HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:54 AM
Ohio
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
Help!
Syma S107 remote problem

Hi everyone,

I searched around on here and could not find anything that specifically addressed this problem. I just purchased an S107 for my son, and he has been having a ball with it, but after about 8 flights we've started having problems.

I tried to use rechargeable batteries in the remote when it first showed up, but they didn't seem to work so I put in a fresh set of Duracells. We've always charged the heli using the USB port on the PC, but after only about 8 flights it started acting strange this morning. When you would release the throttle the heli would not stop flying and would just keep going until it crashed into something. Then the green light on the remote started flashing when we turned it on , instead of being a steady green. I saw in the manual instructions to push the throttle all the way up and then release it, but that seems to have no effect at all.

I tried putting fresh AA batteries in the remote and that solved the problem for about 5 minutes. All of a sudden the heli would not shut off, so we turned off the remote and when we turned it back on the green light on the remote is flashing again, and no go with the heli. I just purchased these batteries, but I checked them with my multi-meter just to be sure and they are showing full power.

I'm stumped at this point. The green LED in the heli goes solid a few seconds after the remote is turned on, but the green LED on the remote just continues to flash even when I try the procedure noted in the instructions (full throttle and then back) and the heli won't do anything. My son is pretty bummed out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
gatownsend is offline Find More Posts by gatownsend
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:07 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatownsend View Post
Hi everyone,

I searched around on here and could not find anything that specifically addressed this problem. I just purchased an S107 for my son, and he has been having a ball with it, but after about 8 flights we've started having problems.

I tried to use rechargeable batteries in the remote when it first showed up, but they didn't seem to work so I put in a fresh set of Duracells. We've always charged the heli using the USB port on the PC, but after only about 8 flights it started acting strange this morning. When you would release the throttle the heli would not stop flying and would just keep going until it crashed into something. Then the green light on the remote started flashing when we turned it on , instead of being a steady green. I saw in the manual instructions to push the throttle all the way up and then release it, but that seems to have no effect at all.

I tried putting fresh AA batteries in the remote and that solved the problem for about 5 minutes. All of a sudden the heli would not shut off, so we turned off the remote and when we turned it back on the green light on the remote is flashing again, and no go with the heli. I just purchased these batteries, but I checked them with my multi-meter just to be sure and they are showing full power.

I'm stumped at this point. The green LED in the heli goes solid a few seconds after the remote is turned on, but the green LED on the remote just continues to flash even when I try the procedure noted in the instructions (full throttle and then back) and the heli won't do anything. My son is pretty bummed out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
I'm not sure if this is your problem but you need to "bind" the S107 to the transmitter before you fly.
1. Switch on the transmitter and place next to the S107.
2. Switch on the S107 and stand in front of the transmitter till the flashing green light goes solid.
You should now be ready to fly.
If not post another message here and I'm sure someone will be able to help
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
The flashing TX light that won't stop means the TX thinks the batteries are low. This should not happen above 1.3V/cell. New AAs should work for weeks, not minutes. Something is wrong with the transmitter. There have been reports of poor soldering in Gen 2 107s, you might open it up and inspect for that.

The 107 codeset is auto binding. You needn't initialize the throttle as with San Huans, or with the 006 RF transmitter.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:19 PM
Ohio
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
Thanks for the info arbilab.

As a follow up, I opened the TX this afternoon, and everything looked in order inside. I also checked the voltage that was coming from the batteries with my multimeter and it read just over 9.0 volts with the batteries that had been in it for 2 days since it arrived, but the TX was still flashing.

I put brand new batteries in and checked the volts - 9.5. Turned it on and got excited because the green light on the TX was solid. Turned on the heli and after a couple seconds it took off like it was on full throttle even though I wasn't doing anything on the TX. I managed to grab the landing bars and stop it before it went up and hit the ceiling. It kept going like crazy while I held it and I fiddled with the TX, but it never throttled down. I shut off the heli and the TX and when I flipped the TX back on it was back to green flashing light and nothing. Every time I flip on the TX now it's flashing green despite the fact that the batteries are brand new and have only been in it less than 30 minutes.

I purchased it from Xheli.com through Amazon.com so I suppose I'll have to return it through Amazon.com, but I might call Xheli on the phone first just to see if they want to deal with me directly. It's a bummer because my son absolutely loves this thing and only got to fly it about 8 times before it went bonkers. He has wanted one for months, and I did a fair amount of research before getting this one - I am totally floored how good he was flying it so soon.

If anyone has any other ideas before I go the return route on Monday I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Gary
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:28 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
That's very errant behavior, Gary. There's not likely anything you can do about it besides get it replaced.

107 is not supposed to be troublesome. It's supposed to be the delight it was before it bonked. But in units delivered after Chinese new year, the number of out-of-box problems has been escalating.

You may not get a phone response from xheli. Or email. Amazon should manage to straighten it out but I don't know their time frame. The most direct route to xheli support is http://www.rcdiscuss.com/index.php/topic,7978.0.html

There's a guy there named Gary who seems to be the head honcho and gets to the bottom of things that reach his attention. They need to send you another one that works right.

Meanwhile, consider the Firebird version, built to a higher level of integrity and inspection. There have been no production issues with Firebird. They cost $12 more delivered, well worth it IMO. http://www.helizonerc.com I own both, but my 107 is from the first production run and trouble free.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:47 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
That's very errant behavior, Gary. There's not likely anything you can do about it besides get it replaced.

107 is not supposed to be troublesome. It's supposed to be the delight it was before it bonked. But in units delivered after Chinese new year, the number of out-of-box problems has been escalating.

