SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:02 AM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
New Product
e-RC Giant F/A-18E, Delayed?

Just wondering what has caused the push-back from the previously-advertised September ship date to the new mid-October date.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/erc_f_a_1...rc1800-banner3

Awesome looking jet, BTW. I ordered it the day it came online and I'm blown away by all the features here - Scale good looks, shock-absorbing E-Retracts, Vectored Thrust, pretty accurate light system, and a huge 90mm fan! The only thing I might have liked to see on this one would have been twin engines, however I'm well aware that adding twins also adds another set of potential fail-points, so the single 90mm is probably a good thing.

There is a giant twin F-22 out there, along with LX's twin F/A-18 on the way - I love HL and don't want to give the "other" company my business, but depending on how this delay goes, one of those planes may become an option soon!

Does HL have any plans to add another large-scale EDF to the lineup this holiday season, or will the Super Hornet stand alone?
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:32 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
There was a delay in securing a shipping slot but the shipment is on the water and I do not expect any additional delays.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:49 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiflyer View Post
There was a delay in securing a shipping slot but the shipment is on the water and I do not expect any additional delays.

Mike Hines
I see. Well that's good news then! Thanks for the update, Mr. Hines - Looking forward to seeing this thing in person, and will post a review for everyone upon arrival!
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:42 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3 Posts
New FA-18E Jets due in next week

Finally, they're almost here! We're expecting to unload the container at the end of next week. Any locals welcome to come give us a hand!
HobbyLobbyLady is offline Find More Posts by HobbyLobbyLady
Old Oct 08, 2010, 02:48 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,961 Posts
Can't wait to receive mine, I plan to do a build log with plenty of pics.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Oct 13, 2010, 09:40 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,607 Posts
They're here! We unloaded the container yesterday. F-18's are shipping out today. Enjoy!

Jason Cole
Hobby Lobby
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:01 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,961 Posts
Awesome! Thanks!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:06 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
Jet arrived in record time once the container arrived. Took a while longer than initially anticipated but I'm pretty sure that was beyond their control. Great job on the turn once they got to the states, HL!

Maiden of the plane was substandard, however... Even after extensive tests of the electric retract system on the ground, the nose gear failed to extend in flight. I cycled it in every orientation and airspeed possible, eventually ending up in a low airspeed stall-flat landing (Not entirely planned...) and really damaging the undercarriage, ripping out the main gear from their mounts. I'm working on repairing it but for $400 I really expected better QA on the gear. I'm guessing the overload circuit was triggered by airspeed? You'd think they would deploy on the edge of stall at least!

All in all it survived better than I expected at first glance but I feel like I'm being suckered into buying another $200 airframe now...
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:26 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,607 Posts
Weird, I doubt it was airspeed keeping it from moving. The nose wheel must have gotten stuck on the door or something. I hate that you had that problem, but it certainly isn't common. I know you wanted to get the gear down, but you could have retracted the mains back up and belly landed. It shouldn't have caused a crash, but I can understand your thinking as to why you did what you did. Have you cycled the gear since then? Was it stuck, or just not working? If there is an issue with it, give us a call.

Jason Cole
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:10 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboone View Post
Weird, I doubt it was airspeed keeping it from moving. The nose wheel must have gotten stuck on the door or something. I hate that you had that problem, but it certainly isn't common. I know you wanted to get the gear down, but you could have retracted the mains back up and belly landed. It shouldn't have caused a crash, but I can understand your thinking as to why you did what you did. Have you cycled the gear since then? Was it stuck, or just not working? If there is an issue with it, give us a call.

Jason Cole
100% on the belly landing being ideal in that situation, however like I said while trying to reduce airspeed and cycling the gear for the 13th time I began to enter the stall envelope... With the gear down at the time I didn't have much choice but to flatten the stall and kill sink rate as much as possible.

Anyhow there is speculation that the string/nose door may have something to do with it, since the mechanism works just fine, even now. Once it was no longer airborne with doors shut, it worked flawlessly. That's why I figured the overload must have been involved somehow.

Definitely not a direct cause of the crash and I should have been better on the sticks to avoid it. That said, I would never have been flying in the low and slow manner were it not for the gear issue, since I needed to be able to verify gear positioning while reducing the load factor on the retract motor.

The only issue with it now is that the mounts are broken for the mains, and the fuselage is messed up pretty badly. It should fly again since foam is really all that got damaged - All electric retracts are functioning on the ground. That's a big +1 for strength! Now, in the air is another story entirely, and I'm reluctant to take her up again. I'll definitely leave the doors open next time!