HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,805 Posts
Motojunk,
I'm absolutely taking nothing away from the skill and ingenuity that it took to make it work. Making a working smoke system in these small electric models is a great achievement, especially if you are making the smoke generator cartridges yourself, i'd be interested in what the formula is?

But it seems that we are on the same page when it comes to the effectiveness and practicality of the system in these small models with current technology.

So maybe not completely 'Mr Negative'.. maybe 'Mr Realistic'?
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:05 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
I think your system looks awesome in the air! While I've only made smoke on my electrics on accident, I can see with some futher refinement on your project that this maybe become a viable low-cost alternative to buying a gas motor/smoke system.

Call me Mr. Positive today. I love what you did! and nice flying too by the way
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. More smoke in the future for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Motojunk,
I'm absolutely taking nothing away from the skill and ingenuity that it took to make it work. Making a working smoke system in these small electric models is a great achievement, especially if you are making the smoke generator cartridges yourself, i'd be interested in what the formula is?

But it seems that we are on the same page when it comes to the effectiveness and practicality of the system in these small models with current technology.

So maybe not completely 'Mr Negative'.. maybe 'Mr Realistic'?
Oh, no worries, I didn't take offense to anything you said It certainly came off as more realistic than negative! I knew that would be the first thing criticized when I tested just the smoke cartridge on its own, haha. And yes, we are definitely on the same page as far as practicality goes. I buy my planes to fly and abuse to their full potential, not to look pretty, so keeping it practical for actual use is a big thing to me. As of right now, the whole thing gets removed with a single servo screw so you can go back to the stock setup in about the same time it takes to change a battery.

Currently I'm purchasing the smoke cartridges, but ideally I'd like to make them to my own specifications once I figure out a proper cool burning formula. One concern is being able to acquire the materials without getting put on a watch list for purchasing pyrotechnic supplies Technically, smoke bombs are considered explosives.
Motojunk is online now Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:51 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
Currently I'm purchasing the smoke cartridges, but ideally I'd like to make them to my own specifications once I figure out a proper cool burning formula. One concern is being able to acquire the materials without getting put on a watch list for purchasing pyrotechnic supplies Technically, smoke bombs are considered explosives.
reason i was interested is that I used to fly small models jets powered by tiny rocket motors, similar to Estes but of a cooler, slower longer burning formula. They are based on an Ammonium Perchlorate oxidiser and zink/HTPB fuel formula, quite similar to the solid boosters on the Space Shuttle (and you know how much smoke they make) I thought yours may be something similar.

As you say.. the chemicals are really hard to get these days. Formula attached for the slow burning rockets should you be interested.. do try not to blow your fingers off

Steve
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
Had a mishap with my brand new 48" MXS... Anyone have any spare parts for sale?! I pretty much took out everything except the wings.
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan49 View Post
I have nearly finished building my MXS but have ran into a problem when fitting the motor,
I am using a hacker A30 14L it seem to be very close to the cowl nearly sticking out the front off it has anybody else came across this.

Alan
I seem to be fine mounting the A30 14L Wasn't too close to the cowl for me. I do have the cowl quite far out, however I didn't use any spacers

If you want more help, make sure to ask
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:07 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsy View Post
Had a mishap with my brand new 48" MXS... Anyone have any spare parts for sale?! I pretty much took out everything except the wings.
I've got an entire red kit available. I'll PM you to see if you want it.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
3RN13
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
439 Posts
Quote:
So what happened? Any idea what caused the crash?

Ernie
ernie b is offline Find More Posts by ernie b
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:40 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
You can get replacement fuses if they are in stock. Even if they aren't listed on the web site, just send them an e-mail and they'll let you know the cost. A replacement fuse does include a new rudder but no hor stab or elevator. The cost on a new fuse is usually very reasonable. When I got one for my 60" Edge if I remember correctly it was just a little over a hundred bucks or so with shipping.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:07 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,805 Posts
For those of you running the Hacker A30-14L V2 here's something to watch out for.. this is my A30-14L after the mounting plate sheared from the bearing tube in flight. Looks like metal fatigue.

Best avoid WOT KE spins, that seems to be the motor killer.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Jun 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
I seem to be fine mounting the A30 14L Wasn't too close to the cowl for me. I do have the cowl quite far out, however I didn't use any spacers

If you want more help, make sure to ask
Thanks would you have any photos off your build it wouild be a great help.
thanks Alan
alan49 is offline Find More Posts by alan49
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:11 AM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie b View Post
So what happened? Any idea what caused the crash?

Ernie
I have a very good idea of what caused the crash.
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:35 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,456 Posts
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Aug 05, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
It looks like the shaft broke too in your photo..
The flailing motor ripped itself out of the plane taking half the motor box and cowl with it. The shaft and prop snapped when it hit the ground

I've busted three motors in the same way in the last month
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:37 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
For those of you running the Hacker A30-14L V2 here's something to watch out for.. this is my A30-14L after the mounting plate sheared from the bearing tube in flight. Looks like metal fatigue.

Best avoid WOT KE spins, that seems to be the motor killer.
From the look of the break, that metal is dull, so I would suspect a bad casting. Send it back. I don't speak for Hacker, but my best guess is that they don't want that motor out there being showed off and they will replace it.

Amazing, though, that something like a KE spin will break metal, but the wood motorbox is fine. I used to fly one very short coupled plane that would blender like a top, and I could break an aluminum motor mount on command just by hitting a blender with a lot of speed and jamming the throttle on entry. One time I actually pulled a brand X motor apart just like yours did, and it spit it out the front of the plane, hanging by the wires. The best part was that it wasn't even my plane!
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Apr 2009
1 Posts
How is your Hitec A9 working?
jkay is offline Find More Posts by jkay