HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:27 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_eee View Post
thanks for the advise..i have the motor fan setup from the habu foam version..will that work in this for 5 cell?

Mike
I put the eflite fan unit in mine too, you will have to trim some foam for that fan to fit. From what I recall from the Habu forum you'll need an 80A esc for that setup on 5S.
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:11 PM
TakeOff=optional,Landing= Must
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
Just did the maiden flights this morning and am pleased to say that it went extremely well. Flew 3x batteries mixed throttle for 4 mins and the batteries came down warm with 45% left in them. Performance was very scale like similar to my other meteor running 900-1000 watt Lander 4S setup. The sound of the CS12 is amazing, smooth and quiet woosh sound. Landing on the suspension struts was just beautiful, slow approach with nose up, rears touch down and soak up the impact nicely. Just have a small bit of homework to do with one retract playing up a bit and probably upsize the oleo springs as I've stretched one rear one already.
fg1972 is online now Find More Posts by fg1972
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:23 AM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
Just did the maiden flights this morning and am pleased to say that it went extremely well. Flew 3x batteries mixed throttle for 4 mins and the batteries came down warm with 45% left in them. Performance was very scale like similar to my other meteor running 900-1000 watt Lander 4S setup. The sound of the CS12 is amazing, smooth and quiet woosh sound. Landing on the suspension struts was just beautiful, slow approach with nose up, rears touch down and soak up the impact nicely. Just have a small bit of homework to do with one retract playing up a bit and probably upsize the oleo springs as I've stretched one rear one already.
congrats..that's nice..so with 1000 + watts on tap..did u feel it faster or the weight of retracts and paint compensated it.. Also I did check the motor it was rated for 450watts 3 cell..Am I missing something?

Mike
Mike_eee is offline Find More Posts by Mike_eee
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:20 AM
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
Hi Mike, speed was very similar to my high powered 4S meteor as expected. Maybe a bit quicker even though carrying a bit more weight and possible air disruption around retracts, hard to tell cause it is much quieter. I'l have to fly them back to back next time. I went to 5S for efficiency and longer flight time. The motor I'm using on 5S is much lower kv than the one I'm running 4S but overall power output is about the same.
The motor specs say 3S but many run it safely on higher cells.
Last edited by fg1972; Feb 24, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:36 AM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
Hi Mike, speed was very similar to my high powered 4S meteor as expected. Maybe a bit quicker even though carrying a bit more weight and possible air disruption around retracts, hard to tell cause it is much quieter. I'l have to fly them back to back next time. I went to 5S for efficiency and longer flight time. The motor I'm using on 5S is much lower kv than the one I'm running 4S but overall power output is about the same.
The motor specs say 3S but many run it safely on higher cells.
thanks for the info..i was getting confused in threads which motor to buy for a good efficient 5s system for the 12 blade fan..I will go your route and get a 100 amp esc and same motor and get the blade and hub balanced for a 12 blade from tamjets....I still love ur scheme...back in days of habu i had a few jolly rogger scheme habus but hard to see in air..ur scheme pops out.

Mike
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,227 Posts
As a basic guide.....
5S L2855-2300kv in a CS10 will give approx 900W or so, in the Meteor.
But a good 2200kv (eg CyclonePower, HET etc) will do 1000w.... because they can drive the fan with more 'ease'. So even though they are LOWER KV, which means numerically lower RPM and thus thrust, it does not end up that way. BUT they cost $50 to $75 versus L2855 at $13 !
Using a CS12 will have a bit more load, and thus need a bit more power and motor ability. But quite close to the CS10 to all intents and purposes. From my tests the L2855's struggle with it, which 'appends' to how their higher KV doesn't match better motors with lower KV in the CS10 already. So the extra load of the CS12 is just enough to take them over their effective usable limit. To keep them viable you need to drop to the 2100kv version, and then less power result. eg If there was an L2855-2200kv then in a CS that would be a close match to the CS10 with 2300kv. But 2100kv is a bigger drop and thus comes out a bit under a CS10 2300kv.
But again... those L2855's are very CHEAP and work well anyway (for CS10's).

By 2500kv the power levels are getting up there, and thus you need a 'good' motor... no cheapies will do, or survive. Getting to 1200W or higher areas. 70Amps and upwards.
By then you want to be using 6S instead ! More efficient, and easier on batteries (less Amps for the same power output).

So for 5S I use those cheap L2855's in quite a few planes - typically 800W through to 1000W, which the airframe ducting situation will cause you to end up with that range of result - and if you do want 1200W or more, then go to 6S.

So 5S, 2300kv area.... and if you thought to go higher in KV then you should have actually thought more cells (6S) instead.
2100kv to 2200kv for 6S.
And you would only go 6S if you wanted more power/speed.... so you would either be at 5S 2300kv, or the step up in power to 2100/2200kv on 6S.

The cost of doing that step up to 6S is quite a bit!
5S CS10 L2855-2300 can run, with battery, around $60 total
6S CS10 CyclonePower 2200kv (as it is the cheapest 'good' motor suited to it) is $120 with suitable battery!! Double the price, to get another 200w to 400w(peak). But it also a 'nicer' cleaner sounding system, so that is some benefit of it too.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:40 AM
Quest for Speed!!!
Fremont,CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,190 Posts
I think on this meteor I will keep it light..no retracts, no crazy paint schemes..etc..want it to be my warm up planes before i fly the composites.

I have a dynamically balanced Cyclone alloy housed 70mm CS 10 blade unit with a Cyclone 3300kv inrunner that puts out 1600g of thrust @ 70 amps with 4 cell.

so a good 65c 33000 mah 4 cell would work on 85 amp esc and may be still get the woosh sound I am after.

do i need to install a thrust tube on these meteors? on my habu 32 and hubu foamie i had thrust tubes on high power setup..not sure how these 10/12 blade fan works with efflux velocity and small dia exit...any thoughts?

Mike
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:11 PM
Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2009
137 Posts
Meteor Meltdown

Went to fly the old trust Meteor the other day, plugged in the battery for a test run at home - and got no motor response. All servos worked fine, but nothing from the motor. Funny, it flew fine when I put it away. So I swapped out the esc, and everything seemed ok. Took it to the field and... see the video.
Meteor meltdown (0 min 16 sec)

Now the motor will just groan and pulse if I give it any throttle. I thought it was esc timing, but changing that (if I did it correctly) seemed to have no effect.
I primarily run 5 cells, but probably have only 25 five cell flights on it.

Ideas anyone?
cbr998 is offline Find More Posts by cbr998
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:03 PM
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
cbr998, It could be the ESC gone. Do you have another to test it with?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,227 Posts
cbr998
It is likely that one motor phase is not working, either at all or 'correctly'.
A common issue is bad soldering... in the motor connectors - and one being so bad now that it is messing up the signal.
So if you can, try the motor/fan running off another ESC as a test - just hanging out or wherever, to see if that runs it properly/smooth.

If it runs smooth then... maybe the second ESC you put in has bad solderigg etc.
But more likely the motor will still act amiss. And it is the connector soldering... or internal faulty and has had it.
But checking, and even just re-soldering the connectors anyway (because they can LOOK "ok' but not truly be), is the fist thing to do then.

I have had a motor that played up intermittently, so it would seem all was fine but then randomly not. Re-soldering the connectors cured that.
Most of the 'Chinese' cheaper stuff is quite poorly soldered and amazing that most of it still works fine (apparently).
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Stokeinteignhead
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
I have just ran my Meteor on the watt meter.These are the readings with stock fan/motor/esc,using Zippy compact 3300 5s 35c,

Peak c 60.9 Amp
Voltage 16.19 v
Peak w 1121.37

These readings were at wide open throttle for 20 secs.
autoquip is offline Find More Posts by autoquip
Last edited by autoquip; Feb 26, 2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: add
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,227 Posts
I had never measured mine on stock, just the thrust.
But 1120W is a good amount of power! And in the 5 blade, would be a better thrust result than the same power in CS10/12.
No wonder my 1000w seems a fair bit lesser in performance than it used to be on stock 5S !!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:27 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,999 Posts
In stock form is this a 3s or 4s plane ? I flew the Multiplex Twister on 3s and it was fine but it appears this is a 4s plane as stock form...
FlyHighSelllow is online now Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:56 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post
In stock form is this a 3s or 4s plane ? I flew the Multiplex Twister on 3s and it was fine but it appears this is a 4s plane as stock form...
4S in stock form, some use 5S with stock setup
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:10 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
In its stock form, I take it this will hand launch better than my habu 2 (being almost a pound lighter)? Don't get me wrong, the habu 2 would do it, but it took a hefty throw and a quiet prayer.

Sold my Habu 2 a while back, and then saw these for $119, couldn't say no.

I get mine on Thursday, any mods I need to do while building?
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641