Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:24 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Joel, I put a smaller exit tube in the plane than the one the plane normally has. I made it out of posterboard but others make them out of clear plastic sheets rolled up. It starts at the fan and runs all the way out the tailpipe exit. I will add a pic to show my Meteor from the back.

The servo leads run through the hole/holes in the spine of the Fuse where your tail feathers leading edge meets the fuse. I will see what I can do to get you a pic of this.

The double sided tape is made by 3M and is the clear kind double sided. Its as thin as conventional clear scotch tape just double sided. I chose tape over glue for ease of maitenance and just enough adhesion to grip but not be a pain to remove.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:36 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
I'm planning on picking one of these up. What size 4s and 5s packs will fit without having to add weight to correct the cg? I want to order a ARF and buy a mix of 4s and 5s to fly with.
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:43 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFedDSM View Post
I'm planning on picking one of these up. What size 4s and 5s packs will fit without having to add weight to correct the cg? I want to order a ARF and buy a mix of 4s and 5s to fly with.
I flew mine with a 4s 3000mah sky lipo without the added weights i have for my 2650 and it was almost right at the same balance, if i shifted the battery maybe an extra 1/4" forward it would have been spot on.

think the weight of the battery was supposed to be about 340-550 grams Iirc.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:36 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
I've got mine ready to maiden. All stock.

It's power draw is 650 watts at 42 amps which should provide pretty strong performance.

It's balancing right in the middle of recommended range with the stock battery centered in the cutout.

Control throws are very mininal for the elevator but very large for the ailerons, as supplied. Looks like it might be a good idea to tame the aileron throw a little, at least for maiden. It that small elevator throw sufficient?
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:02 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
On the elevator I cut the actuating rod slots a bit bigger to allow more throw than normal. I was worried about not enough movement. I also worked the hinge line quite a bit before hooking it up to the servo and trying it. I do this with all my planes just to ensure free movement.

Jason
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:25 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
On the elevator I cut the actuating rod slots a bit bigger to allow more throw than normal. I was worried about not enough movement. I also worked the hinge line quite a bit before hooking it up to the servo and trying it. I do this with all my planes just to ensure free movement.

Jason
I did similar as well as change to a mg90 metal gear servo.

I use the parkzone habu throws for refrence and Cg as it flies very nice. Gave these specs to another meteor owner and he agreed it was a good high low rate throws.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:49 AM
United States, TX, Burkburnett
Joined Oct 2010
594 Posts
thanks jay for the battery tray pictures . no more dead weight for me
c payne is offline Find More Posts by c payne
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:31 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
Did the maiden, #2 and #3 flights today and they all went very well. Plane flys with good stability and a nice, wide speed envelope. It's not as fast as I'd imagined but still gives a good account of itself at WOT.

Landings and takeoffs are very nice without the anxiety that some EDF's cause.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the "half price habu".
Last edited by dbc; Jan 03, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:42 AM
Joined Oct 2010
594 Posts
dbc try it with a5s you will love it . value hobby 3300 5s only 45.00 . mine works great!!!!! from the runway strait up with a smile
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:06 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
A five S Pack is the only way to fly the meteor. I have 2 of these cells and they have held up fine. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15011
Tom in Cincy is offline Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:24 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
5s was my first thought for a little more speed.

How is the motor holding up when used with 5s?

Anyone have 20 or more flights on 5s?
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:28 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
I still have yet to go 5S as funds have been low from the holidays. Plus the LHS that I get my big packs from has been moving since before the 1st. Today is thier first day open since the move. Hope to get out there in the net few days.

Jason
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:48 PM
Joined Oct 2010
594 Posts
im going on about 15 flights on a5s no issues . i use my 4s to relax while my 5s is charging
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:10 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
What size 4s and 5s packs are you guys running?
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:56 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
so guys - a good first EDF? & RX question

I am somewhat comfortable with a 3 channel prop trainer plane.
And i use a flite sim.
Could i do OK with this as my first EDF if i kept the speed lower?

Also, I assume i can get the receiver-ready version and put in the OrangeRx Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver from Hobbyking. And then use my DX5e with this?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird