HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
Quote:
come on, just tell me that mxs in hig alpha is easier than edge?
The MXS is in a class of or close to the Edge... I've flown the hell out of both and both are bad a**.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
well, considering i had quite a hard time getting tail right on mine, 3 times ripped out rudder... maybe i need to give another airframe for mxs a shot....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
60? I'm up in the air with the Extra or MXS, but I really want to try the Extra, because I eventually want the 91 if I dig the 60" extra.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
i WANT all the 60 lineup about them is just the question what to get next one! edge will not be my last 60"!....but nope, im thinking to pull out gear from 3dhs 48" sc+sunnysky 800kv motor and hitec 85mg on 13x5 for laser, and i find laser easier to fly than mxs than to give another shoot for 48" mxs...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:34 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
I haven't flown any edge yet, but my 48" MXS is the best harriering plane I've flown so far, which still surprises me since I have flown edges in a simulator, which probably counts for nothing. I find it easier than the 64" MXS, but I don't have as much stick time on the 64. Part of my problem with the 64" was using a 16x8 prop, which introduces a lot of torque.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Ran 4 batteries this morning, totally agree this plane is very easy to harrier and hover. I only have 6 flights on her so far, but I flew her much lower than any of my other balsa planes now. I found her tends to drop the left wing without warning, combined with the authority on the tails, she could be handful at times. But that's the fun part of flying.

Stripped the rudder servo on the last flight. I have done two tail drags and some taxiing on rough grass. This is my first experience with HS65 mg; unfortunately it's not a good one. the no-name MG servo on the rudder of my 48" epp failed today, too. That's the second one on her but it lived for about 100 flights.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
If your getting servos failing I would recommend checking for binding. Had the lost a couple of servos until I made sure I wasn't binding. This is true for any servo... Especially digital.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Updates for the servos. Disassembled both servos after dinner, the no-name one was 100% dead, has the burn smell on the curculio board. On the other hand, cannot find any problem on the 65mg, reassemble everything back and it works fine as before. So, my guess is that the control arm slipped while I taxiing and turnning the MXS on rough grass. So the rudder could travel to full left but only 1/5 to the right. I then re-connected the push rod and then test the rudder with the tail wheel touched ground (some loads on the servo) and everything works, full travel to right and left. Should I continue using this servo?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Updates for the servos. Disassembled both servos after dinner, the no-name one was 100% dead, has the burn smell on the curculio board. On the other hand, cannot find any problem on the 65mg, reassemble everything back and it works fine as before. So, my guess is that the control arm slipped while I taxiing and turnning the MXS on rough grass. So the rudder could travel to full left but only 1/5 to the right. I then re-connected the push rod and then test the rudder with the tail wheel touched ground (some loads on the servo) and everything works, full travel to right and left. Should I continue using this servo?
Did you replace the control arm? (If it 'slipped' it's stripped.)
If the control arm isn't stripped, then if it were 'mine' I would replace the gears before using that servo again.
If it slipped once, the gears are ground off, out of spec, and it will happen again.
Probably at the worst possible moment
Gears are cheap.

Just my $.02
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Great idea. I will check the control arm and then the gear set. Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
you dont own edge or any 3dhs planes do you?
I own all the 48" exps and one 3dhs plane, the MXS is very stable in high alpha.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:24 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
Did you replace the control arm? (If it 'slipped' it's stripped.)
If the control arm isn't stripped, then if it were 'mine' I would replace the gears before using that servo again.
If it slipped once, the gears are ground off, out of spec, and it will happen again.
Probably at the worst possible moment
Gears are cheap.

Just my $.02
On the subject of gears, I use a 10x magnifying glass to inspect the gears, and even then, sometimes have I have to keep looking and looking to see the problem with a servo that is giving me trouble. Most of the time it's obvious under a magnifying glass, though.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,619 Posts
Hey guys can someone tell me what they paid for shipping in the USA for this plane?
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
$70 to AK...lol, I am still in the US, but I'm sure you will pay much less to VA.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
$70 to AK...lol, I am still in the US, but I'm sure you will pay much less to VA.
What That's ridiculous when other companies are charging less than $30. I guess I won't be getting this plane after all
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1