You may not get a phone response from xheli. Or email. Amazon should manage to straighten it out but I don't know their time frame. The most direct route to xheli support is http://www.rcdiscuss.com/index.php/topic,7978.0.html

There's a guy there named Gary who seems to be the head honcho and gets to the bottom of things that reach his attention. They need to send you another one that works right.

Meanwhile, consider the Firebird version, built to a higher level of integrity and inspection. There have been no production issues with Firebird. They cost $12 more delivered, well worth it IMO. http://www.helizonerc.com I own both, but my 107 is from the first production run and trouble free.
Is it possible to identify which production run a Syma S107 is from? Mine seems to fly well, hovers nicely and is very controllable. But I would like to be sure.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:04 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
I don't know of a way to tell by looking, pro. There are also now knockoffs to deal with, China is infamous for that.

On mine the canopy screwheads are almost flat. In photos of the troublesome ones, they look much rounder. But I don't know if that's an effect of photography vs. real life, and I don't know if the photos were of 2nd-run Symas or knockoffs.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:11 PM
Ohio
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
Thanks for the info arbilab. I went and checked out the Firebird and will probably order one tonight. I'm just going to return the S107 to Amazon and be done with it (all the paperwork says Amazon everywhere, so I suspect Xheli just shipped to them and then they shipped to me, or something like that).

I checked out the video on the Firebird, and they had a link in it to www.hobby-estore.com which has the Firebird for $39.99 shipped, and using the discount in the video it ends up being $37.99 shipped. That's the same as an S107 with shipping, so I will probably go that route.

Thanks for the info!

Gary
Old Sep 12, 2010, 06:04 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Quite welcome, Gary. Most satisfying thing here is solving problems straightaway.

The Amazon return route is probably the most direct. Like clicking "undo". Helizonerc/hobby estore is a reputable US seller. They also have all the parts should you need them.

You'll be very happy with Firebird. It rivals 4chs for quality and design integrity at 2-3 times the price. The only thing it won't do is zoom forward, but there's a mod for that (SH 6020 tailmotor assembly) if you wish to pursue it.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:56 AM
Ohio
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
Just wanted to follow up and say we got the Firebird this week. My son loves it and it has been quite a bit of fun. I see what people mean about it being a bit slower on the forward/backward movement compared to the S107, but that has worked out better for my son. He's not quite 7, and he is able to control this one better than the S107 (so we've had fewer crashes with this one).

Thanks again for all the help.

Gary
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:55 AM
indiana
Joined Aug 2003
22 Posts
i have been selling the firebird now for a short time. ive had no out of box defects so far, knocking on wood!! im getting ready to order another case or two. i just wish the s032 was as well made, i could sell a boat-load of em. the larger ones like the S031 and 9053 fly like bricks and fail to easy for me to risk selling. have any of you guys bought the lastest ones that are 36 and 42 inches in size??
dkish is offline Find More Posts by dkish
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:13 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Great, Gary. I can only imagine how it feels to have a toy like this at 7. Initially, try to coach him to shut the throttle when he gets in trouble. That is, BEFORE he hits something but when it's obvious he's going to. These things can bounce off the ground without damage, but if they hit obstacles under power they can break flybars and that's a spot of a bother to fix.

DK, I'd steer clear of the 006, 031, 032. They will be customer-satisfaction liabilities. They generally work out of the box, but then fail to lift within 2 weeks of normal use. The Syma Chinooks (026, 029) are a good bet. The smaller one fits indoor venues better.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
I found the problem with the S107G transmitter problem of flashing green light. To look for bad solder joints, I removed the top (removed six screws on the back including the one in the lower left corner under the recharge cable’s sliding housing). Once the top was off, the green light stopped flashing. I could not recreate the problem with the top off. After some inspection, I realized that the throttle (left control) was slightly misaligned and top of the transmitter was keeping it from returning to the off position. I used an Xacto knife to file away about 1/8” of the plastic on the bottom of the slot where the throttle control sticks though on the top of the transmitter. This allowed the throttle to go completely down and flashing green light to go away. For some reason, the green light flashes if the throttle is not completely off when you turn on the transmitter. Hope this helps.
tinyhelisrock is offline Find More Posts by tinyhelisrock
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyhelisrock View Post
I found the problem with the S107G transmitter problem of flashing green light. To look for bad solder joints, I removed the top (removed six screws on the back including the one in the lower left corner under the recharge cable’s sliding housing). Once the top was off, the green light stopped flashing. I could not recreate the problem with the top off. After some inspection, I realized that the throttle (left control) was slightly misaligned and top of the transmitter was keeping it from returning to the off position. I used an Xacto knife to file away about 1/8” of the plastic on the bottom of the slot where the throttle control sticks though on the top of the transmitter. This allowed the throttle to go completely down and flashing green light to go away. For some reason, the green light flashes if the throttle is not completely off when you turn on the transmitter. Hope this helps.
I came here to find a fix for my heli, and here it is... I removed the top off the TX and behold it was fixed! Turns out the control was not returning to centre as mentioned Thanks for this... Lovin' this forum!
Superdry is offline Find More Posts by Superdry
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:00 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
Thanks tinyhelisrock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyhelisrock View Post
I registered on this forum just to say "thank you". My S107 flew once, then stopped with the flashing trasmitter light and I had no idea what it meant! I was really disappointed until I found your posting. Your fix worked great. I did exactly as you said, but instead of an X-acto knife, I used a ~1/4 inch round file and removed just over an 1/8" of plastic on the bottom of the plastic slot. It took only a few minutes and the round file gave a nice result that matches the contour of the control stick (except for where I slipped and scratched some of the cheap silver paint off the front of the controller). No big deal because now I'm flying thanks to you. I'm new to this hobby and I know where I'll look the next time I have a problem. Thank you very much and Merry Christmas!
Docrash is offline Find More Posts by Docrash