HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:53 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
thanks guys!

on another note, in the realm of what the heck, there is an ad on page 65 of Model Airplane News is a Castle Creations ad. In front left of a castle creations sign is an MXS done up like a 48"...I think it is a 48" due to the APC prop. the perspective makes it look huge though. on the right front of the sign is a 3dhs plane...with an Xoar prop. Behind the sign is Chris Hinson and Noll Smith shaking hands. The caption reads "There's only one thing these guys agree on".

The same shade of red ultracote?

Because, while they both probably use CC ESCs and BECs in some of their planes...the MXS, if it belongs to Chris, has to be using an airbosss....unless the air boss was designed by CC???
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:00 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
thanks guys!

on another note, in the realm of what the heck, there is an ad on page 65 of Model Airplane News is a Castle Creations ad. In front left of a castle creations sign is an MXS done up like a 48"...I think it is a 48" due to the APC prop. the perspective makes it look huge though. on the right front of the sign is a 3dhs plane...with an Xoar prop. Behind the sign is Chris Hinson and Noll Smith shaking hands. The caption reads "There's only one thing these guys agree on".

Because, while they both probably use CC ESCs and BECs in some of their planes...the MXS, if it belongs to Chris, has to be using an airbosss....unless the air boss was designed by CC???
hehehe caught that too did ya? oops by castle
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
Well, maybe it was a 78" MXS????

(posted by hone1er in EF owners)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
Deutschland, BW, Ebersbach an der Fils
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
Boar, that thing look huge. Looks Like a 60" Laser as well......
Nice

Bernd
(Nope, i am Not blind, Live the Orange as well )
morrigan is offline Find More Posts by morrigan
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Deutschland, BW, Ebersbach an der Fils
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
Live=love
Damn tablet.
morrigan is offline Find More Posts by morrigan
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:01 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
Down means up!

Thank god I remembered that tonight. Rocking out more and more with this one flying KE and inverted more than upright lately.
stgdz is online now Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:49 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
617 Posts
This was how I got to enjoy my first flight(and last) of the weekend.

Broken solder joint on the deans during a KE spin turned into the not-so-flat spin of death Lost all power and had to watch it spin, helplessly, all the way to the ground.

All in all the damage is quite minimal for how hard the thing hit. I'm literally shocked it's not a pile of sticks and covering. I'm amazed how strong these planes are built. I'm sure I could probably fix it, but it's not worth it to me anymore. There's quite a bit of damage running along the fuse, not just the front end / motor box. As my favorite plane so far with plenty of "character" to it from a few hard pancakes and some hangar rash, I feel a fresh replacement is necessary. As much as I am upset about killing my favorite plane, I'm excited to know I'll be building a brand new one soon, and glad it wasn't my piloting that killed it. Now, if only these darn bills would pay themselves so I could order it already....
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
Motojunk... Sorry about your loss....this was my favorite plane too. Now it is a close second, behind the 64" version. The 64" version--I'm still dialing it in, but getting there. The Extra 60" is a close third. But when I'm flying the 48", it is my favorite.

I'd personally get rid of the deans, even in a 48". I like the HXT connectors, and am considering power poles for the 60" planes.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:23 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
A new fuse is the best route possibly. Had a crash where I took out the fuse and canopy. Debated on whether to get a new kit or a fuse.
stgdz is online now Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:05 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,447 Posts
Fuse, cowling, and I will bet the canopy probably got it too. If you add that up, with possibly a new tail and rudder, I am betting that a whole kit won't be that much more.

That, and if you fly hard, you can't risk any hidden damage rearing it's head on the next flight.

Moto, do you want the Viking funeral?
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
That's what I did on my 60" Extra. Fuse, cowling and canopy were out. I saved the wings, elevator, landing gear, and rudder from the first Extra. Nothing like a fresh plane...and in the 48", it's a reasonable cost.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:39 AM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
thanks guys!

78" MXS Prototype and Yes... it was using CC equipment
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
78" MXS Prototype and Yes... it was using CC equipment
Cool...I didn't know the 78" was in the works when I first saw the ad.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:46 AM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
815 Posts
Picture was taken at SEFF and I think they may have been the first time the plane was out
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:06 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Fuse, cowling, and I will bet the canopy probably got it too. If you add that up, with possibly a new tail and rudder, I am betting that a whole kit won't be that much more.

That, and if you fly hard, you can't risk any hidden damage rearing it's head on the next flight.

Moto, do you want the Viking funeral?
Yeah, I take pleasure in hammering this plane in the air, I definitely don't want to risk hidden issues. I'm a pilot much more than a modeler and I'm sure my repairs would not make it fly exactly the same way it used to. This one will better serve as spare parts for any incidents I may have with the new one. It pancaked and ripped the landing gear out on the day I maidened it, so it was doomed from the start anyway, haha. I'll get much more enjoyment out of unpacking, building and flying the new one than spending the effort attempting to make repairs only to fly something slightly worse than I'm used to.

I'm pretty bummed about the deans breaking. I've had really good luck with them so far and kinda hesitant to switch everything over. This battery had at least 100+ cycles on it & I'm usually quite meticulous with all my soldering. I think this was just a good case of "sh** happens!"

What is this viking funeral you speak of, Doc?
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk