HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:30 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
huh? and why that would be wrong? until 3dhs comes out with byper im planning to run 3s for low&slow&general flying around, and as far as i know, wox t40 is kind of slow fly propeller(wich would be ok with me), bigger than 13x but smaller than 15... and when byper comes out to go to 4s for faster stuff..
I believe that the T40 was specifically designed with a very low pitch for the super light and floaty Addiction X and so is optimised for a speed of flight much lower than the MXS. You will find yourself way short of pitch speed with the t40 fitted to the MXS. Maybe ok if all you want to do is harrier and hover, but short of speed for anything else I'd imagine. Even PA don't recommend the T40 for any other plane in their range other than the addiction X, and their models are a lot lighter and slower flying than the MXS.

A 14x7 Xoar is a good prop for the hacker A30-14L on 3S, but it may still be a bit on the tame side for the MXS... Works great on the PA Ultimate AMR but that's a 39oz model rather than a 50oz one like the MXS.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Jul 30, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:45 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I believe that the T40 was specifically designed with a very low pitch for the super light and floaty Addiction X and so is optimised for a speed of flight much lower than the MXS. You will find yourself way short of pitch speed with the t40 fitted to the MXS, maybe of if all you want to do is harrier and hover but short of speed for anything else i'd imagine. Even PA don't recommend the T40 for any other plane in their range other than the addiction X, and their models are a lot lighter and slower flying than the MXS.

A 14x7 Xoar is a good prop for the hacker A30-14L on 3S, but it may still be a bit on the tame side for the MXS... Works great on the PA Ultimate AMR but that's a 39oz model rather than a 50oz one like the MXS.
Exactly!! I think instead a 14x7 on the A30-12L (better for 3S due to higher KV than the 14L) will give good power but may draw too many amps. But I can guarantee on a A30-14L (which is what rimaarts has ordered) it will feel too anaemic. My 13x6.5 on 3S on the 14L is very anaemic so I don't think putting a 14x7 on it won't help too much. Remember, the 14L has a lower KV better for 4S. rimaarts can only really choose between the 13x6.5 or 12x6 as he's ordered the 14L. Any bigger than those on 4S and I think you'll push the equipment too much (unless you reduce throttle curve). I wouldn't recommend getting a lower pitch than 6 either.
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Discovery Pro Test
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:59 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
A Xoar 14x7 on the hacker A30-14L with a good 3s battery pulls maybe 430W, dropping well below 400 once the battery runs down a bit. That's maybe 120W/lb on the MXS which should be ok for sport flying but very anaemic for 3D.. Especially so for something like the MXS that (apparently as I don't own one) excels when being flown hard and fast.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:07 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
A Xoar 14x7 on the hacker A30-14L with a good 3s battery pulls maybe 430W, dropping well below 400 once the battery runs down a bit. That's maybe 120W/lb on the MXS which should be ok for sport flying but very anaemic for 3D.. Especially so for something like the MXS that (apparently as I don't own one) excels when being flown hard and fast.
The MXS is definitely great for violent flying as you say
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Discovery Pro Test
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
cartwheeled mine yesterday..oops..low hover ( in the wind but a crowd pulled up at the local state park so you know what that means) i had put a battery in that was going bad and only lasted like 5 minutes..It only lasted about 3.5 yesterday.. pulling out of the hover it started going down and wouldnt pull out..I went to pushing the elevator forward for a harrier landing and el gusto blew my over sideways and into cartwheel city..got a little re-gluing to do tomorrow round the motor box.carbon reinforcements popped loose and may have other cracks lol...
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
cartwheeled mine yesterday..oops..low hover ( in the wind but a crowd pulled up at the local state park so you know what that means) i had put a battery in that was going bad and only lasted like 5 minutes..It only lasted about 3.5 yesterday.. pulling out of the hover it started going down and wouldnt pull out..I went to pushing the elevator forward for a harrier landing and el gusto blew my over sideways and into cartwheel city..got a little re-gluing to do tomorrow round the motor box.carbon reinforcements popped loose and may have other cracks lol...
I had two of those "landings" yesterday... first one no damage. next one popped out an sfg and broke the landing gear. (flubbed a hover catch...) really I was surprised there was no other damage...very tough plane.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Extremely tough plane lol..This one should have been grave yard dead from the first weekend I maidened it lol... ay Losi?
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:48 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,615 Posts
funny that you mention that, mine suffered a servo failure and rxr brownout on maiden day. some cosmetic damage but otherwise still flying great.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:11 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
soo... started assembly.... only nice brand i can compare is 3dhs(my favourite... and so far... covering quality?3dhs vins hands down... covering is excelent here aswell but inner corners,corners and stuff..seems like covered in a rush...

