HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:17 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,553 Posts
New to 3D flying and was thinking of getting myself one but after reading the latest thread i was wondering if i would be better with the 48 inch edge rather than the MXS. what do you reckon.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:21 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees View Post
New to 3D flying and was thinking of getting myself one but after reading the latest thread i was wondering if i would be better with the 48 inch edge rather than the MXS. what do you reckon.
I've got an Edge and as a first 3D model it would be very hard to beat IMHO. It's about the easiest plane there is to fly harrier and any post stall manoeuvre, it doesn't have the nickname of '3D cheater' for nothing.

I don't have the MXS so cant really give a direct comparison but I'm very happy with the Edge. I think you would be happy with either to be honest, the Laser might be worth looking at too, I have that one and love it.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Many folks who fly much better than me seem to say that the 48" Edge is the EF plane for learning 3D.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:45 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I'm of a different minority. I think either the extra or the laser might be a bit better for a couple of reasons.

The extra is a really nice sport plane and draws the cleanest lines. It can go all out crazy but its a good transition plane when you want to learn to harrier.

The laser doesn't draw as quite as clean lines as the extra it is extremely easy to harrier due to that tall rudder and vertical stab.

They are faster and don't glide as much as the edge though. The edge will overshoot landings like no other.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,556 Posts
Quote:
I have a 47" Extra and a 48" MXS. The MXS is definitely not the plane to learn 3D on. Get an Edge or Extra.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:38 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
The laser doesn't draw as quite as clean lines as the extra it is extremely easy to harrier due to that tall rudder and vertical stab.
I haven't flown my 48" Edge yet, so I can't compare, but I definitely agree with the bolded above.
The Laser is the first balsa plane I've really harriered with, more than accidentally, and it feels pretty natural doing it.
Happy to be learning some 3d fundamentals these days
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,553 Posts
Thanks guys for your feedback. It's either the extra , edge or laser and if all these three are similar for learning 3d then it might be decided by the colour scheme.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,605 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys for your feedback. It's either the extra , edge or laser and if all these three are similar for learning 3d then it might be decided by the colour scheme.
I've got the Edge and Laser and if it's ease of harrier you want I'd plumb for the Edge but there isn't much in it. Transition to harrier seems to be where the Edge is noticeably easier. The Laser will sometimes drop a wing as you pull the nose up, you can control it but you need to be on your toes, the Edge is more forgiving in the same situation. Once established in the harrier they are both great but to me the Edge maybe feels slightly slower and more docile, but it's close and it could be just my perception or my set-up.

The other side of the coin is that the post stability of the Edge makes it hard to do snaps, the Laser snaps easier and more violently.

I really cant decide which is my favourite to fly, but for me the Laser wins on looks over all the EXP's.

Steve

PS.. sorry for dragging thread off topic.. me bad
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:51 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
I'm of a different minority. I think either the extra or the laser might be a bit better for a couple of reasons.

The extra is a really nice sport plane and draws the cleanest lines. It can go all out crazy but its a good transition plane when you want to learn to harrier.

They are faster and don't glide as much as the edge though. The edge will overshoot landings like no other.
Harrier landings take care of that. Or better yet, elevator to harrier landings are my favorite.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:15 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
I recommend slips when you're flying to fast to land.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,553 Posts
What kind of flight times are you getting.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:30 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I usually harrier land most of my planes but my big prop 48" planes I land regularly. I fly with a building behind me that can create some weird air currents when it gets windy and I've found a straight shot is typically the best way to bring it in during wind.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,816 Posts
Quote:
New to 3D flying and was thinking of getting myself one.........
You might find this helpful...........

The New Sport Pilot's Guide To 3D
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,553 Posts
Thanks Doc, Will read with interest and made my mind up to go for the Extra. Visiting the states next week and hope to pick one up and bring it back with me as they are a lot cheaper over there than here in the UK.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
So I went to the long standard arm that comes with the 5065MG, without the extension, and still get all of the throw I was getting before...that is, the rudder control arm still hits the fuse (I dialed it back for about 1/2 mm of clearance).

So, based on this, at least with the 5065 and a programmer, the servo arm extension is not necessary on the 48"MXS, unless you want to have a bigger throw in one direction than the other on your rudder.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f