pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:07 PM
TakeOff=optional,Landing= Must
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
Thanks for the comments & replies.
The paint is just standard hardware shop grade spray paint from a can, not the cheap & nasty paint that remains sticky. For locals it the "squirts" brand from Bunnings.
I needed to use a fair bit of white paint to cover the blue colour, I hope it has not added too much weight.
fg1972 is online now Find More Posts by fg1972
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:37 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Just ordered the HET 2W23 motor and Wemotec Fan.

I thought that would be a kinder setup (amp/load wise) to the stock ESC with my 5S lipos.

Thanks for all the advise guys, it was a big help.

Cheers
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:25 PM
USA, FL, Doral
Joined Jul 2006
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Looks GREAT!!

I did something similar with my Habu...
Where did you get those stickers?
Thinking of doing something like that with mine!
yucafrita is offline Find More Posts by yucafrita
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:39 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,326 Posts
motor failure

Following up from post last night, here are some pics and my inspection report:
Upon inspection it is clear that the impeller is rubbing the case in one spot. It seems the motor shifted just a hair and it started rubbing. I think the g load from pulling into a loop started the chain of events. The rubbing either stopped the impeller or drastically slowed it down. That would cause a rapid drop in back voltage (same call it emf) in the windings and allow a massive amount of current to flow. This resulted in charred windings with some falling apart (see the pics). I found the metal screws mounting the motor on edf unit either had no or nearly no threadlock on them. I should have pulled it apart during the build - that concept was hammered into me when learning heli build but I didn't apply it here.

Oh well, I've ordered a new motor and the edf case. I hope it arrives by Friday, really want to fly it on Saturday.

My local friends are blaming this on 5S (it happened on my first flight with 5S, second Meteor flight). I think it was impeller collision with case that did this. Agree?
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:09 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,513 Posts
Yea, sure looks like an off centered motor to me...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:20 AM
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yucafrita View Post
Where did you get those stickers?
Thinking of doing something like that with mine!
Made them myself with Microsoft Visio, printed them on decal paper, then applied as water transfer
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:26 AM
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
@ Arkturus97,
After seeing your damaged motor, I might not use the stock fan/housing as I'm having lots of trouble trying to dynamically balance mine. The whole thing especially the impeller is not quite true. I have run it up several times on the bench & just don't trust it.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:27 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,326 Posts
What do you guys think of this theory regarding my motor / Edf failure? It's a sort of which came first chicken or egg type thing. 1) I think the fan got off center first, hit the case, which caused the motor to overheat and destroy itself. 2) due to 5S the motor overheated first, softening the plastic motor mounting holes just enough, allowing the fan/case collision.

I think it's #1 just because so many people on this thread have successfully used 5S with stock power system.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:30 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
@ Arkturus97,
After seeing your damaged motor, I might not use the stock fan/housing as I'm having lots of trouble trying to dynamically balance mine. The whole thing especially the impeller is not quite true. I have run it up several times on the bench & just don't trust it.
How do you dynamically balance the impeller? I statically balanced my impeller just like a prop with a magnetically mounted balancer.

What impeller and housing are you using? I've already ordered a new replacement motor and housing from nitroplanes.... :-(
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:15 AM
crashing build's character.
United States, AL, Dora
Joined Mar 2008
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
What do you guys think of this theory regarding my motor / Edf failure? It's a sort of which came first chicken or egg type thing. 1) I think the fan got off center first, hit the case, which caused the motor to overheat and destroy itself. 2) due to 5S the motor overheated first, softening the plastic motor mounting holes just enough, allowing the fan/case collision.

I think it's #1 just because so many people on this thread have successfully used 5S with stock power system.
#2 because it has happen to me. the fan can not handle the heat. get you a wemotec or a Eflite fan.
onefastxp is offline Find More Posts by onefastxp
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:40 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Yea, sure looks like an off centered motor to me...
I think it's the angle of the camera. Look at the fan shroud, it's not centered in the camera.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Sep 28, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:47 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,212 Posts
I think its a matter of there are good and bad units. There are several people flying the stock setup on 5S with no problems. Then there are those that have them burn up in nothing flat. As for me the jury is still out. I think before I go 5S I will do a little more checking and balancing. I have dozens of flights on 4S with no issue at all. But who knows when I make the jump it may go it may not. Time will tell.

Jason
FresnoJay is online now Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
HET lover here
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hold my Beer and watch this!
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
Broke off my nose and top of the rudder Turned too quickly after landing. Do I need to use foam safe on this ?

Thanks
silent_guru is offline Find More Posts by silent_guru