USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Congrats guys.

On a side note, I have noticed a lot of people say and write: "MSX"

But it's MXS.
I said MSX for awhile and couldn'y get it right Then a friend told me it takes 21 days to break a habit. He stayed after me and kept reminding me, and sure snough, after about 21 days I never called it MSX again.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:23 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Congrats guys.

On a side note, I have noticed a lot of people say and write: "MSX"

But it's MXS.
Haha, me too!

West London Models (who is the official UK distributor of EF!) has made that mistake, LOL!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Finally! Durafly Junior Review
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:23 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Yes, but that was a 2814.

I actually flew the Edge EXP last weekend on 3s with a 14/7 prop. It was very interesting.
Hey Doc, I'm curious to know what you like/dislike between the 48" Edge & MXS. I gotta get another 48" bird soon, to replace my MXS, and I just built my dad one of the Edges. I've had 4 flights on it(3s on 13x6.5 and 14x7) and I'm really really liking it, so much so that I almost want to get one myself instead of getting another MXS. Since I haven't had much time with it yet I figured I'd see what you thought the major differences are.
Motojunk is online now Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:21 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
Hey Doc, I'm curious to know what you like/dislike between the 48" Edge & MXS. I gotta get another 48" bird soon, to replace my MXS, and I just built my dad one of the Edges. I've had 4 flights on it(3s on 13x6.5 and 14x7) and I'm really really liking it, so much so that I almost want to get one myself instead of getting another MXS. Since I haven't had much time with it yet I figured I'd see what you thought the major differences are.
It's all in what you like and how you fly. For balls out high alpha 3D the Edge is absolutely the right plane. If you like IMAC and precison with a little 3D mixed in, nothing can touch the Extra. The MXS sort of fits in there somewhere between the two with the added characteristic of aswesome snaping and tumbling with insane pitch authority.

When I feel like doing mostly harrier and alpha work, the Edge is the undisputed king. When I want a nice balance between high speed precision and 3D, the Extra is the one I take out. I take the MXS when I want to get a little crazy.

I also think if you are between planes that you really also need to check out the Extra. Personally, the 48" Extra is my favorie airframe of all time. Everything about it's performance is perfectly balanced. It doesn't 3D as easy as the Edge and it doesn't have the MXS' pitch authority, but I believe on balance it flies better all the way around. It does sacrifice thesuper eassy harrier of the edge and you can't throw the tail under the plane like the MXS does so effortlessly, but on balance this is the plane I am most comfortable with.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, FL, Brandon
Joined Dec 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
It's all in what you like and how you fly. For balls out high alpha 3D the Edge is absolutely the right plane. If you like IMAC and precison with a little 3D mixed in, nothing can touch the Extra. The MXS sort of fits in there somewhere between the two with the added characteristic of aswesome snaping and tumbling with insane pitch authority.

When I feel like doing mostly harrier and alpha work, the Edge is the undisputed king. When I want a nice balance between high speed precision and 3D, the Extra is the one I take out. I take the MXS when I want to get a little crazy.

I also think if you are between planes that you really also need to check out the Extra. Personally, the 48" Extra is my favorie airframe of all time. Everything about it's performance is perfectly balanced. It doesn't 3D as easy as the Edge and it doesn't have the MXS' pitch authority, but I believe on balance it flies better all the way around. It does sacrifice thesuper eassy harrier of the edge and you can't throw the tail under the plane like the MXS does so effortlessly, but on balance this is the plane I am most comfortable with.

That said, where does the Laser fit in with the others??
Hitech1 is offline Find More Posts by Hitech1
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:03 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
Between the extra and the edge. It doesn't draw as quite as clean lines as the extra but its so stable in alpha.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:19 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitech1 View Post
That said, where does the Laser fit in with the others??
It is sort of interchangeable with the Extra, at least lo me, because they are very similar. The Laser has the advantage of a little better alpha manners, and it harriers really sweet. It's not quite as good as the Edge, but it's really close. The Extra still has the advanatge in precision though, but the Laser is as good as any of the rest of them.

I still think the Extra is a little better performance balanced, but the Laser is so close that the only way to choose between the two is pick the one you like the looks of. Of course, if precision is your #1 priority, the Extra is always going to be the king.

Having said all of that, whenever I can't make up my mind I always take the Extra. I might just be a little weird for Extras.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, FL, Brandon
Joined Dec 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
It is sort of interchangeable with the Extra, at least lo me, because they are very similar. The Laser has the advantage of a little better alpha manners, and it harriers really sweet. It's not quite as good as the Edge, but it's really close. The Extra still has the advanatge in precision though, but the Laser is as good as any of the rest of them.

I still think the Extra is a little better performance balanced, but the Laser is so close that the only way to choose between the two is pick the one you like the looks of. Of course, if precision is your #1 priority, the Extra is always going to be the king.

Having said all of that, whenever I can't make up my mind I always take the Extra. I might just be a little weird for Extras.

Thanks Doc!!!!!
Hitech1 is offline Find More Posts by Hitech1
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:42 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Joined May 2011
624 Posts
Quote:

Thanks a lot! That really helps. I think I will probably opt for the Edge this time around. I really enjoyed how light it felt compared to the MXS. If anything though, I think it will just be nice to go with something different for now. I'll probably get the Extra when I really start honing in on my precision skills, or at least when I get some extra cash. I'm just having too much fun with 3D now that I'm capable. I feel like I can finally fly the way I want now instead of trying to learn how.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:04 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Thanks a lot! That really helps. I think I will probably opt for the Edge this time around. I really enjoyed how light it felt compared to the MXS. If anything though, I think it will just be nice to go with something different for now. I'll probably get the Extra when I really start honing in on my precision skills, or at least when I get some extra cash. I'm just having too much fun with 3D now that I'm capable. I feel like I can finally fly the way I want now instead of trying to learn how.
but 3d and all aerobatic is constant learning to move forward... as for me, when im not trying to be better at least for 1*, i get bored very fast....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:34 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Joined May 2011
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
but 3d and all aerobatic is constant learning to move forward... as for me, when im not trying to be better at least for 1*, i get bored very fast....
Yeah, I didn't mean I don't need to learn more, as I try to learn and perfect my skills with pretty much every flight. I meant more that I don't fly scared anymore and my focus is more directed towards the maneuver I want to do and how I want it to look rather than trying to figure out how to do it. Not that I know how to do everything, but I've got a decent hold of 3D flying and making the plane go where I want. When my brain says "go there, do that" my thumbs just kinda know what to do & I don't have to think about it like I used to. There's rarely a moment in my flights where I fly straight lines for any length of time, I'm always trying something. I've been enjoying doing a lot of precision stuff lately, but I'd never want to be without a hardcore 3d airframe to abuse. Most flights are for flying and learning, but there's always those ones that are mostly for stress relief
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:41 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
There's rarely a moment in my flights where I fly straight lines for any length of time,
just wait until you get to the point where you understand that flying straight line is also a very hard aerobatic maneuver lol!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:36 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
Quote:
just wait until you get to the point where you understand that flying straight line is also a very hard aerobatic maneuver lol!
I can do this even in wind...just not turbulence.

A slow roll in a straight line is another story. Even in dead calm.

A perfect loop with a crosswind...can do okay with a couple of trial runs.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:51 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,610 Posts
Quote:
It's hard to choose, but if 3D is your priority, the Edge is the best bet.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:58 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Joined May 2011
624 Posts
Quote:
Oh believe me, I'm well aware of that. I guess you'd have to watch me fly to understand what I mean. I meant I'm always doing something with the sticks, which includes clean lines and slow straight smooth rolls, single roll circles, rifle rolls, etc. In-fact I'm having much more fun with drawing clean lines now that my thumbs know where to go more instinctively. I'm not just constantly smashing the sticks and buzzing around doing only 3D, but rarely do I make a single pass down the field without some sort of maneuver. When I want to relax like that I'll fly a glider