SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Rasterize, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:49 PM
The world in foam & tissue
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2010
620 Posts
Discussion
My first blog entry!

My RC flying hobby started at the age of 12, or at least the desire started then! Lack of resources kept me from actively pursuing RC flying. For 33 years I told myself it was too expensive or I didn’t have enough time. Seem as though both the hobby and I have changed. The hobby has become much bigger/better and yes cheaper! I hope I have too! At least the better part
Three weeks before Fathers Day of 2010, my wonderful wife gave me a Super Cub LP to try out. I loved it as much as I thought I would! Foam and electrics have made the hobby much more attainable from a financial perspective. I have found that I love every aspect of the hobby; building, flying, (crashing not as much) rebuilding and even watching others fly. Even just within the realm of RC flying I have found a lot of diversity in what and how people fly. Between RC Groups.com and my local club (RAMS) I have learned so much. I thank them for sharing their knowledge of love of the hobby. The excitement most people have for this hobby is very contagious! I hope that I will be able to help others get as much enjoyment out of this hobby as I have! With that in mind I’m trying to come up with my “RC Philosophy”

My RC Philosophy A list of stuff I have learned so far and to help remind me how to get the most out of the hobby!
1 - RC is my hobby, not my life. Keep it in perspective. When I can’t see my family before the fuselage it may be time to re-prioritize.
2 - Put something positive into it. Help others the best you can. Never criticize, or belittle and don’t go there even if others do... even when you really think they deserve it! Remember the “If you don’t have anything nice to say…” adage, especially on-line.
3 - Get something positive out of it (learn something) and/or enjoy it! When I stop learning from it and it stops being enjoyable it’s time to get out.
4 - Try as many types of planes and build techniques and materials as possible! There so much cool stuff in RC flying not to at least try as much as possible. Some guy had “So many planes, so little time.” as his user title. How very true.
5 - Fly! Get some stick time every week even if it's on the simulator. This is a hobby that does take some commitment to be enjoyable. You will like it a lot better if you can fly and you can fly a lot longer when you practice!
6 - RCGroups is an awesome place filled with awesome people (with a few nuts thrown in it keep it "interesting") so share the wealth. If you make a little money with this hobby, put it back into the hobby.
TBC
Rasterize is offline Find More Posts by Rasterize
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Rasterize; Jul 19, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:24 PM
Wannabe Flyer
United States, IL, Decatur
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
welcome to rcg! i hope you enjot your super cub. i loved mine i've been in the hobby for 2years and i'm 15. i'm hoping to get into fpv flying good luck i see your also in rochestor ny i'm moving out to long island where do you fly?
MUSTANGP51LOVE is offline Find More Posts by MUSTANGP51LOVE
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:24 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
755 Posts
Great first posting. Sounds similar to my story, flew control line as a teenager and young married man and dreamt about radio control but could never afford it. Then once the kids were grown up and I turned 50, my wife bought me my first radio control plane. That was 2 years ago and it's been a blast ever since.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Flyer
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
you nkow i never really understood cl, you fly around in circles right?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:34 AM
The world in foam & tissue
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2010
620 Posts
Thanks! I usually fly out at the RAMS club airfield north of Palmyra. It's nice to ave a place where there are not any "park like" distractions and worries to fly!
Rasterize is offline Find More Posts by Rasterize
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:46 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
755 Posts
CL - Yep, we flew around in circles. I started doing it with planes based on Cox .049 motors, then graduated to larger stuff. Fairly easy to fly, take offs were tricky depending on who launched the plane.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:12 PM
Wannabe Flyer
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
i never really like that i did it once... thats it