13x6
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
that motor should have no trouble swinging that prop, I would send it back to ken.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Still running a 14x7 here with now over 350 flights on 2 airframes and no issues... Tried a 13x6.5 and a 13x8 because of my concern too, but had to switch back as I wasn't happy with the performance. Guess I have too much time on the 14 inch on these 48" EXPs

Edit: I did started pulling throttle back before a high speed blender and stopped doing high throttle KE spins at around 200 flights because of the reports of failures.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bryansifsof44; Aug 19, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:55 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Yeah, I don't really see a need to do full throttle during blenders and spins. It looks prettier when the throttle is pulled back to 1/4 or is pulsed, IMO.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Yeah, I don't really see a need to do full throttle during blenders and spins. It looks prettier when the throttle is pulled back to 1/4 or is pulsed, IMO.

--Tom K.
Totally
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,691 Posts
yeah, I'm not a wide open blender guy either.

this motor came apart a few weeks after I got it, ken fixed it and I've been railing on it since. I'll send it back tomorrow and see what he says.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:56 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
sigh... kill me, but i dont understand msx.... every time i go out, i end up crash-landing it and going home... (before you say cant fly, during last 10month,i have owned 4 3dhs planes and still own 3 of them in almost perfect condition)

today went out to test my gear repair ( i epoxy-wrapped gear legs around breaking points near axle), had a hard landing, all held up... went up second time? lost an sfg, (who would have known they make SO big difference..).. while trying to get plane down, bumped rudder hard and ripped out hinges... (thats what you get for flying EF with no tailwheel)

last time went out without tail-wheel(i flew 42" slick with no tailwheel for 3 months with 0 problems and somehow didnt figure that differences in tail wheel assembly will make difference), i lost a tail wheel wire....

before that i lost (CAed) tailwheel...

before that i broke landing gear....

i guess my msx is cursed....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:13 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
If you can get your hands on one, try a set of lg from the EF Extra. Because they are curved instead of straight it eliminates the angle where the axle is attached and they seem to stand up better. The tail wheel situation is simple, get one. Dubro makes a pretty good one, if nothing else make a skid from some piano wire and put it on. you have to realize, the MXS neither flies nor lands the same as a 3DHS plane, it tends to carry more energy and requires a slightly different way of flying and landing as far as getting used to it. I find that of all my planes the MXS requires that I stay on my toes every moment, things can happen very fast with this plane. But the thing is once you get used to it, it's almost addicting to fly because it is such a rush due to it's capability.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,486 Posts
Along those lines, here is a video from Sunday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aetg_eVYEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I find that of all my planes the MXS requires that I stay on my toes every moment, things can happen very fast with this plane. But the thing is once you get used to it, it's almost addicting to fly because it is such a rush due to it's capability.
+1
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
sigh... kill me, but i dont understand msx.... every time i go out, i end up crash-landing it and going home... (before you say cant fly, during last 10month,i have owned 4 3dhs planes and still own 3 of them in almost perfect condition)

today went out to test my gear repair ( i epoxy-wrapped gear legs around breaking points near axle), had a hard landing, all held up... went up second time? lost an sfg, (who would have known they make SO big difference..).. while trying to get plane down, bumped rudder hard and ripped out hinges... (thats what you get for flying EF with no tailwheel)

last time went out without tail-wheel(i flew 42" slick with no tailwheel for 3 months with 0 problems and somehow didnt figure that differences in tail wheel assembly will make difference), i lost a tail wheel wire....

before that i lost (CAed) tailwheel...

before that i broke landing gear....

i guess my msx is cursed....
It's a high-energy plane. It's certainly not a particularly relaxing plane to fly; requires you to tread on egg shells a bit with it if you see what I'm saying But that's why I like it so much Planes like EF Edge 60 or PA Addiction X are more relaxing.

As for the SFG's, I put a bit of medium CA down the gap between the end of the wing and the SFG itself. Keeps them nice and straight and strengthens them against the occasional hit. Although only do it of you're sure you won't need to take them off too often as it rips the covering on them a bit.

My landing gear has been more than strong for me. I've come down quite hard on concrete and have been fine. But maybe when it does break I'll redact that comment, haha!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
It's a high-energy plane. It's certainly not a particularly relaxing plane to fly; requires you to tread on egg shells a bit with it if you see what I'm saying But that's why I like it so much Planes like EF Edge 60 or PA Addiction X are more relaxing.

As for the SFG's, I put a bit of medium CA down the gap between the end of the wing and the SFG itself. Keeps them nice and straight and strengthens them against the occasional hit. Although only do it of you're sure you won't need to take them off too often as it rips the covering on them a bit.

My landing gear has been more than strong for me. I've come down quite hard on concrete and have been fine. But maybe when it does break I'll redact that comment, haha!

well for sfg i will just get a longer screws lol...
landing gear seemed quite beefy after wrapping it in glassfibre cloth....
finally hacker on 14x7 seems to have normal power!

so next month i need to order another tailwheel, another set of sfgs...

no, by all means i LIKE the plane, just where i get screwed is harrierlanding... (im flyying in a field where from all sides is trees or houses, and i have learned harrierlanding but cant land normally for a C$"$"%"$P!)
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post

no, by all means i LIKE the plane, just where i get screwed is harrierlanding... (im flyying in a field where from all sides is trees or houses, and i have learned harrierlanding but cant land normally for a C$"$"%"$P!)
I'm betting this will help:

http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...d-landing.html
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
khm.... you got me wrong.... i can harrierland all my 3dhs planes (because i dont want to risk overshooting my landings and running into graveyard/window/childrens playground) 9 times out of 10... im having problems only with mxs... im actually tempted to pull out gear from my 48 3dhs sc and get 48" exp edge just to figure out is all EF lineup similar or no... next year im planning to join a club where i will have flying space with no trees on 4 sides of my field...

guess the best answer for me will be just to give myself time to get used to it and get a bigger field while im on progress of getting used to it...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:17 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,691 Posts
honestly, all the talk of "walking on egg shells", not being a "relaxing" plane to fly, etc, is really hard for me to understand. sure, on 3D rates and with enough watts under the cowl, the plane can get really crazy. but if you fly it around on low rates with the cg set right it is really easy to fly, does excellent precision, and lands effortlessly.

RCpilot1234, I know from your videos that you have considerable skill, but I think the problems others (rim, thinking of you here!) are having are very likely either setup related, or just a lack of stick time. in my experience the MXS is incredibly stable and predictable, both on low rates and high rates with the recommended expo. I'm just really surprised to read that anyone is having trouble with its flight characteristics. hope you won't give up and I encourage you to try making one small change at a time to see if you can dial it in.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:18 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
A couple of things I've noticed with my mxs.

-its very cg sensitive and small changes in cg relative to a extra or edge make this plane perform way differently.
-below throttle you have to watch it compared to high alpha or high speed. It won't tip stall out but its behavior can change at least for me.
.landings are faster than the extra or edge. Not harrier just regular.

The mxs is very stable in high alpha but it is pitch sensitive. Don't try and fly it like the other planes fly it fast at first and send it through tumbles. You will find your groove.

If its any consolation my edge is a plane I find the most difficult to fly as I can't get in the groove with it.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz