HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:58 AM
More computers = More fun
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Aug 2010
75 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Nitroplane's 3D-Hawk PNP (They say ARF) Tutorial

Well, My 3D-Hawk from Nitroplanes.com came to my house in 6 Days, just as UPS predicted and everything I ordered was there. Included in this PNP model (They say ARF since I think PNP is a trademark of Horizon Hobbies) All you need is a Rx/Tx system and you are ready to go, well, not really. You need your own CA (regular cyanoacrylate (like Loctite general brand super glue from Home Depot) will work since normal CA does not dissolve EPO foam, at least not in my experiences. Regular tools are also required, like needle-nose pliers and scissors, but really nothing a beginner RC hobbyist wouldn't have (not to say this is a beginner plane, 'cause it isn't! )

I decided to make this a How-to since the instructions are pretty crappy.

The Unpacking and build

Unpacking

When I got my plane it was in a Shipping box, which contained the plane is its smaller box. included were a few bags, some containing foam pieces, prop and carbon pushrods w/ z-bends (you must attach them... Ug ) + control surface horns, the motor and prop-saver, then servos (which are individually bagged and sealed). Also included is some adhesive tape, a pad of double-sided (I don't know what for, I didn't use it), and some small tubular heat-shrink.

I don't think I missed anything, did I?

Fuselage assembly

The first step in building is to glue the vertical fuselage to the Horizontal fuselage, which is pretty easy since they have the horizontal fuselage cut town the center, plus some handy tabs that fit into slots on the vertical fuselage so you line it up right.

Put some CA on those tabs and stick them into their corresponding slots, then give em a few seconds to dry. After about maybe 50 seconds or so, make sure the vertical and horizontal fuselages are square to each other, that is they form a right angle. now that they do, run a bead of hot-glue down the entire seam (where the fuselages meet) and then run your glue-gun over the bead again, not putting more glue on. This forms a nice "hot-glue weld" as I call it, and is very strong. ONLY DO THIS ON THE TOP! If you don't you will not be able to get the wing in. Now put the wing in. the curved corner should be on the leading edge. Take some time to get the wing nice and centered and square to the plane. You don't want to have to fix this later. Make some more hot-glue welds along the edges where wing-meets-plane as well as on the bottom of the vert. and hori. fuselages to fully secure them together.

Cool! now you have the outline of a plane!

Now for the surfaces:

Mounting control surfaces

Do the ailerons, and use some adhesive tape (I guess you can use theirs, but I used my own hinge tape, which was thicker/wider as well). The bevel on the ailerons goes up. Tape them on so there is a very small gap between the wing and the control surface, maybe a millimeter or two. Too much will give you unwanted control surface slop, touching and they will be stiff.

Now goes on the elevator, which is the same process, then the rudder.

Mounting servos and assembling linkages

Now mount the Aileron servo in its pre-cut hole with the servo-horn that has arms on both sides. Cut slits in the ailerons for the horns at about where I did in my pictures (the ones in the link at the bottom), the closer to the hinge, the more surface throw. You could go closer if you want honestly. MINE ARE BACKWARDS. Learn from my mistakes! To make a pushrod, you must cut one of the given carbon rods in half (one for each aileron) and then attach one z-bent to any and of the rod at any angle. To do this, I recommended using the pliers, but fingers can be used, so go ahead. I did. CA will get on your fingers. BE WARNED Put some CA on the rod and let thet dry for 'bout 20 seconds (MAKE SURE you dont glue your fingers together and to the pushrod while holding it! Its no joke!) let go when it can keep itself on, then let it fully dry for however long you like. Next put an new dap of CA on it and wrap a small bit of adhesive tape around it. WE only want to loop it maybe 2 times at most. Now, this is what I did, but you can also try to put the heatshrink around and shrink it on, which is what you are supposed to do. I tried but for some reason couldn't get it to fit, so I used the tape. If it fits for you , cut each tube into 5 pieces and slip it over the z-bend and pushrod, then shrink it on. Now that it is attached, we proceed to the next step.

The next part is absolutely critical. Center your servo and then put your pushrod with one bend into the servo horn and servo ( The Aileron servo is already mounted at this point ) Line it up to your horn that is in the aileron surface and mark where it hits the control horn hole when the aileron is level. Take it back out of the servo at cut it at that mark. Now that it is at the correct length, glue the other z-bend on at the correct angle (the servo hole was a vertical hole, and this one is horizontal, remember?) to the opposite end of our pushrod. use the same method to secure it on as the other z-bend. The length must be PERFECT or you will have some headache later on since these arn't adjustable length. Get it right the first time! now that we have our complete pushrod assambly, stick one end into the servo horn on the outer most hole. Now bend the other z-bend straight and put it into the horn on the aileron. Bend it back to its original shape.

