SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:24 AM
United States, TX, Burkburnett
Joined Oct 2010
699 Posts
texbird i fly mine at high school soccer feild . it glides nice lands slow with a litle practice. i use 4 and 5s . check out youtube .
c payne is offline Find More Posts by c payne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:37 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
Got my Meteor in the mail from Grayson Hobby today, what a beatuy Also impressed by the quick delivery from Grayson. I placed the order on dec. 28th It was shipped on dec 29th using USPS, it has been sitting for a couple of days in Norwegian customs before I could pick it up today.

Looking forward to put it together and to fly it.

It comes with a little plastic cone on the nose, is this just for protection during shipping? Did you guys remove it?

I intend to put a "Squall" thrust vectoring unit on it, should be interesting.
http://www.phase3models.com/product.aspx?ID=ph019-13
Helgeo is offline Find More Posts by Helgeo
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:15 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Does anyone have any more video of high speed low passes. I'm using that droid "speedo" app to measure speed from videos. From Jason's earlier video I got a peak of 70mph but that was not a good pass for doing an audio sample. Low and fast and WOT for about 5 seconds before and 3 seconds after passing center of camera is best. Low and straights as you can get while still maintaining safety. I was looking at the concept x, but I think I like the RX ready meteor better. Someone said ESC can handle 5S. does it have a seperate Switching BEC? Anyone know the Amp rating on the ESC? Thx
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:35 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,213 Posts
Melnic, On 1 of my 2 videos I was able to get a reading of just above 87mph using the same app you have on your phone.

As for the ESC it has a switch mode BEC built in to it 3A to be exact. Its identical to a Turnigy Plush 60A which is good up to 5S using the onboard BEC. Its on 6S that it would need to be disabled. I personally only use Turnigy Plush ESC's as they are solid at a great price. The stock ESC should have a burst rating fo 80A as thats the 60A Plushs' burst.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:20 PM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
671 Posts
Can someone give me the dimensions of the battery area?
maverickma is offline Find More Posts by maverickma
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:49 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,213 Posts
In post #56 I posted pics of the batt bay with 4S 2200 30C and a 4S 4000 30C in it. Should give you a good idea of size. Will try to get actual measurements tomorrow. I am at work right now unfortunately, lol.

Jason
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
In post #56 I posted pics of the batt bay with 4S 2200 30C and a 4S 4000 30C in it. Should give you a good idea of size. Will try to get actual measurements tomorrow. I am at work right now unfortunately, lol.

Jason
I have three 4 cell 6000mah lipos with an 18c rating and they weigh about 560g so I'm not sure if that's just too heavy. I know you said 550g earlier. I use them for my giant scales, but would love to use them individually!!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,213 Posts
Maverickma, I think my 4000 weighs around 460g but anything bigger than a 3000mah I think is a waste as you dont gain any performance and just adds dead weight. A 3000 would give I would guess a solid 7-8 min flight. but thats just my .02.

Jason
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:28 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Maverickma, I think my 4000 weighs around 460g but anything bigger than a 3000mah I think is a waste as you dont gain any performance and just adds dead weight. A 3000 would give I would guess a solid 7-8 min flight. but thats just my .02.

Jason
Agreed, i had a 3000 and 3300 4 cell, and the 3000 felt good, but the 3300 just make the meteor fly heavy.

even with a 2650 i get well over 5 minutes if needed.

Saturday i picked up a spare wing from Grayson hobby's storefront, and will be installing hk312 electric retracts in it, just barely has enough thickness in the wing to do so.
At this time i think i will finish the mains first, and if they perform to my liking, i will mod the nose gear for retracts also. doesnt help that the 3rd etract is on backorder LOL.

Ill post pictures when i get a chance.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
SoCal
Joined Nov 2007
457 Posts
Quote:

Jason
That's good news for me. I ordered 2 of the 3000mAH 30C Sky Lipos for my Meteor. Haven't got the chance to maiden yet because my ARF only came with one Y connector (for the ailerons). Shouldn't it come with another one for the rudder and nose wheel? I emailed Nitroplanes but no response yet.
tshiah is offline Find More Posts by tshiah
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiah View Post
That's good news for me. I ordered 2 of the 3000mAH 30C Sky Lipos for my Meteor. Haven't got the chance to maiden yet because my ARF only came with one Y connector (for the ailerons). Shouldn't it come with another one for the rudder and nose wheel? I emailed Nitroplanes but no response yet.
Yes, Mine was foating around in the fuse if i remember correctly.

however, i did away with the y harness's and pluged the ailerons in AIL and AUX1, then put the rudder in RUD and the nose sterring in GEAR. I know once the retracts are in I will need to change this but for stock i like the steering seperate so i can have crazy high rudder and still tame the ground steering.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:28 PM
Fogelsville, PA
Joined Mar 2004
671 Posts
Quote:

Jason
Good info Jason. Do you prefer a 4 cell or 5 cell lipo in the Meteor?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
Saturday i picked up a spare wing from Grayson hobby's storefront,
I dont see any replacement parts for meteor anywhere on Graysons - where is it listed?

Why is the search function so bad on all these rc sites?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:02 PM
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
I dont see any replacement parts for meteor anywhere on Graysons - where is it listed?

Why is the search function so bad on all these rc sites?
he didnt have it listed yet, call them ( they are closed today due to weather here in GA)

however, he did tell me he had 9 more sets of wings( you will need to transfer the plastic parts over) canopys, landing gear sets, and fan/motor units. he may have had horizontal and vertical fins but i cant remember off hand. no fusulage's though.

hope this helps.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Has anyone actually done shipping tape or some other coating (silk?) to a meteor and then crashed it? If so, how did it hold up?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird