SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
The pins can only handle a little over 7 amps before they heat up. Jpf did dome testing on this.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:25 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,490 Posts
Leaving rudder throw on the table

The rudder on this plane is back further than the Extra. During assembly, it looks like I got the rudder's control arm hole about 1 mm in front of the hinge line. (I have to remember to not put the control arm on until after I hinge the rudder...)

The first point should mean I get a lot of rudder. However, I'm leaving about 3/4" of throw on the table for right rudder because the control arm hits the fuselage.

How much rudder do you guys have?

Also, another question...I like symmetrical throws, but based on my experimenting in the past, I've learned (or think I've learned) that if the hole for the control arm isn't centered on the hinge line, getting symmetrical throws for equal stick movements means a lot more work.

How important is it for you 3D pilots to have symmetrical throws in practice? I always set my planes up this way, but I'm wondering if I am just wasting my time, and should instead only worry about mostly symmetrical to 20-30 degrees or so.

I think I'll get about 45-55 degrees right rudder with the control arm hitting the fuse. I'm considering dirlling a new hole on the control arm and filing the old one away to get more...not sure if the additional 3/4" would be worht it.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:33 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,007 Posts
You could try redrilling the hole further aft on the control horn and then grinding the horn off so it clears the fuse. As far as the hole being direcly over the hinge line I've often wondered if it really matters, it would seem like you can easily compensate for it being off just by adjusting the radio.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:34 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
You could try redrilling the hole further aft on the control horn and then grinding the horn off so it clears the fuse. As far as the hole being direcly over the hinge line I've often wondered if it really matters, it would seem like you can easily compensate for it being off just by adjusting the radio.
Thanks.

You can compensate for it with EPA in the radio or in a programmable servo, and also by changing the angle of the servo arm 0 and length of control rod, but I don't know if I would say it is easy in that it has on another plane taken me a good deal of time to figure out a good compromise, and I also wonder about the change in resolution left/right. On the other hand, in the extreme throw range, precision is probably not necessary, and a slight change in resolution is probably not noticable to me at least.

I'm not a mechanically inclinded person who can think about moments in three dimmentsions and intuitively figure out the consequence of a change--I have to actually make the change and see the result. Perhaps with experience I will figure it out, but for now it take a time and fiddling. But on planes where I have the control surface control arms perpindicular, the hole lined up with the hinge line, and the servo arm 90 degrees, the radio set up goes so much faster.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:43 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
844 Posts
I'd just even it out with EPA and fly it.
propchief is online now Find More Posts by propchief
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,490 Posts
Yeah, I might do that, but I'm the type of person who likes to leave nothing but a bad pilot to blame for a bad flight.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:13 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
I'de go with what Propchief said.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:03 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
681 Posts
So I've been toying around with the idea of making some kind of smoke system for electrics and I've been working on a system for my MXS. I tested it yesterday and I'm really glad to say that the concept was a total success, but the low volume of smoke ended up looking more like regular engine exhaust rather than a decent amount of smoke. Still cool for being electric though It's basically a fairly cool burning smoke bomb with remote ignition. The whole system only weighs about 30-35 grams too, so it's not too heavy(I barely noticed it), and it removes with a single servo screw. It lasts about 60-75 seconds and I could double up on the cartridges for more smoke in the future which would only add about 9 grams. I got some video of a quick test flight yesterday. I'll post it when I get a chance to edit it. There's an unnecessary amount of profanity in the background from a conversation the guys were having, haha. Does anyone here know off hand of any other smoke systems for small electrics? It would be cool to see some other designs.
Motojunk is online now Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:31 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
So I've been toying around with the idea of making some kind of smoke system for electrics and I've been working on a system for my MXS. I tested it yesterday and I'm really glad to say that the concept was a total success, but the low volume of smoke ended up looking more like regular engine exhaust rather than a decent amount of smoke. Still cool for being electric though It's basically a fairly cool burning smoke bomb with remote ignition. The whole system only weighs about 30-35 grams too, so it's not too heavy(I barely noticed it), and it removes with a single servo screw. It lasts about 60-75 seconds and I could double up on the cartridges for more smoke in the future which would only add about 9 grams. I got some video of a quick test flight yesterday. I'll post it when I get a chance to edit it. There's an unnecessary amount of profanity in the background from a conversation the guys were having, haha. Does anyone here know off hand of any other smoke systems for small electrics? It would be cool to see some other designs.
I haven't heard of any, but that sounds awesome! I can't wait for the video. I'd love to have a big one for a 27%er I have that is electric.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:02 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,490 Posts
Yah, just google it...they exist, aren't cheap, and the volume of smoke leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:19 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Sounds awesome!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:29 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Or just offset the arm on the servo slightly to match.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:01 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Yah, just google it...they exist, aren't cheap, and the volume of smoke leaves a lot to be desired.
Interesting stuff for sure. Seems like the biggest issue is the volume of smoke. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good amount with future designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I haven't heard of any, but that sounds awesome! I can't wait for the video. I'd love to have a big one for a 27%er I have that is electric.

--Tom K.
It would be fairly easy with my concept to add quite a bit more smoke for larger electrics! I'm somewhat limited on space inside the MXS, and trying to keep weight to a minimum for unhindered 3D performance, but with something of that size you could add multiple, longer burning cartridges at a very low cost in weight/flight performance. I wish I had a larger plane at the moment to experiment with. All in due time...

Anyway, here's the video. Again, it looks more like regular exhaust at this point, but being electric it's still pretty cool and the fact that it doesn't greatly negatively affect 3D performance keeps it practical instead of demoting the plane to sport flying.

Be sure to watch in HD too
Small Electric Smoke System - Extreme Flight 48" MXS-EXP (2 min 7 sec)
Motojunk is online now Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
Awesome! I love the concept Will definitely be buying when the real thing is out! And the flying was great!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,619 Posts
that was awesome.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk