SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
16 Posts
Discussion
New Engine for UM P-51 - HH may be using Sukhoi

So my engine went out in my P-51 within a week of purchase. I called Horizon up and they sent a new one complete with a new gearbox since just the engine was on back order. I noticed when I was installing the new assembly, the gearbox had SU-26 on it. Has HH replaced the P-51 engine and gearbox with the one out of the Sukhoi? The packaging said UM P-51, but it definately is stamped SU-26. Anyone know if this would be the original Sukhoi engine or the new XP?
Spi1993 is offline Find More Posts by Spi1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:48 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
The motors and gearboxes are all the same.
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
The motors and gearboxes are all the same.
Well, not exactly... The Mustang and the SU-26XP share the same motor, but the older Su-26 had a less powerful motor. They also have different lenght of wires. Otherwise, yes, they are the same. I'm guessing you got the XP version, which may have longer wires than your old Mustang motor, right?
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:58 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I think XP motor wires are too short for the Mustang, though they are the same motor.

Black endbelled motors are Mustang, XP, T-28 and 4 site.

White endbelled motors are Champ and original Sukhoi
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
Joined Sep 2010
16 Posts
Length of the wires appears to be the same. The end of the motor is black. Guess its the new XP motor with shorter wires for the P-51?
Spi1993 is offline Find More Posts by Spi1993
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:06 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi1993 View Post
Length of the wires appears to be the same. The end of the motor is black. Guess its the new XP motor with shorter wires for the P-51?
The XP motor has shorter wires than the Mustang motor.

What you have is a Mustang motor.

The Gearbox is the same between the Mustang and SU-26, so a gearbox stamped SU-26 that works in a Mustang would not be anything special.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:15 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
685 Posts
Well I see more speculation on motors, I wish Horizon would come in and end the speculation.
Fact from trying motors on same plane.
4 site same power as mustang
Su26 Xp more power than mustang, Mcx

The only way to verify is to pull off can and compare insides of motor.

The more powerful will have a longer magnet in it.

JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:29 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama View Post
Well I see more speculation on motors, I wish Horizon would come in and end the speculation.
Fact from trying motors on same plane.
4 site same power as mustang
Su26 Xp more power than mustang, Mcx

The only way to verify is to pull off can and compare insides of motor.

The more powerful will have a longer magnet in it.

JCS
There is large variation in power between individual motors of the same type. If you had an XP motor that had more power than a Mustang Motor, if you go buy a new mustang motor, it may have the same power as this "more powerful" XP motor.

HH is likely switching vendors and improving designs which would account for any difference. In they end, they are all going to be the same motor with different wire lengths.

If someone were to say a PKZ3351 brick weighed 3.3 grams and was 3 channels, someone could also say, no they are 5 channel and weigh 3.3g and then someone else could say, No they are only 3 channel and weigh 3.7g and they would all be right.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:27 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Another way to think about it is: They were originally designed for pagers and cell phones. Since they only had to spin a off balanced weight only a few seconds every now and then, I'm sure the last thing the engineer had in mind when they designed them was to make sure all of them would have exactly the same output.

So, when the magnets show up in the factory, I'm sure they don't test them to see if they are all equally strong as they should. When the wire come in, they do not check if it's the same perfect size, and that, for the whole spool. If the little machine that do the winding pull too strong on the wire, and stretch it a bit (so reducing size), they probably don't stop production because all the motors will not be the same. Etc, etc, etc.

Most interesting thing found lately would be the fact that there would be some motors with brushes with carbon tips! That would make a difference too, particularly for longevity.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:36 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
The gearboxes differ in precision and density also. I much prefer the lastest XP/mustang one.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:38 PM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts
ahhh!! had enough of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
The gearboxes differ in precision and density also. I much prefer the lastest XP/mustang one.

Every time im looking at parkzone-eflite threds we get the same old Su26 Xp P-51 original Sukhoi engine 4-site ... What is the best !! this gear box is better than the p51 , or the best 8mm motor gearbox is the kyosho edge mated with a 4-site motor with 3mmos 1.5mmis di micro ball bearing mod with gws or vapor prop or (bla bla bla fxxxxxx bla)

Its all hear say and chinese whiispers.

SO WHO HAS THE GUTS TO START A THRED DEDICATED TO MANY OF US WHO USE PAGER MOTORS???
richos is offline Find More Posts by richos