Ta-Da! Done! Phwew! Now we just have to do it 3 more times!

Use the same process on the other aileron, then elevator, then rudder. Look at attached pics to see servo placement.

Mounting motor

You should probably put the motor on now. The mounting technique is pretty straight forward, as you just screw the motor onto the mount plate then CA the mount plate into little slots in the front of the plane. Make sure the wires come out where you want them.

CG

Now all you need to do is really just put on the ESC, battery and receiver and you are off! I cant really say where to put them, since that is related to your personal CofG, but you can see where I put mine in the Pics.

The recommended CG is 17 cm from front of fuselage, but just experiment to see where you like it.

Put on your decal stickers and you are ready to go

OPTIONAL:

Put some clear packing tape of sorts on the bottom front of your plane to keep it from getting torn up when you land.

FLIGHT REVIEW VIDEO TO COME LATER!

I am not responsible for any damages or mess-ups caused by this tutorial. Use this guide as well as common sense to build your plane.

Pictures here as well.

Any comments / improvement Ideas? Please say them!

| These are pictures of the included instructions (or sheet of 10
| sentences, about 7 pictures, which is also in Chinese or
| something, Picture of electronics mounted, and of the usage
\/ of a prop-saver
Dellagd is offline Find More Posts by Dellagd
Last edited by Dellagd; Sep 11, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:23 PM
Trolls more than he flys.
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
good job a couple of small tips: put all of your electronics on bottom. put your reciever, and esc on the left side, and your battery on the right side, with a SMALL hole in the bottom of the fuse for the wires to go through. also, with the glue, the less you put on, the lighter and slower the plane will be. put the BARE MINIMUM amount of glue to hold it together. you can always put more on if its not enough later.
Gringostr is offline Find More Posts by Gringostr
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:49 PM
More computers = More fun
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Aug 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplaneoid View Post
good job a couple of small tips: put all of your electronics on bottom. put your reciever, and esc on the left side, and your battery on the right side, with a SMALL hole in the bottom of the fuse for the wires to go through. also, with the glue, the less you put on, the lighter and slower the plane will be. put the BARE MINIMUM amount of glue to hold it together. you can always put more on if its not enough later.
Where to much glue??
Dellagd is offline Find More Posts by Dellagd
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:03 PM
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
every other inch. not all along. every other inch is plenty. and hot glue is heavy, even if it is fast to dry, and cheap. this is the best for flat foamies, and can be bought at lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_74526-1168-7...ductId=3080091
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:07 PM
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
that every other inch thing is an F3p proffesional trick. it works great.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:40 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,881 Posts
I just build this plane tonight and veryjong works perfect and it even floes pretty good. However, my rudder pushrod bends A LOT. I can physically move my rudder back and forth withou much effort. My linkage and pushrods are glued correctly and my rudder is taped pretty close to the fuselage so that can't be the issue. When I move the rudder back and forth, I can see my rudder carbon pushrod bend like crazy and keep in mind the servo doesn't move while I do this. It has to be the pushrod. I don't know how to fix this easily. Any suggestions??
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:41 AM
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
just use a small square of foam, feed the pushrod through the middle of it, then glue it to the side of your plane. so the bottom of it is on the horizontal fuse, and the side of it is on the vertical side of the fuse.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,881 Posts
Excellent! Thank you. I'll try that right now.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:56 PM
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
your welcome. Just PM me if you need any more info.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,881 Posts
Does anyone know what amp draw an 8X4 prop draws?? My kit came with a 7X3.5 prop, but I wanted to get a 8X4. I'm not sure if an 8X4 will burn out the stock motor and ESC.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:22 PM
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
I doubt it would, just throw it on, and slowly increase the throttle to see how warm it gets. if you get through your battery without getting too hot, then your fine.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,881 Posts
Okay, with this stock motor shaft. I don't know which prop to get in regards to hole and hub diameter.

Here's my choices:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZK92&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX1517&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHW7&P=7

Thanks again!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:56 PM
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
do you have a local hobby shop? if you do, just go and get a 8x3.8 apc slofly prop. it comes with shaft adapters, so you can make it fit your prop adapter. also, you can wrap your prop adapter in tape to make it bigger to fit your prop.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:04 PM
Joined Aug 2008
5,881 Posts
I may do that actually. Thanks a lot for your help. I can't wait to fly this plane again. It was a blast. Ita too windy today to fly unfortunately.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:37 PM
USA, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Sep 2009
1,883 Posts
Your welcome! And Wait till you can hover, you can hover in your garage or living room! great for when its windy outside.