HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2003, 12:20 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
263 Posts
Cantebury Sailplanes new 60 inch EPP Wing

Hi all,

Thinking of getting Cantebury Sailplanes new 60 inch epp wing, the Jazz 60 from http://www.flycs.com. I already have their PC9 and love it so I'm hoping that this offering will not let me down. I know most of the epp wings around are 48 or below but apart from the obvious transport and fragility problems with going larger are there any other traps for young players?

Have been flowing the Queen Bee's progress with great interest and think that this might be a good compromise.

Any comment?

btw Anyone know when the Queen Bee will be on the market?

Derek
mingonn is offline Find More Posts by mingonn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:21 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
AFAIK the link to Canterbury Sailplanes is:

http://www.canterburysailplanes.co.nz

I have flown a 60" wing from Combat Wings, and it seemed to fly OK. Not particularly exciting, and sort of trucky. But I guess that's somewhat to be expected if you're looking at the bigger planes.

Ming probably knows when the Queen Bee will come to market...you might try PMing him.
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:22 AM
Rialto, CA
Joined Jun 2002
306 Posts
I grabbed one of the first ones that Steve from California Sailplanes imported. I built it as a 2-piecer according to the optional plans and it went together nicely. Whats cool is that you can use the joiner as a balast tube. I've got a 1/2" steel joiner that adds around 10oz, and I can even do a couple leaded brass tubes for even more if I need too.

I flew it for a couple hours ripping around the sky with it, and eventually bent the brass tube joiner(not stiff enough) when I had a servo go bad in flight. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to replace the servo yet, so I haven't had a chance to mess with the heavier joiners to see how it likes the heavier wing loadings. But even so, It does carry its energy pretty good.

Steve flew it and liked it, thought it comparable speedwise to his Bluto. I think its a little slower, but with some balast, it should be pretty close.

Now, I don't think there are any major traps going into the larger wings, except for the transport problem, like you mentioned. That is why I built mine as a 2-piecer. 2 pieces 30" wide make for easy carry. It's a little harder to launch, just because there is more plane for the wind to yank around. For me, I thought the 60" was just about perfect, bigger than the common 48"ers, but not so big as to need a launching crew and block out the sun

Jack

Picture of my 60" Jazz stolen from California Sailplanes.
ke6guj is offline Find More Posts by ke6guj
Last edited by ke6guj; Jul 03, 2003 at 01:27 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:31 AM
Rialto, CA
Joined Jun 2002
306 Posts
Surfy

www.flycs.com is the new URL that Canterbury is pushing. The above link had one of those pesky periods that are all fine an dandy for grammer, but they sure do mess up our beloved links

Jack
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:35 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Trippy...I clicked the link in the first post and got some place-holder, so thought that the original poster had mistaken the URL. In actuality a period was added to the end of the .com, as well as a slash. When entered correctly, flycs.com does of course work perfectly as you've pointed out. Sure is easier to type on the first try...wonder if North County Flying Machines can work something similar out?
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:36 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
263 Posts
Thanks for the prompt posting Jack. Sounds like the extra effort to make it a 2 piecer is the way to go. Very excited to hear it is in the Bluto league for speed. Haven't really had a fast model yet so you have got my knees are knocing with that one. Shame to hear about the servo.

Thanks for the photo too, really puts its size into perspective.

You didn't experience any flutter with those full length ailerons?

Derek
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:41 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
Jazz 60

And if you happen to be in the US...

I have the Jazz 60 in stock...

Steve

californiasailplanes.com
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:48 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
263 Posts
No luck there Steve, in Melbourne, Australia. But thanks for the offer.

Derek
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:52 AM
Rialto, CA
Joined Jun 2002
306 Posts
I didn't notice any flutter with the large elevons. I normally leave a handswidth gap between the elevons so I can rear launch the wing, but figured with the larger size, that I would be better off front launching.

I think the servo was bad right from the beginning and I didn't realize it. After I put the plane together, I had some weird servo glitching when fully assembled. I swapped around receivers and switches looking for the problem. Problem went away so I went flying. Problem come back during flight and plane stop flying Servo now dead.

OH well, I have more servos

Jack
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:55 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
263 Posts
A bloke in at my local showed up with a big epp wing. I think it was about 6 foot, I never saw it fly but those who did feared for their lives. From what I heard it howled along but he had to put so much lead on it to get it to balance they named it the 'Widow Maker'.

Was amazed at the 650 gram flying weight of the Jazz 60. We share our slope with lots of walkers often with baby strollers so the 650 gram weight really appeals.

Derek
Old Jul 03, 2003, 01:57 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
Australia

Wow, I bet you have some cool slope locations there !!!!

I watched Jack's first flight, he had the first Jazz 60 completed here. It flew as if on rails and I was amazed by the speed.

I have on put away for myself as soon as I get 2 more demo planes finished.

How popular is the Canterbury line in Australia?

Steve
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Jul 03, 2003, 02:07 AM
Rialto, CA
Joined Jun 2002
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mingonn

Was amazed at the 650 gram flying weight of the Jazz 60. We share our slope with lots of walkers often with baby strollers so the 650 gram weight really appeals.

Derek
650 Grams? maybe for a 1-piecer, but I wouldn't expect that with a 2-piece wing. It takes more parts and more weight to build it as a two-piecer. I just threw mine on a scale and it was around 1000 grams without a joiner. I figure a light joiner would be around 25-50 grams or so, and my 1/2" steel rod joiner is 300 grams all by itself.

Jack
Old Jul 03, 2003, 02:12 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
263 Posts
Cantebury Sailplanes are very popular in Melbourne, there are so many F20's its not funny. Those 60 inch F20 should go down well, a friend already has the small one and is itching to go larger. Erasers are also really popular and as is my all time favourite the PC9 and are its derivative warbirds. Not too many Jazz Extremes though.

Changing times here though. Combat seems to be on the way out, really hard to find anyone to do battle with these days. It was really big a couple of years ago but last summer people seemed more interested in model stroking than doing battle. Lots of imaculately finished EPP scale birds and understandable people were a bit precious. Couldn't work it out myself, would have thought Warbirds = Battle but not so.

How is the combat scene in the US? Seems like there is alot more interest in DS and PSS these days.

Lots of fantastic places to fly in Oz, problem is the lack of flyers. Such a big country and so few people I suppose, gets pretty boring flying solo.

A friend has set up an non commercial forum www.ozslope.com to try and get some interest up. Has only been up for a bit but good response so far.

Derek
Old Jul 03, 2003, 05:10 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
I posted some pics of my New Jazz 60 (the first on this site) a month or three ago and it recieved very little interest, heck even Stegre missed it.
Mine flies great, I love it.

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Jul 03, 2003, 06:41 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined May 2001
1,794 Posts
mingonn

Combat in Canberra is alive and well though only in Summer. The most we have had up at once was 12 EPP combatants, great fun.

Cheers
Flint is offline Find More Posts by Flint