HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:58 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
I run 4S 2200 30C's and 4S 4000 30C's.

Texbird, I would say you need to be proficient with the trainer. See if you can download a model like the Meteor and practice with it in Flightsim. If you can get comfortable with that then go for it.

Jason
FresnoJay is online now Find More Posts by FresnoJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:01 AM
United States, TX, Burkburnett
Joined Oct 2010
477 Posts
move up to a low wing prop thats fast get realy good with landing . then try edf. when i got my 1rst jet there was no electrics they were nitro and 6 feet long . back then the trainer was an f16 . the same people that make the meteor make an f16 park jet with a 3s setup wouderfull to fly easy to land . now im not a flight instructer .. thats just how ilearned . check out grayson hobby dynam planes they have bothe pnp 129.00
c payne is offline Find More Posts by c payne
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:45 AM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
I dont see a meteor replacement fuselage for sale anywhere? Just the receiver-ready version?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:13 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Looks like they do not have any of the dynam products spare parts. You might check with grayson hobby they may have some spare parts. You might have to buy another arf if you really want to fly this bird. Can you post a pic of the damage done? Maybe we can give you some suggestions on how to bring it back to life.
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:58 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
Looks like they do not have any of the dynam products spare parts. You might check with grayson hobby they may have some spare parts. You might have to buy another arf if you really want to fly this bird. Can you post a pic of the damage done? Maybe we can give you some suggestions on how to bring it back to life.
I think Basil at Grayson told me they only got wings, canopy hatches, motors/fan units, and ESC for parts. Basically with this plane if you plant it hard enough to damage the fuselage or elevators ( glued on to fuselage) parts would get expensive.

this epo brakes very clean and is easy to repair. it might not be pretty but it will work.

Another thing is that some people complete cover their edf's in packing tape and ive heard it makes them damn near indestructable, also reduces the flex on the wings etc.

Personally, if i kill mine i will get a PZ Habu airframe and 5 cell that.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Oct 2010
477 Posts
f jay thank you !! the wind was calm today so i flew with my 2200 4s . ihave 3. with out any extr weight . what delite . the landings were slower and smoother . its like a new plane. my first meteor was tail heavy and on my5th flight lost conection with the rx and destroyed it . must of been a lemmon.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:54 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
LOL i havent crashed it yet. I am just anticipating that i will

I know some other EDFs have lot of easy/cheap to get fuselage parts so that seems like the main disadvantage of the meteor right now compared to something like the phase 3 f16. $100 to replace entire fuselage vs $40. I know you can frequently just do a repair instead of a whole replacement.

Decisions decisions...
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:58 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c payne View Post
i think the meteor looks better and can use a5s with out an upgrade and rtf for 159 ihave 3edf s 2 from banana hobby 1 from nitro planes all 2.4 gh radios work great all the parts came my bh f18 70mm is out standing . i allways hear people complaining about banan hobby all my planes arrived in 4 days complete they answere the phones and email for me.
You can run a 5s in the Habu, you just take the chance of blowing the ESC, as is the case with the Meteor. The reason the Habu is more of an issue is because it is a higher KV motor. 3200 vs 2800. (This is not a BAD thing either...faster motor means faster plane.)_The Habu on 5s is a ripper!
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:55 PM
SoCal
Joined Nov 2007
457 Posts
Does the ARF Meteor come with a battery?

From Nitro's website, I just ordered the RTF Meteor minus the Tx/Rx, and it added to my cart as ARF.

Do you guys know if the ARF comes with the battery?
tshiah is offline Find More Posts by tshiah
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:39 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiah View Post
From Nitro's website, I just ordered the RTF Meteor minus the Tx/Rx, and it added to my cart as ARF.

Do you guys know if the ARF comes with the battery?
i dont think it does. I could be wrong though.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:41 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
It will not come with a batt. Mine was technically what they consider the ARF. No batt, tx/rx.

Jason
FresnoJay is online now Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:25 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
A thought just occurred.

Has anyone tried to see if the HABU replacement fuselage parts fit onto the meteor? I.e. can you put a habu wing on the meteor without modifications?

Bet no one has tried it right?
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:40 PM
SoCal
Joined Nov 2007
457 Posts
I was thinking of using the Orange Rx in a Dynam Meteor. This plane also comes in an RTF version for $50 more, which gets you a 4S 2650mAH battery and Tx and Rx. Considering the 4S battery is worth about $30, this means the Tx and Rx are worth only $20. Is using a $20 Tx/Rx any better than using my $10 Orange Rx with a DX6i?
tshiah is offline Find More Posts by tshiah
Last edited by tshiah; Jan 06, 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:13 AM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
So what is the minimum flying area you need for this plane assuming you keep the speed down to a casual pace?
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Oct 2010
477 Posts
dont use the dynam tx and rx . igot the rdy to fly version first and on my 3rd flight my plane flew away and was destroyed!!!! so i put the moter and fan in my dynam f16 with 1800 mah 5s ooh we man . i love to modify