to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2010, 03:47 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Do you do requests ?
I mean, these are like the Fiddlers Green type of thing too aren't they
Very nice again...thanks from here as well. Got no Plantraco equipment for them, but enjoying the thoughts of Havoc Cyclone guts or something going in.
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:13 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,458 Posts
Actually, if it appeals to me, I have been known to draw up something on request - check out the scale forum to see what I mean. However, my WW2 reference material isn't very good, so a decent 3 view would help.

To be perfectly honest, if it wasn't so untidy looking I'd be using the innards of something like the Mini Aviator myself. Not so keen on the Silverlit stuff because the actuator is bulky and the charge socket is in the wrong place for an u/c equipped model.

While I await the motor for the Wildcat, I've been plugging on with the N11. It now just needs the u/c and probably some nose weight - unless I find some slightly heavier wheels. As it stands at the moment, weight is 3.9 grams. Final weight will depend on that nose weight, maybe 6 grams if I'm lucky.
Material is .025 Durabatics and struts/bracing is carbon rod. All assembly was using canopy glue (Formula 560).

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:23 PM
ITALY
Joined Sep 2004
912 Posts
I love your nieuport.Thanks again for your great work!!!
Ivan2280 is offline Find More Posts by Ivan2280
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
It's looking great
I haven't a request at the moment, just wondered...can see such talents being very useful in the winter months ahead. I'm also sure you'll be kept busy with developing such models, if you so wish !
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Sep 16, 2010, 05:00 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,458 Posts
With the arrival of the GB03 unit, and salvaging a hinged actuator from another, dead, model work on the Wildcat is able to continue.

Because I'm absolutely useless at soldering tiny actuator wires onto Butterfly receiver pads, I got the nice poeple at Micron RC (UK suppliers of all things Plantraco) to add some fly-leads for me. Wire to wire soldering I can just about manage - if I'm careful.
So, although the wiring may look a little untidy, it does all work okay. Besides, it will all be hidden once the fuselage halves are joined. Once the tiny spots of glue holding the wires where I want them are dry, that will be the next task. That's the one problem with using canopy glue, it takes an age to dry. However, given a little luck, there's still every chance that the Nieuport and Wildcat will be ready for Sunday's indoor session. How they'll fly is anyone's guess.

Pete
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:26 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,458 Posts
Well, that's it, the Wildcat is ready for test flying. Balance doesn't appear to be too far out, maybe in need of the 30 mAh battery rather than the 20 mAh, but I can sort that out on the day. Weight without battery is 4.2 grams and I'm reasonably happy with that.

Now I can get back to adding the u/c to the Nieuport.

Pete
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:19 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,437 Posts
very nice

i guess this wouldnt work with UM PZ guts?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:16 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,458 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of a larger (around 1.5 times) version for the PZ brick, or the larger Plantraco gear. The problem is that our hall is so restrictive that I doubt it would fly in there. It might if I had the hall to myself, but there are always far too many helicopters taking up space.

Anyway, the Nieuport is finished, for a weight of 4.7 grams, minus battery. This afternoon should, baring helicopters getting in the way, give me a chance to try them out.

Pete
Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:58 AM
ITALY
Joined Sep 2004
912 Posts
Beautiful nieuport!O love the wheel.Where you have buy it?
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:37 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,437 Posts
Beautiful - please make vids!

QUOTE=PETERRAKE;16086669]I have been toying with the idea of a larger (around 1.5 times) version for the PZ brick, or the larger Plantraco gear. The problem is that our hall is so restrictive that I doubt it would fly in there. It might if I had the hall to myself, but there are always far too many helicopters taking up space.

Anyway, the Nieuport is finished, for a weight of 4.7 grams, minus battery. This afternoon should, baring helicopters getting in the way, give me a chance to try them out.

Pete[/QUOTE]
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:55 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,458 Posts
Sorry, I can't do videos. My digital camera is an SLR and I'm far too mean to spend modelling money on another camera.

Anyway, I've had an excellent afternoon's flying. I test flew both models before many others arrived and am happy to report that both are great little models. They both needed the nose weight of a 50 mAh battery and the Wildcat took a couple of minor tweaks (nothing more arduous than a little foam bending on elevators and one wingtip) to get it cruising round beautifully. The Nieuport, by contrast (since it was the one I had doubts about) flew well straight from the off.
Both models are extremely stable in flight and can actually be set up for radio trimmed free-flight. It was great to be able to set them up to fly 20+ foot diameter circuits and then just use the slightest nudge of throttle to either gain or lose height.
Figure eights could be flown, but it used all the hall width to do it, so I stuck with circuits. Three flights with each model, a couple with my CF Zero and two with the Avionette, plus a few IR heli flights made for a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. The Wildcat and Nieuport earned very pleasant comments from other fliers and I came away a very happy chap. I'd rate them as flying in a very similar manner to the Zero and Avionette, just a little heavier. The fact that I felt sufficiently confident to fly them in the centre of the hall, with heli's flying at each end (in a hall that can't be much bigger than 80x35 feet) should give an indication of how predictable they are.

Ivan, they are the Peck wheels, bought from SAMS for the horrendous price of 20 a pair. Silly isn't it, the wheels cost at least four times what the rest of the airframe cost. They do make for very smooth, gentle landings though.

Now I have a good idea of the requirements for a successful model, who knows what will come next. A Staggerwing might be an idea, a biplane with no c/s struts and no need for u/c. I'm really pleased with the way things turned out and my mind is working overtime about possible future models. Maybe a Fokker DVII at some point.

Pete
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:42 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,458 Posts
Ivan,
Your mention of the 6 mm motor has set me thinking. Obviously not all the aircraft I like are not radial engine types and fitting the GB05 alters the shape of the nose. I was just wondering if you could give some indication of model size/weight you find to work with this motor. Do they fly much faster than the Classroom Fighter type models?
I'm currently just finishing off the drawings for a Fokker DVII that is similar in size to the Nieuport.

Pete
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:55 AM
ITALY
Joined Sep 2004
912 Posts
info

Pete,i became to work on this project tomorrow.I have a surgical visit this afternoon.I think that with 6mm motor in direct drive the airplane have more speed and it is more realistic(wildcat).I have printed the model on tissue paper,I have to apply it on depron.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:48 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,458 Posts
Ivan,
Thanks for the info, it's pretty much what I was afraid of. The motor flies the model faster than I think our hall will handle. I've flown faster models in there and it stops being fun - especially for spectators since the turning circle takes it out too far.

Anyway, for anyone interested, here are a few more. The SRE is on one sheet at present, but ultimately will end up like the other two. That allows two models, one biplane and one monoplane, to be cut from a single sheet of Durabatics. I'll be building these just as soon as my modelling budget stretches to some more Plantraco gear.
You may notice that I've shown an actuator position on these. That should eliminate the need for the bigger battery to counter the weight of the hinged actuator.

I'm seriously considering something around 7" span for the d/d 4mm motor.

Pete