i saw a front wheels and laughed, saw tailweel, and was happy...tailwheel seems very nice(much better than 3dhs 1.5 buck huck and 42" slick, on par with57") what i really liked was there is no vire, so nothing can get lost!
but front wheels seems so small....

landing gear seems so fragile? (and i have read here that it breaks often...).. 42" slick gear seems similar in dimensions and much tougher... (what you guys think? possible exchange?)

cowl made me smile! no more 3dhs cowl shoe-horning on the fuse, nice, easy fit, has a nice baffle on the bottom, so cooling also should be improved over 3dhs counterparts (theoretically)

cannopy hatch latch seemed very rusty....(i AM picky lol)

included baffles is a NICE touch!

rudder hinge line was off center, had to recut it..

and so far i have gotten into a problem...
i have allways tought that geting control horn on the hinge line is important... but here, not a single control horn gets on the hinge line, all of them goes over,,,, i know for hig rates only its not a problem, but for getting similar travel on low rates, it is just a PITA!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:15 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
rimaarts, I was pretty picky, too, but just wait until you get it in the air. Flies great looks great is great.

My landing gear broke, but I had a fast landing with one wheel in dandilions. I receive a replacement in the mail (thanks EF for the speedy and trouble free processing and shipment). I was also able to repair the original.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:26 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
rimaarts, I was pretty picky, too, but just wait until you get it in the air. Flies great looks great is great.

My landing gear broke, but I had a fast landing with one wheel in dandilions. I receive a replacement in the mail (thanks EF for the speedy and trouble free processing and shipment). I was also able to repair the original.
i know i know, in the air, you mostly dont see even a partly white(fibreglass-repaired) landing gear, but on the ground its annoying lol...
only 2 things im complaining...
a) rudder hinges was off
b)front wheels is small (for grass fields imho)
c)control horns doesnt get on hinge lines..(im not sure is it even a complain)
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:30 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
I understand, trust me. I was complaining, too. Until I got her to the field and had people wanting to buy the thing without even seeing it fly. I have to try very hard to remember what I was complaining about now. I think it was mostly that it didn't come pre-assembled by Chris himself.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:36 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
I understand, trust me. I was complaining, too. Until I got her to the field and had people wanting to buy the thing without even seeing it fly. I have to try very hard to remember what I was complaining about now. I think it was mostly that it didn't come pre-assembled by Chris himself.
ha... i know i will like the way it flies...

but so far noone has said, is it normal for control horns not to go on hinge line...
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:56 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,575 Posts
The wheels are fine for thick grass. They work better with wheel pants because it kinda "floats" a little bit on top of the grass. My 48" Edge w/pants handles my runway better than my 60" w/o pants.

And I agree, once you get it in the air you'll be blown away with how precise and nimble these EXPs are . I was a 3DHS kool-aid drinker about... 1.5-2 years ago. Then I bought my first EXP and as much as I've wanted to try the newer 3DHS designs that come out, as soon as I have the money I end up buying another EXP instead

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Stuff!
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:59 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
ha... i know i will like the way it flies...

but so far noone has said, is it normal for control horns not to go on hinge line...
"On the hinge line"? Like in the bevel or next to the hinge line? I'd take a picture of where mine are but my internet is down so I'm using 3G on my phone and it won't let me upload pics from my phone to RCG.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Stuff!