HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:57 PM
I fly. I'm pilot.
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Oct 2012
99 Posts
I tried to skim this thread for an answer, but 144 pages is getting to be a bit much. So I apologize if this has been covered...

I currently have a 47" Yak that I am planning on gutting, and using the electronics for a 48" EXP. I like the MXS and the Laser the best, but I'm leaning towards the MXS.

My questions is, would the HS-65 be ok in the elevator? I don't plan on doing any hardcore 3D like most. More IMAC style flying, with a little 3D thrown in the mix. I've been out of the hobby for quite some time, so this will be something to get me back into it with.

Also, my servos are the HS-65HB (karbonite gears, not metal). I don't think it will be a problem, as they have been perfectly fine in my Yak.

Thanks for any help
-Eric
GravyRobber is offline Find More Posts by GravyRobber
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:22 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyRobber View Post
I tried to skim this thread for an answer, but 144 pages is getting to be a bit much. So I apologize if this has been covered...

I currently have a 47" Yak that I am planning on gutting, and using the electronics for a 48" EXP. I like the MXS and the Laser the best, but I'm leaning towards the MXS.

My questions is, would the HS-65 be ok in the elevator? I don't plan on doing any hardcore 3D like most. More IMAC style flying, with a little 3D thrown in the mix. I've been out of the hobby for quite some time, so this will be something to get me back into it with.

Also, my servos are the HS-65HB (karbonite gears, not metal). I don't think it will be a problem, as they have been perfectly fine in my Yak.

Thanks for any help
-Eric
I suppose if you're going to do more IMAC than 3D the HB servos will be okay. However if you do plan on stepping up the throws to 3D extremes it's definitely recommended to step up to the MG servos. I highly recommended MG servos if you plan on doing any 3D or even just flying fast.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:39 PM
I fly. I'm pilot.
Joined Oct 2012
99 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll probably pick up some MG's just to be safe.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:11 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
It is sort of interchangeable with the Extra, at least lo me, because they are very similar. The Laser has the advantage of a little better alpha manners, and it harriers really sweet. It's not quite as good as the Edge, but it's really close. The Extra still has the advanatge in precision though, but the Laser is as good as any of the rest of them.

I still think the Extra is a little better performance balanced, but the Laser is so close that the only way to choose between the two is pick the one you like the looks of. Of course, if precision is your #1 priority, the Extra is always going to be the king.

Having said all of that, whenever I can't make up my mind I always take the Extra. I might just be a little weird for Extras.
I guess that makes you extra weird, I can relate to that.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:29 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I suppose if you're going to do more IMAC than 3D the HB servos will be okay. However if you do plan on stepping up the throws to 3D extremes it's definitely recommended to step up to the MG servos. I highly recommended MG servos if you plan on doing any 3D or even just flying fast.

--Tom K.
+1

At the very minimum I'd put a metal gear on the elevator. This plane has a very large elevator and it is pretty much the most critical surface IMO.
Motojunk is online now Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:26 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for any help
-Eric
I would go with the MG's because it's just $10 more not to mention the HB's only lasted me 30 flights before snapping the gear at the spline on an aileron servo. Luckily, I did it at SEFF and one of EF's pilots ( Avery Poole ) pointed it out to me. .
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:39 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Even the vanq suggests the use of metal gears
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:19 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
I would go with the MG's because it's just $10 more not to mention the HB's only lasted me 30 flights before snapping the gear at the spline on an aileron servo. Luckily, I did it at SEFF and one of EF's pilots ( Avery Poole ) pointed it out to me. .
Yeah... the extra few bucks is cheap insurance.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:14 PM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
822 Posts
Quote:

Also, my servos are the HS-65HB (karbonite gears, not metal). I don't think it will be a problem,
Do not do it!
Period...

The surfaces on the EXP's are quite a bit larger... I have talked to far too many folks who had stripped gears in flight....

MG..

Please
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:58 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Yeah... the extra few bucks is cheap insurance.

--Tom K.
Amen!! Also you just can't beat the durability of the 65mg's. I have dropped my plane on the rudder so many times before learning how to hover efficiently. No stripped gears period!! Don't understand how but they work great
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:02 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
Do not do it!
Period...

The surfaces on the EXP's are quite a bit larger... I have talked to far too many folks who had stripped gears in flight....

MG..

Please
Yea, I found out the hard way. Luckily I was able to land.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:40 PM
I fly. I'm pilot.
Joined Oct 2012
99 Posts
Point taken!

Not concerned with cost, was just curious if I could re-use some of my old stuff. MG's it will be.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:55 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
Do not do it!
Period...

MG..

Please
I even stripped a 5065MG in flight...bent a gear...new servo, no incidents. Fortunately I was able to land and save the plane.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:08 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Point taken!

Not concerned with cost, was just curious if I could re-use some of my old stuff. MG's it will be.

Thanks for the responses.
You can rebuild the 65HB's with the metal gear set. If you got the servo just order the gear set. It's easy to do not to mention cheaper.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:49 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Well, I just received an aero-model carbon-lite 12x6 carbon fiber propeller.

It weighs 16.9 grams, and is thin, light and strong.

I can't wait to try it out on the 48" MXS.

Unlike a previous hobbyking 16x8 CF prop I bought for my 64" MXS (and immediately sold without trying), I think this will work well.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f