the collar on I would have saved that plane.

Have three more flights on MXS on Christmas day. Slowly getting used to this plane. However, when I taxied her back after the third landing, the right wheel, axis and pant got totally ripped off the LG. To be fare, my field is rough and bumpy. I have broke three Dubro micro sport wheels at taxiing on my 42" Slick already. I am wondering if Extra's LG can handle the job better?
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
Extra will flex a bit more
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:12 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
extra gear is not beefier, its just designed diferently, so it turns out a bit stronger... laser gear seems beefier, but lets see how it handles my field..
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
572 Posts
Rates and Expo

So I'm an MXS virgin...been flying 3D foamies, dynam biplane and su-26 and parkzone extra 300...I'm not nervous about speed or power, more about the crazy throws. I always had everything at its highest, but wondering if you can give any recommendations to a newbie in the balsa world.

Obviously I don't want to crash on my first few flights so I can get used to the plane. Having such large control surfaces is/are a bit intimidating.

Recommendations on expo and rates?
TheMagician007 is offline Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,290 Posts
This is what I had when I started on the 48

Full throws, expo of 75 on ailerons.
Full throws, expo of 70 on elevator.
Full throws, expo of 75 on rudder.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
This is what I had when I started on the 48

Full throws, expo of 75 on ailerons.
Full throws, expo of 70 on elevator.
Full throws, expo of 75 on rudder.
+1 That is what I fly with as well.
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
I flew that way for the maiden and a few packs after but felt like the 80 degrees of elevator was too much and I had a hard time adjusting on approach for landings. I was over correcting too much. I've since dialed it down to 45 degrees and it's much better for me now. All other surfaces are at max throws with 70ish expo.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross View Post
I flew that way for the maiden and a few packs after but felt like the 80 degrees of elevator was too much and I had a hard time adjusting on approach for landings. I was over correcting too much. I've since dialed it down to 45 degrees and it's much better for me now. All other surfaces are at max throws with 70ish expo.
Go back to 80 degrees of throw and just bump your expo up to 75.
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:50 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Or set up a low rate on the elevator.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:07 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,467 Posts
+1 Hone1er
Dual rates is just one more tool to make us better pilots. An a great tool at that.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:10 AM
Deutschland, BW, Ebersbach an der Fils
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
Hi,

I always Use a switch for Low Rates. On maiden flight i usually take 50% of the recommend throws on the Low rate.

With Full deflection it could really be hard if something is Not correct with the Setup.
Later i Use the Low setup for landing. I dont Like Full deflection at the elevator for landing.

Bernd
morrigan is offline Find More Posts by morrigan
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:21 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
I'm the opposite I use full rates right from the get go including maiden... feel more comfortable in high rates. Point the nose up and hit the gas if you get in trouble. I just started using a low rate to practice high speed stuff, but I don't feel right getting low going fast yet in low rate.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I'm the opposite I use full rates right from the get go including maiden... feel more comfortable in high rates.
You're a great pilot though. I think the new guys who are not used to all the throw are better off using thier low rates for general flying around and flip to high when they want to get crazy. Most guys don't take long to get to be flying full rates all the time, bit in the beginning it's a nice security tool for them.

For the longest time I never even bothered to set up a low rate, but at Chris' urging I started using one for my precision stuff. Man, it is so much easier that way. It was just a matter of trying it and getting comfortable. It is much like a pattern plane, but from years of full tilt, full time 3D rates, I had to adjust my style a little. Now I just have to remember which rate I am on and not try anything like a parachute on low rates.

New guys If you have triple rates that is the way to go. Set the low rate up using the manual. That's a precision rare and it is very, very easy to fly. Anyone who can handle a T28 will find themselves right at home on this low rate.

Then, then set the medium rate up using the high rate from the maual and restricting the elevator throw to 45 degrees. For the high rate, crank in all the elevator you can get.

The reason I like a meduim rate with 45 degrees is because the plane harriers much easier like this, and easy is important when you are learning 3D or switching to a new airframe. If you only have dual rates, in the beginning you can dial the high elevator back to 45 degrees until you have a good feel for the plane, and then go to the full 88 degrees when you are very comfortable.

Set up is a very personal thing, which is why there are so many different opinion on it. However, Chris spends a lot of time developing the low rates for these airframes and it makes sense to start there.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
Totally... It was not my intention to give bad advice for the new guys which should start on low rates and work up of that. I was simply saying what works best for me.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes