SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
sorry you are having such difficulty!!! mine has been beat to hell, multiple repairs, rudder is cracked and bent, motorbox supports broken and repaired, motorbox itself broken, antirotation pin female parts cracked and repaired, and still flies great.
well on my 42 i swapped gear once when cheapy esc crapped out, flew great half year...
my 57, single motor box repair, going great soon to be year....
48" sc not a single repair...
1.5 buck huck, swapped motor box once in half year, than trashed in another half year...

msx? every time i go out something happens... guess that airframe just is not for me...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
well on my 42 i swapped gear once when cheapy esc crapped out, flew great half year...
my 57, single motor box repair, going great soon to be year....
48" sc not a single repair...
1.5 buck huck, swapped motor box once in half year, than trashed in another half year...

msx? every time i go out something happens... guess that airframe just is not for me...
I suppose it comes down to luck. I had problems with my 51'' Slick every few flights but it is one of the most popular airframes around. I did like how it flew but i had such bad luck with it.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:19 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,419 Posts
The MXS 48 is my favorite right now as my flying style is trying to approach doc austin's...but I have only flown 3 EF planes, and my son won't let me fly his cherished 48" extra (for good reason).
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Strange - I fly the MXS on 2200 3s but am on 1130kV and a 12X7 prop and the plane just tumbles for fun.....it is awesome at pop tops and insane high g spins...

One thing I have learned on building these frames - is the stab is critical - I spend possibly 20mins being absolutely sure that it is spot on and that equal distance each side that the wing tube to corner is spot on both sides and that the elevator is perfectly level with a meter both sides....before I epoxy it in and guess the MXS it is more critical to get this right due to its pitch nature....

I typically fly on 3 rate switch although it never goes to lowest setting its either on rate 2 or rate 3....mostly fly rate 2 where the ailerons are at 40 degrees and the elevator is at 70 degrees and rudder 50 degrees... and it flys so sweet....the rate 3 brings in ails just under 50 ele at 85 and rudder at max just short of ele both sides..

Saying that the Edge is a plane I adored for its effortlessness it is such a sweet flying plane...
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
I can't imagine 50 of aileron. mine is around 28 or so high rate, perfect for me.

can you sustain rolling harrier with your high rate aileron? it would be too fast for me, and I'm pretty sure my ailerons were binding above 40 anyway (hinge gap is pretty close).
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:51 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
I can't rolling harrier with rate 3 - there is too much drag on the ailerons....it requires serious speed so is great for blenders and other such insane stuff....

When I installed the ailerons - I fixed the hinges to main wing...then fitted the aileron when the hinges had set and butted up aileron as tight to wing as possible then I put the wing on the edge of the table upside down and moved the aileron to its maximum up position without the gap being horrendous and then added the glue to the hinge and allowed it to soak in...then hinge taped it all up...

But to be honest I seldom fly max rates.....I pretty much do everything on rate 2 - and occasionally pop it to max rate....
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
Strange - I fly the MXS on 2200 3s but am on 1130kV and a 12X7 prop and the plane just tumbles for fun.....it is awesome at pop tops and insane high g spins...
than i guess just i havent found timing for msx tumbling... my 42" and 57" is waaaaay more violent in tumbles and ke spins... well, to each his own.... btw what would be nice replacement hinges? i was almost thinking of robarts pins style but im not sure i can drill it perfectly 90*...
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...=937/101.0.1.1

or

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...=119/101.0.1.1

guess pin hinges is waay harder to install with a hand drill and no expirience but for usual hinges i need hinging slotter tool?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Not overly keen on robarts as had a few pull out - but guess down to my fitting possibly

What servo's were you using rimaart? I am using hitec HS5065 and 5085 which I find work well and are quick enough....

I took a punt on going for a Futaba 8J figured that with its fast response I should notice a difference in the plane and I noticed it was way more responsive.....I am now thinking that perhaps I should have saved a bit more and gone for the 8FG but as new to Futaba - wasn't sure the hype was justified...sadly was wrong..
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
Not overly keen on robarts as had a few pull out - but guess down to my fitting possibly

What servo's were you using rimaart? I am using hitec HS5065 and 5085 which I find work well and are quick enough....

I took a punt on going for a Futaba 8J figured that with its fast response I should notice a difference in the plane and I noticed it was way more responsive.....I am now thinking that perhaps I should have saved a bit more and gone for the 8FG but as new to Futaba - wasn't sure the hype was justified...sadly was wrong..
savox 0257 and hitec5085 on rudder...all running on 11ms.... im starting to get used to plane, i LOVE knive edging it, just still, not a single time when i can get 4 batts trough it with no problems...
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Bat, having owned an edge you may want to look at the laser. Its sooooooo stable in harrier. Its not quite as floaty as the edge but draws better lines, just not as good as the extra.

It fits between the edge and the extra.
stgdz is online now Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:21 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Bat, having owned an edge you may want to look at the laser. Its sooooooo stable in harrier. Its not quite as floaty as the edge but draws better lines, just not as good as the extra.

It fits between the edge and the extra.
Funny enough enquired from the uk distributer when they were due in Friday gone...sadly the guy didn't know as the main man was on holiday in the states...

My son has the Extra and it flies so well - perhaps go with the 60 but yeah Laser is possibly the next plane if the uk dealer can get them in soon
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:30 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
If you want a laser and a 60 I would hold out for the bigger one, its currently in development and will be shown next week.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, IL, Forest Park
Joined Jul 2011
113 Posts
Do you guys have any tips on getting locked into KE spins? For a while I flew the MXS on 3s and could get it locked in no problem (full down elevator, full left rudder, no aileron input needed). However, since moving to 4s, I have been having a little more trouble finding the sweet spot. I have watched quite a few instructional videos and I have been improving, but am confused why there is such a big difference between 3s and 4s. Maybe it is a CG shift?
thebuckeye is online now Find More Posts by thebuckeye
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mountain Models Lucky Ace
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
less rudder