SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:47 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
Discussion
I guess I'm keeping my Blade 400 after all...

I finally got around to installing the 9T pinion and I flew it a couple of weeks ago. It softened up the response and lowered the headspeed which is exactly what I was trying to do. Flew it once and landed without issue. I went to fly it a 2nd time and the motor wouldn't spin up. Checked everything and still nothing. Pulled the motor out and it did not turn freely anymore. I figured the stock motor finally died so I ordered a Scorpion HK-2216-12 with a 10T pinion. Finally got that installed this weekend and went to test it out and the motor wouldn't spin up. Same exact symptoms as the stock motor. Hmmm... things seemed a little rough so I started taking it apart and before I knew it, I had practically disassembled the entire helicopter and the motor STILL wouldn't turn. It was at that moment - once I had taken in almost completely apart, of course - that I noticed I was not getting beeps from the ESC. The BEC was working fine but no motor beeps. The ESC died... and I bought a $50 for no reason. Might as well keep it, but now I have to buy another $55 Align 35A ESC. Interesting that this all happened once I went down to a 9T pinion. I was only pulling ~22A when I had the 10T pinion installed, no way going down in tooth count pulled more amps to kill the ESC.

So since I'm on my 2nd $55 Align ESC, a $50 motor, the E-Flite metal head, upgraded tail servo, upgraded gyro, and a scale fuselage, I probably could ahve bought two or three Blade 400s by now. I was thinking about selling it but I guess I'm keeping it now, what with all the money I've poured into it. Is this what owning a boat is like?
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:58 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Hey Mike, I feel your pain. I myself do not put big money into my helis for one reason is because I have so many of them. I basically buy some of the more inexpensive items out there and so far I have been having excellent results with most of em. $12.00 30 amp escs
$15.00 brushless motors I honestly cant remember the last time I had a motor bad or a ESC burn up one me. Its been well over a year, maybe two years. Im still flying a brushed tail motor thats about two- two and a half years old with "goo gobs" of flight hours. Last time I fried a ESC was I would say a couple years ago, Got a new Belt CP and before it left the ground, smoke billowed from under the canopy. Didnt even get in the first flight from what suppose to have been a RTF.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:15 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
check out the aeolian 40a-sw or 45a-sw esc`s on ebay. they are under 30 shipped and are a very decent esc.
i have one of the 45a-sw`s in my exi v2 and have another coming for my exi Le.

even the 30a or 35a switching (sw) esc`s would be good, i just like the bigger power out of the 45`s.
heres where i bought both my 45a`s, http://cgi.ebay.com/Aeolian-40A-SW-E...18259252049383
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Last edited by bad400; Sep 12, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:50 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I had already ordered another Align 35A ESC but I'll keep this in mind should I need another one. I've always had very good luck with ESCs; I think this is the first one that has just up and died on me for no reason. I've fried them before with reverse polarity, and destroyed them in crashes, but this is a first for me. Oh well, I'll get it installed and just deal with it.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again