Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 13, 2011, 02:28 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscovet View Post
Well I added some retracts to my meteor and that was a big FAIL on my part. It was a mess. I ordered those cheapos from nitroplanes and some from HK. Well one of the HK ones failed and the front retract would not lock in place correctly causing the steering to not work correctly. The nitroplanes ones did not come with tightening screws and when I finally found them, they did not really lock the rod into place well so it slipped a bunch. By then the retracts were epoxied into place so it was impossible to access the tightening screws.

Overall they made the plane too heavy causing it to come in super hot. She really needs flaps with the retracts but by then I was so irritated that I decided to retire her and pick up a new airframe. She was pretty busted up with some of those hot landings. She really hauls arse with the MB-1 and 5s3A lipo. She is just better off without the retracts.
ive seen some doing this without a problem at all. Anw i ve already tried the changesun retract with lots of success .. So im not afraid to removesome foam epoxy the pocket and screw 4 screws to each pocket
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2011, 02:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
oh and rob thanks for the offer. If we order now and you leave on sunday. When will you be able to send?
Old May 13, 2011, 05:32 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
oh and rob thanks for the offer. If we order now and you leave on sunday. When will you be able to send?
I am back next Friday. By then stuff should be in and ready to send to you.
LMK.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old May 13, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Mar 2005
139 Posts
So I sent my Meteor up for the first flight today. After a few passes on one of my climbs smoke came out the back of it. Lost engine power. Glided it in. Inside the EDF fan there was scratches like the fan was off centered??? Nitroplanes is RMA'ing me a new one. How can I avoid this in the future? Thanks to anybody who helps
brianu.16 is offline Find More Posts by brianu.16
Old May 14, 2011, 12:13 AM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
The fans are not centered or balanced from the factory. You did not mention what battery you are using 4s or 5s. It appears that they just run the fan off center and grind down the fan blades into submission. So any fan unit you get will have those scratches. If you want, pull the fan off and "work" the 4 motor mounting screws. The motor/fan blades can be centered quite well. I use a magnetic balancer from topflight. The fans will run smooth as silk when balanced.. I doubt the problem you experienced was do to the scratches(fan rubbing) most likely you got a bum ESC. The Dynam power set is a good one. I have several and they last and put out lots of air. Hobbypartz sells the fan and ESC with 4 servos to boot for $55 shipped. quite the deal...
Tom in Cincy is online now Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old May 14, 2011, 04:51 AM
soKali, Chino
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
To post pics you just go to the advanced post. Then towards the bottom of the advanced page there is a manage attatchments button. Then just select upload should be like 6-8 slots and click one to browse your computer for the pic to upload.

Here are some pics of my electronics bay.

Jason
thanks
jjh24 is offline Find More Posts by jjh24
Old May 14, 2011, 05:20 AM
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianu.16 View Post
So I sent my Meteor up for the first flight today. After a few passes on one of my climbs smoke came out the back of it. Lost engine power. Glided it in. Inside the EDF fan there was scratches like the fan was off centered??? Nitroplanes is RMA'ing me a new one. How can I avoid this in the future? Thanks to anybody who helps
Don't buy from Nitroplanes!
stylz is offline Find More Posts by stylz
Old May 14, 2011, 06:56 AM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylz View Post
I've bought many things from Nitroplanes and they have replaced parts in a timely matter. My last experience was the best though.
I ordered the Meteor with two 5s2.6A lipos. One lipo had a bad cell. Sent them a message and called as well. One person sent me an RMA. The other one sent me a new replacement battery. The battery that I recieved was a 4s1.6 lipo from a previous order. Let them know that the battery was the wrong one. Sent in the bad 5s battery. They sent me a replacement in under a week. To my surprise they must of just redid the original order because I got two 5s batteries. So I recieved a total of two extra batteries. Not bad nitroplanes!!!
ciscovet is offline Find More Posts by ciscovet
Old May 14, 2011, 07:30 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylz View Post
I had nothing, but good experience with them.
Timely answers to emails and shipping.
They called me once to make sure I was satisfied after a mishap with orders.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old May 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,162 Posts
So

From what I read the quality of meteor vs HAbu is hit and miss

Unbalanced, uncentered fans ?

Not enough stock elevator

But it's a lot cheaper

Then again

HAbu ARF is 200 now

How do they compare fit and finish ?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old May 14, 2011, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
well razors.. why not buy a kit only and put your own electronics in it. a friend of mine always comes to the field with both.
the habu always comes down with hot ESC
you can always buy the meteor and a DeltaV or just balance the EDF unit.

But since I used my HET9604 fan in a 70mm EDF JEt I never looked back.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:57 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,162 Posts
Yeah

The fact that HAbu ESC isn't cooled from duct is bad

One check for meteor
Old May 14, 2011, 12:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
the only minus I see is landing gear which most of the owners don't use and the balance od the EDF unit which is also easy to do. neither the DeltaV is fully balanced anw. well balanced but not the best
Old May 14, 2011, 12:33 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,162 Posts
How do you balance a fan?
Old May 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Top Flight magnetic prop balancer. Once you get some experience doing it, it should take no time to balance one up. I can even count how many I have done for myself and friends. Its really worth the time to learn and do. Nothing sounds better than a well balanced fan .

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay