Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:17 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,309 Posts
Hi Pete,
Thank you for your plans.

I made my first Wildcat. Its not painted yet. The model weigh only 0.80grams. I don't have the butterfly receiver. I have the 0.9g receiver from Plantraco. Also I have to build my own hinge actuator. I have used 6mm coreless motor from my old IR heli. And the battery is 50mah lipo from HK.

All up weight is 7.10 grams.

I did a test flight without the rudder actuator. It can fly really well. I am going to order the butterfly receiver and and 20-30mah lipo and try and reduce the weight to 5 grams AUW.

Cheers,
Harsha
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:52 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,309 Posts
I made one of these models a True Desktop RTP

here is the video..

True Desktop RTP (1 min 2 sec)
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
Old Oct 04, 2010, 07:28 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Harsha,
That looks great fun and it's great to see someone else building the models.

I'm working on the Waco SRE at the moment, deciding to mount the gear externally, instead of sandwiching the wiring between the sides. It helps me keep the build a little neater and meant I could get the model built while waiting for more radio gear to arrive.
Fully assembled, except for u/c and equipment, weight is currently 2.5 grams. I thought it would probably be easier to fit the gear without an u/c in the way.

I'm thoroughly enjoying playing around with this idea and am considering other types to draw up.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:16 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
The SRE is now completed and has been given a few test heaves over the bed (somewhere soft to land). Results are very promising, the glide looks about right and a low power test didn't show up anything nasty.

One thing that did come to light during the build is the fact that I forgot to allow for fuselage width while drawing up the bottom wings. So, if anyone intends to build this, with the correct span bottom wing, drop me a PM and I'll send the revised file.

As the model stands, without battery in place, the finished weight is 4.9 grams. However, it gains back the extra once the battery is added because it only needs the 20 mAh one, not the 50 mAh that the other models needed. Given the extra weight of the Microact, pushrod and u/c, I don't think that's too bad.

Does anyone know when Plantraco changed the style of antenna wire on the Butterfly receiver? Both my new ones have absolutely tiny diameter antenna wires. So small, in fact, that I kept thinking I'd pulled it off the receiver board. It is very difficult to see until the light catches it. It may be lighter, but plays hell with my fragile nerves.

Pete
Old Oct 06, 2010, 01:32 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,052 Posts
Fantastic job!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
The SRE is now completed and has been given a few test heaves over the bed (somewhere soft to land). Results are very promising, the glide looks about right and a low power test didn't show up anything nasty.

One thing that did come to light during the build is the fact that I forgot to allow for fuselage width while drawing up the bottom wings. So, if anyone intends to build this, with the correct span bottom wing, drop me a PM and I'll send the revised file.

As the model stands, without battery in place, the finished weight is 4.9 grams. However, it gains back the extra once the battery is added because it only needs the 20 mAh one, not the 50 mAh that the other models needed. Given the extra weight of the Microact, pushrod and u/c, I don't think that's too bad.

Does anyone know when Plantraco changed the style of antenna wire on the Butterfly receiver? Both my new ones have absolutely tiny diameter antenna wires. So small, in fact, that I kept thinking I'd pulled it off the receiver board. It is very difficult to see until the light catches it. It may be lighter, but plays hell with my fragile nerves.

Pete
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:22 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Oh well, the next one in the series is, like the SRE, awaiting test flights. This time around it was the Fokker DVII.
I deliberately set out to keep struts and the like as close to full-size as the profile format allowed. The result is that, because of the amount of carbon rod involved, the finished weight has crept up to 5.3 grams. Once again, the model uses a Butterfly receiver and Microact and power comes from a GB05.
Anyway, here are a few photos and words to explain further.

Pete
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:16 PM
Carbondale PA
Joined Aug 2005
519 Posts
Hi Pete,

You are doing an excellent job with your Classroom Fighter designs!

Joe.
Joe Malinchak is offline Find More Posts by Joe Malinchak
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Laser 3D
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:09 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,052 Posts
Sweet These micro butterfly Control units are great

Are they 3 ch? Where do ya get them?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:08 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Razor,
They're 2 channel, rudder and throttle. The official title is the Plantraco Micro9 Butterfly receiver. It's tiny thing, roughly 5/8x3/8 and weighs just .38 grams. However, unless you know of a friendly supplier (I'm lucky in that respect) you do need to be pretty good at fine soldering - which I'm not. They aren't cheap, but are excellent pieces of kit.
At a little over twice the weight, they also do 3 and 4 channel receivers fitted with sockets for the actuators to plug into. Unfortunately, they are intended for much larger batteries.

Joe,
Many thanks for the kind words. I got the idea some time ago but have really only just gotten serious about it. The ones Plantraco do are great, but I happen to like biplanes and WW1 types.

Currently about to get built is a White Monoplane for 3 channel (?) control and with a full fuselage. This one will be about 11.5" span. Weight is yet to be seen, but it would be awfully nice if it came out under 12 grams. The model is likely to get Micro Invent gear, since I have some not earning its' keep.

Pete
Old Oct 15, 2010, 02:27 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,052 Posts
Thanks Pete!

They're pricey BUT ultra ultrA micro tech.

Hobbyking had a 2 ch plane cessna tiny little thing for $10.
I might get one to tinker with
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:44 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Despite not actually having any fully charged batteries (the ones in the charger needed replacing but I didn't realise it) yesterday saw test flights of the Waco and DVII. Both performed much as the earlier models, so I guess I have the formula about right. My only comment on the DVII being that it is a VERY close fit between battery and c/s strut. If the battery has a longer than usual top (some of mine do have) they won't fit. Moving the strut forward and the receiver back a little would solve that problem. Similarly, mounting the receiver upright would work too.

Anyway, with the basics pretty much sorted out, I'll carry on drawing up a few more designs and posting the files here. The latest is a Nieuport 28 and I may follow that with a Spad XIII, Aviatik DI and Fokker DrI - unless there's something you'd particularly like to see.

Pete
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:51 AM
ITALY
Joined Sep 2004
928 Posts
Simply the best!
Ivan2280 is offline Find More Posts by Ivan2280
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:23 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Oh well, it seems the Fokker Dr1 is to be the next one I post plans for. In fact, the next two.

Pete
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:41 AM
ITALY
Joined Sep 2004
928 Posts
Beautiful!I am working on wildcat now.I have only to install the rx and direct drive motor.The next is the dr1!
Ivan2280 is offline Find More Posts by Ivan2280
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:23 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,045 Posts
Bob Hurd would be so happy

We lost a great man and friend with the loss of Bob Hurd, inventor of Durobatics. He would be so happy to see these ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL planes.

Thanks and keep it up. so far, you're way ahead of my time to build them.

By the way...I clicked on the Durobatics website and it seems that his grandsons are planning to CONTINUE MAKING DUROBATICS!!

that's great news.

Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50