SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2011, 06:24 PM
Joined Mar 2005
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
The fans are not centered or balanced from the factory. You did not mention what battery you are using 4s or 5s. It appears that they just run the fan off center and grind down the fan blades into submission. So any fan unit you get will have those scratches. If you want, pull the fan off and "work" the 4 motor mounting screws. The motor/fan blades can be centered quite well. I use a magnetic balancer from topflight. The fans will run smooth as silk when balanced.. I doubt the problem you experienced was do to the scratches(fan rubbing) most likely you got a bum ESC. The Dynam power set is a good one. I have several and they last and put out lots of air. Hobbypartz sells the fan and ESC with 4 servos to boot for $55 shipped. quite the deal...
5s
I tried the esc on another motor and it seemed to work fine. The motor was definitely shot. Can the esc ruin the motor?
brianu.16 is offline Find More Posts by brianu.16
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2011, 07:24 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
795 Posts
Just got back from a flight.
I am impressed.
First minute I was getting used to it.
My other edf is Dynam Turbo Jet and Lear Jet. Both make lots of noise. Have adequate power, but....
Meteor is better. Is faster, lot better roll rate and is easier to handle at low speed.
After babying it for a while I started to really pull on the sticks. WOW!!!
Good thing I read here about not enough elevator and I modified my linkage to get more travel.
I got it setup on 4 cell. I can only imagine what you guys getting on 5 and with retracts.
I'll run like this for some time.

Awesome plane.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old May 14, 2011, 09:00 PM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
Just got back from a flight.
I am impressed.
First minute I was getting used to it.
My other edf is Dynam Turbo Jet and Lear Jet. Both make lots of noise. Have adequate power, but....
Meteor is better. Is faster, lot better roll rate and is easier to handle at low speed.
After babying it for a while I started to really pull on the sticks. WOW!!!
Good thing I read here about not enough elevator and I modified my linkage to get more travel.
I got it setup on 4 cell. I can only imagine what you guys getting on 5 and with retracts.
I'll run like this for some time.

Awesome plane.

Rob
just got this jet..my first edf jet..stock setup and batt...i have a dx6i

do you think the orange rx from hk will be ok with range etc with this jet?

also what mods did you guys do for the elevator?...Nightflyyer gave me a good tip in his video for this jet...THANKS GUYS
jjh24 is offline Find More Posts by jjh24
Old May 14, 2011, 10:14 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianu.16 View Post
5s
I tried the esc on another motor and it seemed to work fine. The motor was definitely shot. Can the esc ruin the motor?
Did you ever hear a severe screeching noise from the fan? An esc going out or failing to syc will make a horrible noise..
Anything is possible. I can tell you that I have many flights on the Meteor using 5s. I just pulled the wing off to check the magnets in the motor and they are still cogging like a new motor. I always thought I would cook the motor at 1kw input but it never has and now it looks like it never even overheated. I also believe no one else has reported esc or a motor or servo to fail. Not sure what all NP is sending you but hopefully you will get many happy flights from now on...
Tom in Cincy is offline Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old May 14, 2011, 10:33 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
Did you ever hear a severe screeching noise from the fan? An esc going out or failing to syc will make a horrible noise..
Anything is possible. I can tell you that I have many flights on the Meteor using 5s. I just pulled the wing off to check the magnets in the motor and they are still cogging like a new motor. I always thought I would cook the motor at 1kw input but it never has and now it looks like it never even overheated. I also believe no one else has reported esc or a motor or servo to fail. Not sure what all NP is sending you but hopefully you will get many happy flights from now on...
Did you replace the stock esc before going to 5s Tom?
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 14, 2011, 10:42 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
No. I think the stock controller is great. As a matter of fact I bought 3 extras to replace Castle Phoenix 45's in my older edf's. They may be re-badged hobbywing controllers since the programming board from hobbywing programs them right down to the 20 or so songs the ESC will play during the arming sequence. The only drawback to them is they are a little heavy. For $23 I love them.
Tom in Cincy is offline Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old May 14, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined May 2011
73 Posts
Dynam Meteor Standard aprox 166km/h x 237km/h Upgrade Setup

Dynam Meteor Standard 166km/h x 237km/h Upgrade Setup?? (0 min 41 sec)
djtibas is offline Find More Posts by djtibas
Old May 15, 2011, 03:35 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh24 View Post
just got this jet..my first edf jet..stock setup and batt...i have a dx6i

do you think the orange rx from hk will be ok with range etc with this jet?
I fly mine with a DX7 and the 6 channel Orange DSM2 rx from HK, have not had any issues. The Meteor is so small that you will loose sight of it before you get out of range. But please do a range check on your setup before you try it
Helgeo is offline Find More Posts by Helgeo
Old May 15, 2011, 12:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,558 Posts
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Top Flight magnetic prop balancer. Once you get some experience doing it, it should take no time to balance one up. I can even count how many I have done for myself and friends. Its really worth the time to learn and do. Nothing sounds better than a well balanced fan .

Jason
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old May 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
still looking for a kit only in europe. thnks for the offer rob but as I wa\s informed latetly whatever comes from outside europe gets a descent amount of custom charges so. it won't be comming handy if you get it.

so for a kit only the price from 69 might go as far as 180usd
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 15, 2011, 07:39 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
calculating flight time/current draw

Hello all,

Still waiting for my PNP Meteor to arrive but have been aquireing the nec gear and accesories. I ordered 2 Sky Lipo 2650mAh 18.5V 30C batteries based on some of the posts above but am confused how to calculate current draw using the stock 3000kv motor.

I understand that these Lipos can discharge 2650 x 30c= 79500 mAh/60min=1325.

capacity of 2650/1325=2 min of run time if I maxed out the batteries to 100% which I know I'm not supposed to do. This means 1.5 minutes of run time to get to 75% of battery capacity???

What am I figuring wrong besides not flying at WOT the whold time (but its a jet...)? Is my calculation off, what am I missing?

Thx
Bill
Bill in MI is offline Find More Posts by Bill in MI
Last edited by Bill in MI; May 15, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old May 15, 2011, 09:20 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Bill, From where I stand 2650 should be the 4S choice as it offers decent flight time and still fairly light. For 5S I would personally go with 3000-3600Mah both in the 30C variety in the 4S and 5S realms. But thats just me as I do like flight time even for those times when I have a heavy foot .

Jason

P.S. To answer you actual question with throttle management you could get 3-3:30 minutes or so on the 2650 5S. The stock setup on 5S only pulls around 55-58A.
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old May 15, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
P.S. To answer you actual question with throttle management you could get 3-3:30 minutes or so on the 2650 5S. The stock setup on 5S only pulls around 55-58A.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. And since I'll be running the stock 60 amp ESC that is about max. How did you caclulate the amps?

Bill
Bill in MI is offline Find More Posts by Bill in MI
Old May 15, 2011, 10:29 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgeo View Post
I fly mine with a DX7 and the 6 channel Orange DSM2 rx from HK, have not had any issues. The Meteor is so small that you will loose sight of it before you get out of range. But please do a range check on your setup before you try it
is that the single antenna one in the orange box or the dual antenna that is the 6110e clone? I have both ] but I was told the single antenna with orange box actually had more range.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 17, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:45 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
is that the single antenna one in the orange box or the dual antenna that is the 6110e clone? I have both, but I was told the single antenna with orange box actually had more range.
yes i can confirm that. With ot without the satelite the boxed one has more range. Actually the sat doesnt add any range on the rx. Its for more reliable signal
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon