HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2010, 03:33 AM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,041 Posts
Thank you FJ. I'm looking forward to your comparison of the Habu and Meteor.

Mfpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Ok not sure why this thread died but just a bit of an update for the thread. I have a Meteor and got the maiden +1 flight out of it today. One of my close flying buddies has a Habu and we should be able to do a comparison flight or flights in the next week or so hopefully. He is out of town right now or it would have happened today.

Anyhow my views of the plane are this. It handles great has decent vertical and over all performance on 4S. Yes there is at least one person flying it on 5S that has posted in the other thread and I plan on picking up a 5S pack to try it for myself. The stock ESC can handle it on 5S so its all good there.

Here is a little video from my maiden but not complete as the cam batts died mid flight. My Meteor is the $109 PnP version and am using a 4S 4000 30C pack. Please note the name on the vid for the plane is the name its been affectionately given and is in no way ment to rip off or hurt anyones feelings.

Jason
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:29 AM
"Oh the humanity!"
Clovis California
Joined Aug 2006
273 Posts
Jason,
I'm back in town, and spent the evening replacing my nose wheel steering servo on my Habu. She's ready to rock and I look forward to doing some formation flying with your Yaboo soon!
Fyrcap59 is offline Find More Posts by Fyrcap59
Old Dec 01, 2010, 07:26 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,262 Posts
Spell it with a J and it will sound like a latin version Jaboo!
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:23 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,188 Posts
Just thought I would share with the thread, went out and put in 2 flights on the Meteor using 4S 2200 30C packs. Flew for 3min each flight and packs came down at 3.8V per cell. Which means I could possibly squeak out a 4 min flight with TM. This is good as I have 2 4S 2200 30C XPS packs that haven't seen much service since my Funjet nosed in. So 2 flights per outing at the minimum now which is awesome. As a side note since the plane is now around 4-5oz lighter the performance shows. Better vert and a touch faster to boot. 5S testing still to come but funds are tight and are the only thing holding me back at current time.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:25 AM
United States, TX, Burkburnett
Joined Oct 2010
260 Posts
check out value hobby 5s 3300 mah 30 c $ 44.0
c payne is online now Find More Posts by c payne
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
260 Posts
first flight of my meteor flew great just bought a 5s. will try it out on sat . merry christmas!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c payne View Post
first flight of my meteor flew great just bought a 5s. will try it out on sat . merry christmas!
Let us know how it goes. I thought about 5s for a bit but i think for what it is im going to stick with 4 cell. However I did get a slightly larger 4 cell pack with higher discharge as the 20c i have seems to drop voltage under load a bit too much.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Last edited by smasher41; Dec 23, 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:58 PM
Joined Oct 2010
260 Posts
im back flew my meteor on my value hobby g force 3300 mah 5 s . flew outstanding wonderfulll verticle nice speed the only way to fly!!! i did 3 flights on full throtle no issues forgive my spelling still excited from flying
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
260 Posts
not trying to hijack but if you like afast plane with great verticle i mean great try the dynam f 16. 60 amp esc and a cyclone cs450 with a 4s 2200 all the way 3000 mah . use full throw in the elev . it still lands slow flares nice . perfect!!!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
260 Posts
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:16 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
c_payne,
I have a Meteor coming my way soon :-) How much does your 5S pack weigh? Do you have issues with cog with such a big pack or does the pack sit close to the cog?

I have ordered a 5S 40C 2650 mAh Turnigy pack for mine, hope it will work well.

I also plan to install retracts, I see that retracts on the Habu makes it front heavy and that people add weight to the tail. Would it not be possible to correct this by shifting the battery around or choosing a lighter (or heavier pack)?
Helgeo is online now Find More Posts by Helgeo
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:50 AM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgeo View Post
c_payne,
I have a Meteor coming my way soon :-) How much does your 5S pack weigh? Do you have issues with cog with such a big pack or does the pack sit close to the cog?

I have ordered a 5S 40C 2650 mAh Turnigy pack for mine, hope it will work well.

I also plan to install retracts, I see that retracts on the Habu makes it front heavy and that people add weight to the tail. Would it not be possible to correct this by shifting the battery around or choosing a lighter (or heavier pack)?
on 4 cell i added 28 grams to the nose to balance it and it tracks very well.

I would say with that 5 cell you will have plenty of room to move the battery back farther to balance. just pop out the battery tray cut the foam and reglue.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2010
260 Posts
my 5s weighs 475 g right at a pound. i thought is was going to be nose heavy. nope . i velcroed 1 aa bat behind the wing underneath for the 1rst flight . then flew with my 4s .my 2nd 5s flight i forgot to re velcro the aa made no differance. i originaly ball it the stock 2600 4s . 5s ballanced pretty much the same
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:15 PM
Joined Jan 2006
4 Posts
Hello all especially C-Payne and fresno jay,

got a new Meteor yesterday and would like some build tips if you have any...the instructions are less than informative and would like to know specifically:

How did you mount your fan? There seem to be 2 side rails on the fan unit but nowhere to screw them into on the foam, did you use epoxy or foam-safe CA?

Servo leads from for stab and rudder-did you feed them through the tiny hole in the top of the fuse?

I have both foam-same CA and 2-part BSI epoxy--do you have a preference when gluing the stab assembly to the fuselage?

Going from the included 4s lipo to a 5s, did you change ANYTHING or are your Meteors still stock?

CG indicated on the instructions--accurate or should I go more nose heavy?

Thanks for all the help,
Joel
htjoel is offline Find More Posts by htjoel
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:37 PM
Joined Oct 2010
260 Posts
iam flying stock. to balance with the included 4s i taped 3 aa batteries and velcroed them 1/8 inch infront of the lipo in the battery compartment . when i use the 5s itake them out and its still ballanced . forgive my spelling havent typed in 20 years