Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:11 AM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
408 Posts
Discussion
60" C-5 Galaxy fully molded (in work)

I have decided to move this over here to the scratch built forum, as it is scratch built! I didn't really have any thread before just posted some odds n in's pix.

Anyways, this is a smaller version of my in works turbine powered one. It will be a fully molded fuselage/wings when completed with carbon reinforcement in critical areas. Hoping for less than 8 lbs ready to fly and will be setup for 4 x 60mm fans for the scale size nacelles. Operational retracts and flaps and lights will be incorporated...

The airplane was derived from Lockheed plans/maintenance books that i had..

Here are some pics of the in-work plug, still needs some work on the finish but it will be smooth as a baby's butt when done.

The build will probably take longer than most as i fly for a living and am gone very frequently, so stick with me as i do this......This will be the official forum for this build
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:38 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,615 Posts
I'll be watching this progress! And when you are ready to fly it, maybe I can shoot some photos and video for you?
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:46 AM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
408 Posts
sounds good Bajora
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:03 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
That is going to be one sweet looking plane. It already looks the part. Oh, as for the build being slow cause your a pilot. Hey no worries, I bet that plane will be done before you have paint on the walls and thats all that matters.

Subscribed
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:09 AM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
408 Posts
HAHA, I have just never painted those walls because i didnt want to ;-)))
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:32 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,560 Posts
Good to see the build thread. Good luck with your build.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:27 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
522 Posts
Good effort matey! Just a thought: if you're reckoning on 8lbs all-up weight you might want to hop up your EDFs from 60mm as I fear you may suffer a lack of performance. Can you go to 4x 64mm without spoiling the look of your aircraft? I'm currently getting over 900g installed from a really basic cheap-as-you-like 5-blade fan in my Art Tech Typhoon, so without the lengthy intake, bifurcated exhaust etc you should get more. I simply use a nice chunky 4000kv motor sourced from ebay and delivered for 10 GBP (about $16 USD). These suckers pull up to 50A static on 4s and sound great. I use a bargain ESC too (about the same price as the motor) rated at 45A (60A burst) and it runs flight after flight after flight without breaks and never misses a beat or gets hot.

I'm not trying to sell you this stuff, but if you want improved performance on a budget I can point you in the right direction, please feel free to PM me. Might be useful when hauling that big old jet of the deck!

SI
Si Goodchild is offline Find More Posts by Si Goodchild
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:39 PM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
408 Posts
Thanks fo the idea.. But the galaxy should do just fine on 4 60mm, as it is not meant to be a powerhouse :-))
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:11 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,232 Posts
Cool project
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:18 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,489 Posts
Great looking project. Terrific job so far on the fuse. And not to throw cold water on a hot project, but I really worry about a flying weight of 8 lbs on a 60 inch wing span. You didn't give a projected wing area but I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 700 sq. in. The plane will have to be pretty fast flying with that wing loading (estimated ~24 oz/sq ft.). I guess what I saying is that it won't have a scale flying appearance. Anyway, best wishes.
Tony
tpfing is online now Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:49 AM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
408 Posts
Hey Tony.....thanks, but i just want to say that-8 lbs is a max guess on the weight...As there will be no formers other than gear formers, and the layup will be glass and carbon in all the right place, i am thinking it will be way lighter!! We will see!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:41 PM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
408 Posts
update

OK, been a long time because i have been having battles trying to find my (normally easy to procure) pink foam. Anyways, heres the top of the wing done (minus a little finshing sanding). Time to blend the bottom!! Almost ready top mold!! BTW- I desided on a clark y airfoil to make it really nice with slow flight!!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:58 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,148 Posts
I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No but seriously... lookin good there buddy. Did i read right that you are moving? where to?
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:09 PM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
408 Posts
Just moving to a new house here (we live on base, and they just built REALLY nice 4 bedroom homes!)..

Thanks bud@!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:54 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,127 Posts
Outstanding work Nick. Just for reference... my BAe-146 flies nice on 800 watts (watts IN, it's probably only about 60 percent efficient on brushed motors) and it weighs about 8 pounds. So depending on how much air you will move, and it could be a lot less, you should be very happy on anything around that watt figure even if you are moving less air (small fans) given my sizable disadvantage in motor efficiency.

PS - I used to always be able to buy pink and blue high density foam at Home Depot but I see they no longer sell the stuff. Are you mail ordering it these days? I'm penciling a new scratch build and I'm almost thinking about using depron formers and balsa sheet with glass over the top as it's so hard to find carving foam these days.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member