HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
RCpilot1234, I know from your videos that you have considerable skill, but I think the problems others (rim, thinking of you here!) are having are very likely either setup related, or just a lack of stick time. in my experience the MXS is incredibly stable and predictable, both on low rates and high rates with the recommended expo. I'm just really surprised to read that anyone is having trouble with its flight characteristics. hope you won't give up and I encourage you to try making one small change at a time to see if you can dial it in.
yes, its stick time and that it (Seems) to fly SO different from 3dhs either 42" slick either 57" sc... well,ill just keep going out with it and will see what will happen lol..
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
-its very cg sensitive and small changes in cg relative to a extra or edge make this plane perform way differently.
yes, agree 100%. no other plane I've owned in this size range has been so sensitive to cg changes. once I found the proper cg though, everything is damn near perfect, KEs with no coupling, high alpha is super stable, and landing is a non issue. (conventional or harrier).
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
yes, agree 100%. no other plane I've owned in this size range has been so sensitive to cg changes. once I found the proper cg though, everything is damn near perfect, KEs with no coupling, high alpha is super stable, and landing is a non issue. (conventional or harrier).
would you say that 0 coupling ke is proper CoG? than i shouldnt have problems..
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
yes, its stick time and that it (Seems) to fly SO different from 3dhs either 42" slick either 57" sc... well,ill just keep going out with it and will see what will happen lol..
don't give up. if you had someone in your area who is maybe a little more experienced with 3D it might be a good idea to have them take it up and trim it out and offer suggestions.

if not, how are you determining CG? I've never done anything but the in flight, 45 upline, roll inverted and don't touch the elevator. mine very gradually drops the nose towards the horizon at about 1/2 throttle. I have almost no elevator trim, and KE coupling is nonexistent.

yes, for me zero KE coupling is a sign that the cg is good. how much elevator trim do you have?
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:27 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
don't give up. if you had someone in your area who is maybe a little more experienced with 3D it might be a good idea to have them take it up and trim it out and offer suggestions.

if not, how are you determining CG? I've never done anything but the in flight, 45 upline, roll inverted and don't touch the elevator. mine very gradually drops the nose towards the horizon at about 1/2 throttle. I have almost no elevator trim, and KE coupling is nonexistent.
well i determine in a level flight... but that shouldnt make any difference!

actually last time i screwed up something and my elevator was way down so i had to give a load of up trim, but before that, i had literally 0 trim with a slight nose drop inverted...

ill just give it more time he, tailwheel and sfgs is my priority now!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:32 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
i hadnt been flying for a while so i was thinking im rusty, but when i went out with my 42" and 57", i had no problems... so as i agreed, my biggest problem is stick time on this airframe...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:36 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,854 Posts
Yeah don't think of it like the other planes. I have all five 48 ef planes and they each fly different.

You should probably start over on trim though. What does it do in a dive. Does it pull out or in?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:03 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,315 Posts
I've flown the MXS with a 2650 under the cowl to on the wingtube... And it's always been some what predictable. I have to disagree with it being more CG sensative than others. When it is extremely tail heavy (battery on the tube a little)... It requires down elevator. I DON'T recommend this at all, but plane was able to fly. Neutral is the best.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I've flown the MXS with a 2650 under the cowl to on the wingtube... And it's always been some what predictable. I have to disagree with it being more CG sensative than others. When it is extremely tail heavy (battery on the tube a little)... It requires down elevator. I DON'T recommend this at all, but plane was able to fly. Neutral is the best.
I'd agree with this as I've flown it so hard the battery came loose and ended up aft of the wing tube. Although I noticed a CG shift it was still flyable and landed without issue. I've have CG sensitive aircraft and this isn't one of them.

There might be another cause for this?
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,705 Posts
I'd just like to say I've put around 250-300 flights on this plane and it's been so incredibly reliable! I mean other planes I've had always need some tweaking but this honestly seems to want none I go out in the evening on average three times a week since May, put about five flights in it every evening, and no problems! ESC, motor, servos, battery, battery connectors, and most importantly airframe have all been faultless! I think this is my favourite plane
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Discovery Pro Test
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:12 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
It was so nice, rather than continue the build on my bigger MXS, I flew my 48" MXS today. Was having a blast. But then I was doing a powered flat spin out of a pop top, tried to go back to netrael rudder and pull out...but the rudder was stuck. I called out bad servo and pancaked it into the corn, still spinning, cutting power at the right time.

No damage that I could see (other than the rudder servo). Tested the servos on the ground on a stand, and while the rudder would go back and forth, it wouldn't go one way if there was even a small amount of resistance.

This is the same 5065MG servo that I rebuilt. Last time the failure was due to dropping the plane onto the runway verticle.

I'm thinking of going to a 5085MG on the rudder, since I sometimes like to do poptops into powered flatspins.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:18 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,167 Posts
Does anyone have an extra blue SFG laying around?
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
so guys... as im getting my money day after tomorrow, im starting to think about replacement tailwheel for mxs... but EF ones are out of stock... any althernatives?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
A guy at our field has a ucando. The feature I like about it is the tailwheel is attached to the rudder via a spring rod. Seems like it would be less stress on the servo while taxiing or doing a 3 point cross wind landing. I'm not sure if that was a stock tailwheel or not.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Dec 2006
101 Posts
I'm considering getting one of these planes and retiring my old Sebart Katata30 ... using all the electronics from it to put in this MXS
flybri is offline Find More Posts by flybri