HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:13 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Discussion
Wildfire!!

The fire is about 5 miles from my house as the crow flies. This one broke out today and last weekend the Fourmile fire broke out and burned over 170 homes. Not sure if we have a firebug or just more careless campers. Really hope they get it out soon.

I took a ride over there and shot some pics and video. Here are a few of the pictures.

See the Sky Crane sucking up the water?

Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:36 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,381 Posts
Is that the little reservoir/lake in Loveland? My sister lives on the shore. She and brother in law built half that house from what it was when they bought it. I'm sure it's insured but I'm also sure they don't want to lose it or its contents.

I know the dewpoint in CO is always in single digits, but is it normal for the roadside flora to be that dry this time of year?
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:26 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
That is one strange looking heli.

We get crazy wildfires around here every now and then, this year has been a very calm one with hardly any fires so far.

Watched that fire on the news today and it looks pretty scary.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker View Post

We get crazy wildfires around here every now and then, this year has been a very calm one with hardly any fires so far.

Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/sik_s-64.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-64_Skycrane
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:35 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Thanks for the links DT56.
Amazing what that thing can carry.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:51 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
We see this kind of scene every year. I hope you'll not be effected.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:55 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
That heli looks just like the one working our fire. It got to within 1/2 mile of my house. Exciting times. It was like a war zone, the sky was continually full of engines, rotors, and winged things. Smoke billowing up just short ways away.

It puts one in an interesting frame of mind to be wondering if you'll still have your house in an hour or two. I don't need that kind of interesting.

The big 4 prop water bomber was here and coming right in low over the house. My boy was shouting "yay, yay, B17 daddy!" and racing around with his die cast B17. I didn't have the heart to tell him it wasn't...it looks close enough, and why spoil it?
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:19 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Goat, you got a fire up near your place too? Dang. I hope you guys end up okay.

Question for you. As long as it stops just before it gets to the top, doesn't a fire just make the flow of the slope cleaner?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:27 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker View Post

Jake said it was the 'mosquito helicopter'.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:35 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay View Post
Goat, you got a fire up near your place too? Dang. I hope you guys end up okay.

Question for you. As long as it stops just before it gets to the top, doesn't a fire just make the flow of the slope cleaner?
A couple of weeks ago I'm feeding a tuna/dill sandwich into my face at work when the phone rings and the wife says "wildfire on the other side of the ridge, come home now', click.

That gets your attention. Of course, on the way home I have the inevitable tide of road idiots who are in front of you in such cases. If it's not the winnie hauling a boat, it's the tractor with apple crates. When he pulls off, the toyota loaded with too many logs pulls onto the road a block ahead. As I get within five miles and turn the big corner on the Columbia to where I can see the hills around my house, a massive cloud comes into view, coming from right near my house. That's exciting! And not in a good way.

There's a cop blocking the road up the mountain, but he's talking to some one, I go a hundred feet farther, put the 'runner in 4x4 and go down into the ditch and up the other side into the lot there, then punch it up the road behind him. I figure he's got other fish to fry. I pass about a zillion fire crews, and fire on both side of the road, get to my house and the wife has all the cats crated and is throwing stuff into her car willy nilly. Then the horse trailer shows up, we load the animals, and then wife and son and step daughter head out to lead the trailer folks to where we can keep the animals about ten miles away.

So there I am, a beautiful day, no power thus no water, WWIII taking place over my head, smoke filling eastern half of the sky, starting just down the road. There are choppers, and more choppers, and bigger choppers, and fixed wing up high, and the twin which is the run spotter for the bomber, and the bomber itself.

I basically have no idea what to do. Luckily, we are upwind of the fire and it's not making much headway and the fire folks are hitting it hard. I have an escape plan on where to go, the road uphill from our place is directly upwind even farther and I can go over the mountain to safety. I figure if the crews reach the houses a couple doors down, I'll bail.

It never comes to that, three hours later the smoke near me is much reduced and farther away downwind, it's worse. At about 6PM they let my wife come back up the hill. Excitement over.

I had no idea what do to during that time, my mind is a scramble of indecision, worry, and trepidation, so I gave the shop the most thorough cleaning it has ever had. For the next three to four hours as the air war rages on above me, I am lugging and moving and sweeping and sorting, and throwing trash and stuff I am sick of looking at into the back of the pickup for a dump run. I was a blur of furious action. It was the only way I could keep my mind busy.

I now have more floor space than I have had since we moved in. The wife is right...cleaning can be therapeutic. Boy was I tired that evening.

Here's a vid of the 'B17' shot from our front porch

I have a pretty nice one I took from down the road, it shows an actual retardant dump by the bomber, but it's too long for flickr. Just after the tanks are empty, the plane goes right over my place.
Last edited by MtnGoat; Sep 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:51 AM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
I was up fishing at pinewood res, the fishing sucked
so we headed back down and drove right past the
fire when it was still a grassfire.

Called 911 and was told I was #5 to report it
then hightailed it down the hill before they closed
the roads.

Spent the rest of the day jaw dropped watching
the chaos.

I might upload some pics later.

The overwhelming thought I had was that people are idiots. While trying to get out of the area to let the firefighters get in people were stopping right in the middle of the road and getting out of their cars completely blocking at least one lane......$@$#!@#!@ idiots.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:57 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,392 Posts
I hope you guys end up OK!

Not something we see, generally in my part of the country - but I can imagine how worrying it is...

(Also a time when you appreciate the bravery of those firefighters...)
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:08 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
From "Grapevine Fires"

And the firemen worked in double shifts
With prayers for rain on their lips
And they knew it was only a matter of time

Hope it turns out alright. Lord preserve our friends and firemen.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:41 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Both parents live in fire zones, so we wait with lumps in our throats, every time we hear of a nearby fire.

The in-laws had a fire go right by them, on either side. They have a little 3 acre parcel of green on top of a slight hill, with unimproved bone dry wild lands on 3 sides. After that fire they bought a gas powered pump to take advantage of the swimming pool. As Goat says, no power = no water. It's sitting in the garage, a victim of my late father-in-laws increasing disabilities as he aged. In fact, we talked about fixing it up this weekend while rewiring the back lights on the 56 F-100. You need a spot of water, a pump, and an engine. Then you can get everything wet wet wet.

You also need to dust everything off once a month during fire season to make sure it works.

My parents had plans for a sprinkler system on their roof to cover the decks and surrounds, powered by the emergency generator and fed from the every present hot tub (this is California we're talking about). The roofs themselves are steep-pitched metal, which sheds fire like it sheds snow. I think the deep winter snows kept them from putting up a year round system. Now they are not of the age that they can scramble up the roof to install such a system every spring.

Glad to hear everyone is okay.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:46 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
My fire crew buddy said we should get a gas powered pump with 1.5 standard fire line output and use our pool as a reservoir. I'm thinking that is a good move. I like the sprinklers idea.