HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2010, 01:31 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,049 Posts
Pete - Any interest in doing a Golden Age racer? I was thinking if I end up using the 6mm DD drive, it'll probably end up being a bit faster than the GB05 driven ones... seems like it would warrant a little speedster! Maybe a GB D, Howard Ike, or XF6C-6 Page Racer.

Thanks again for the wonderful plans.

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 05:48 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
Thanks Peter, sure I will do.

Led, many years ago, a guys from Japan designed many indoor micro racers, even the Gee Bee Z, with full 3D fuselage, even here we saw them. The plane that is neat in those years racers planes is the classic GeeBee R2.
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Nov 01, 2010, 05:59 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,604 Posts
J.B.,
I'd love to see how it works with the 6 mm motor. What receiver would you use?

Anyway, as promised, here's a selection of pilots. There should be something there to suit all the models in this range. Not the most artistic representation perhaps, but they'll fill the empty cockpits.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:23 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,049 Posts
Pete - I'd use the Butterfy Rx, it should work fine. There were several in the indoor forum that built full fuse 1:48 scale Hellcats that used 6mm pager motors. It'll be a little heavier and a bit faster, but it should work.

J. B.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:32 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,604 Posts
J.B.,
I almost missed your racers query mate. Given something to work from (3 view) and colour info, I see no problem with drawing a couple. On 6 mm drive they'd probably be too fast for our hall though. Probably best just to draw the model and let the builder make any cut-outs to suit what gear he uses.

The weight of the Dr1 is starting to balloon. With tailplane, motor, actuator and receiver fitted, u/c, prop and pushrod still to go on, it's now up to 4.8 grams. I really must learn to use less glue.

Pete
Old Nov 02, 2010, 01:27 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,604 Posts
Okay, so maybe the triplane weight didn't end up that bad afterall. Minus the battery, the finished weight is 5.6 grams.
Here it is, but I won't find out how it flies for a few weeks, at our next indoor session. Still, gives me time to get the N28 and SPAD finished too. Unless I decide to do the Morane or newer N11 first.

Pete
Old Nov 02, 2010, 05:48 PM
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Joined Dec 2007
374 Posts
Hi Pete-

Nice triplane....

The weight is not bad, there is a lot of foam there. If it will help- I have used a 4" cf prop (4027-4030) on the GB05 to add more thrust with no problems.

And thanks for the pilots, they are perfect.
shagrug is offline Find More Posts by shagrug
Old Nov 02, 2010, 06:11 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Okay, so maybe the triplane weight didn't end up that bad afterall. Minus the battery, the finished weight is 5.6 grams.
Here it is, but I won't find out how it flies for a few weeks, at our next indoor session. Still, gives me time to get the N28 and SPAD finished too. Unless I decide to do the Morane or newer N11 first.

Pete

Very nice model, elegant with personality even the actuator looks like is a part of the shape I noticed some thinks so please tell me, do only camber is in top wing? wath foam did you used? the interplane struts are build in CF as cabanes?

Congratulations one more time...is that Lotharīs plane?

Cheers.

Al
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:05 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,604 Posts
Al,
Many thanks for the kind comments.
As anyone who knows me is aware, I never take the obvious route. Okay, so a triplane simply has to be a von R job, so I opted for the lesser known brother, Lothar.

Yes, camber on top wing only. It seems to work fine on the other models. I thought it might help keep the drag down.
Foam is .025" Durobatics.
Yes, the i/p struts are a single piece of .5 mm carbon rod with foam each side to make them look more in keeping. Being tubular, I felt plain carbon rod was fine for the centre section and u/c.

shagrug,
I'm glad the pilots were of use.
I do actually have a couple of 4027 props on order, to arrive with another receiver/motor/actuator set-up. It is one of those, one I've had for ages, that hauls the N11 around so nicely. So, if needed, I can change the prop for a bigger one.

A quick note about the Dr1, don't join the middle wing, it won't fit through the slot. I fitted the joined bottom wing, then added the middle wing panels, complete with i/p struts, then glued on the joined top wing. C/s struts are added after that assembly is completely dry.

Pete
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:38 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,311 Posts
Hi Pete,
All your designs are absolutely stunning.

Do you have a design similar to the Micro Jacket from Plantraco? My weight goal is about 12 grams AUW.

Cheers,
Harsha
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:55 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,604 Posts
J.B.
I can see how that Gee Bee u/c could give problems. Might work if the wing was 0.05" Durobatics though - and your landings are good.

I don't see any major problems with the Ike.

Harsha,
This is fairly new to me, so only what's here is available. Did you mean the Micro Racer Yellow Jacket? If so, the Ike or Gee Bee might suit. I did start a Shoestring, but a power cut caused the computer to totally erase the file.

Pete
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:22 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,049 Posts
Pete - Good point about the GB LG. I've only got .025 Durobatics, so I'd have to put some 1mm Depron on it for re-enforcement or use a bit of CF rod. I could use some small bits of balsa, but then it's sort of like we're getting way from the simplistic beauty of these little guys...
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:05 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
Guys, I do not have durobatic, and my printer do not handle with 1mm depron, so I printed the Dr.1 in bond paper, and wish to glue the templates to depron or thin blue foam...but wath glue do you use? the std. stick glue do not work fine

Any advise is welcome.

Cheers.

Al
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:49 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,604 Posts
Al,
Have you tried spray mount? I know it works for tissue, but have never tried bond paper.

I've given a bit more thought to the Gee Bee and think it could work without too much trouble. Either print a double sided wing on Durobatics, or a single sided one on 1 mm Depron. The u/c is double sided, with a couple of carbon rods between the layers. These rods locate in the lower wing skin and carbon rod braces, where the wing braces are on the original, brace the wing/u/c to the fuselage. The u/c will need to be firmly glued to the wing, but it would work.
As such, I just have the tailplane left to draw and will post the file tomorrow. Yes, it does have a pretty ugly version of the panther logo on it.

Pete