Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:00 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
I trust in chris.
I have to say, so far so good. Just watched a video of another brand snapping a wing during a snake. Pilot got it down but wow it was pretty good in a "at least he got it on video" sense.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Just maiden my MXS. My set up is Omega 130g with APC 12x6 on 4s. The reason using Omega is that most of my 4s batteries got stolen, only a 3200 and a 2200 left. So I can switch to a 14x7 prop on 3S if needed before my new batteries show up.
With only two flight on her, all I can say is she flies very different than my other birds. I had a hard time to tell which way she was going because the sky was really cloudy, so I just have two easy flights to trim her out. With the 3200 she definitely felt heavy in the sky, need to use lots of throttle and rudder in KE, but I was surprised that she was quite stable in harries with both batteries. My AUW without battery is around 44.6 oz, Can anyone confirm that the 44~48oz AUW on EF's site means battery included? Don't know why mine is so heavy. I could drop the wheel pants to save maybe 2oz but cannot think of anything else. Dropping the racing tips? Hopefully I can get more flights in the coming weekends, but it's really hard to get her dialed in with two very different batteries.
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Just maiden my MXS. My set up is Omega 130g with APC 12x6 on 4s. The reason using Omega is that most of my 4s batteries got stolen, only a 3200 and a 2200 left. So I can switch to a 14x7 prop on 3S if needed before my new batteries show up.
With only two flight on her, all I can say is she flies very different than my other birds. I had a hard time to tell which way she was going because the sky was really cloudy, so I just have two easy flights to trim her out. With the 3200 she definitely felt heavy in the sky, need to use lots of throttle and rudder in KE, but I was surprised that she was quite stable in harries with both batteries. My AUW without battery is around 44.6 oz, Can anyone confirm that the 44~48oz AUW on EF's site means battery included? Don't know why mine is so heavy. I could drop the wheel pants to save maybe 2oz but cannot think of anything else. Dropping the racing tips? Hopefully I can get more flights in the coming weekends, but it's really hard to get her dialed in with two very different batteries.
Fly it a bit, and then try it without the tips. I think most of us fly it with the SFG's, but not the tips. I love the way the tips look - but I like the way it flies without them. Don't worry about the weight, I think the 44-48 is a bit conservative, mine weighs more than that I think. I can find out when I get home in a while. I used to fly with 4s2200's, but have moved up to 4s2700 packs now. I like the 2700's more. The 48" MXS takes a bit to get used to, it can be a wild and squirrelly animal at first, but once you get used to it, you will like it I bet. Took me a good 20 flights to find my groove with it, and after another 20 it became my favorite airframe. I bought the 64" version the minute I saw the pre-order open, and as soon as the 78's come out I'll buy one of those too!
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,447 Posts
Vince_TT,

What servos are you using on it? I'm not sure about using the omega 130....good motor on my super vyper, but I have never tried it on a 48" EF plane. Try it without the racing wing tips. I don't need much throttle at all to get this to stay in a nice KE spin.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,316 Posts
fyi, my weight is 42 oz without wing tips, but with SFG's and wheel pants. My batteries are thunder power 4s2700's and weigh another 11oz.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Vince_TT,

What servos are you using on it? I'm not sure about using the omega 130....good motor on my super vyper, but I have never tried it on a 48" EF plane. Try it without the racing wing tips. I don't need much throttle at all to get this to stay in a nice KE spin.
85mg on elevator and 65mg for others. I think my problem is not experiencing 12" on a 48"+ plane. The motor is really strong on 4s, every time I did a tumble or snap roll, she would make a loud howling sounds that made me wonder If something broke. I did one blender that was loud too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
fyi, my weight is 42 oz without wing tips, but with SFG's and wheel pants. My batteries are thunder power 4s2700's and weigh another 11oz.
Thanks, seems that mine is in the okay range. Found another 4s 2200, so I will have more flight on Sat. for sure!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,447 Posts
Servos should be fine. Still not certain about the omega 130 on this airframe, though I haven't heard of anybody trying it...but blenders and full power KE spins can make a plane sound like an angry bird with any motor.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:50 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
mine was always crazy loud...I think my cowl was vibrating/resonating along to the motor.

iirc, a friend ran the 130g omega for awhile on 4s and 3s. I *believe* he eventually burned out a motor or two. he said the airframe was just a little too heavy for that motor...of course ymmv. loved mine with the motrolfly 2820-750 before I tried to push it through the asphalt.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
647 Posts
I burned up two Omega130 motors in my 3DHS 48" Edge, and that flies a bit lighter than the MXS. The 2nd one happened after only 20-30 flights. It should work on this plane, but I'd keep a close eye on the temps. Mine ALWAYS came down either hot, or scorching hot. As long as you're not coming down too hot and are happy with the performance using good throttle management it'll be fine.

Like IRG, I really enjoyed this plane with the Motrolfly 2820-750 on a 13x6.5. Tons of power, quiet & smooth running motor, and never came down scorching hot like my Omegas.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
I think Motrolfly 2820 with 13" prop will be next!
Regarding the noise, I kind of feel a boxy cowl makes louder noise in comparison to my Yaks' barrel shape cowl. I personally like the "angry bird scream", but the audiences at the school yard sometime get intimidated by that.

Irg, that's exactly what I felt about this plane and my power option, feel a bit heavy; but with I limited experience on this airframe and my mediocre skill I can only say it's "different". MXS' stability in harrier is also in contradiction to my experience from other planes withhigh wingloads. I need to get more stick time to get used to her.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
The mxs is so stable in high alpha. Its the plane I learned to harrier with.

The elevator authority really saves you when you chicken out.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
The mxs is so stable in high alpha. Its the plane I learned to harrier with.

The elevator authority really saves you when you chicken out.
stable can mean 2 things... 1) has no wing rock in elevator and 2) how hard it is to dumb-thumb it out of high alpha...

on first one i completely agree... but on second one... you dont own edge or any 3dhs planes do you?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:51 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Can anyone confirm that the 44~48oz AUW on EF's site means battery included?
That weight is wrong. For a plane built with the recommended hardware then the weight quoted is too heavy to be without battery, and too light to be including battery. I think it's probably wishful thinking on an all up flying weight.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
stable can mean 2 things... 1) has no wing rock in elevator and 2) how hard it is to dumb-thumb it out of high alpha...

on first one i completely agree... but on second one... you dont own edge or any 3dhs planes do you?
I've owned both the edge and and MXS and own/owned a few and flew even more 3DHS planes and the MXS is one of the most stable planes in any alpha I've flown. From reading a lot of your post in both EF and 3dhs threads... I think you like your 3DHS planes because you may like the more floaty feel... I don't. You always seem to rip EF planes in these threads and talk up your slick or 57 extra... How much easier they are. Don't get me wrong... I love my slick, but every EF plane I fly I fall in live with. Just to be clear... it is not my intention to have a EF, 3DHS war.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
sorry... but as far as i know, i emphasised that mxs beats any 3dhs plane in how locked in it feels in anything but hig alpha... and so far i have owned only mxs in 48" range but plan on getting laser...come on, just tell me that mxs in hig alpha is easier than edge? i just cant wrap my head around it...

and in any case, im planing on one more 60" exp, because im so far loving my edge...

and... khmm... speaking of slicks... i can bet that more than half of the people will agree that their favourite plane is the one they lock in first and has most flight time...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts