HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:59 AM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
5S 4130kv = 74k RPM..... (drop of 5% or so....70k area)
What fan are they dreaming of putting those into??
And at only 130g they aren't likely to last doing that job!

They would be passable in a 5 or 6 blade on 4S only. And even then still stressful for them (motors and fans)!
57k to 60k RPM
Any decent quality fan should work. Flown here w/ a Wemo..
HET MiG-15 EDF Jet with "The Beast" 70mm EDF Outrunner from Hoffman Magnetics - Maiden (3 min 38 sec)
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:36 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Pashin View Post
Deal of the Century here...claim 1700W w/5S..Need a decent ESC...100A+.
I couldn't resist. If it pulls as advertised, I have a Mig-29 with their name on it.
http://www.rchobbyintl.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=69
This also says it has the 3.17 shaft but in the dynamically balanced unit here using the same motor
it says it has a 5mm shaft. Things that make you go HHMMmmmmmmmm

Good price for a dynamically balanced 70mm EDF though. Hope someone tries them out!

Looks like they have a US phone number and US only shipping so they must be in the states.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Stokeinteignhead
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I think i will go down the route you suggest peter,thats to start with the 5s on stock set up,then go for the 10/12 blade set up. Just waiting now for HK to stock the batteries i need in the UK.
autoquip is offline Find More Posts by autoquip
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:01 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
591 Posts
The stock on 5 cell is a winner, many flights on mine without issue. If you change to a higher blade count your AMP draw will skyrocket.
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:08 PM
TakeOff=optional,Landing= Must
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
Just ordered a new 70mm cs12 unit & metal spinner from xflight and a L2855-2300kv from HKing for this new Meteor in have in the box.
fg1972 is online now Find More Posts by fg1972
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:19 PM
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
Topher39,can i ask you what batteries you are using in your Meteor?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:27 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher39 View Post
The stock on 5 cell is a winner, many flights on mine without issue. If you change to a higher blade count your AMP draw will skyrocket.
I never got to fly mine stock, the edf was bad when I got it and Grayson refused to address the situation. Will never do business with them again!! Some people have issues with the stock on 5S though, its hit and miss.
This place has them too
http://www.rctopshop.com/en/brands/d...-airplane.html
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Last edited by jrjr; Jan 07, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:53 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,508 Posts
Wow, that Storm70 looks like killer specs!! And a very interesting engineering aspect to it!
I wonder what they sound like.... they would be screaming on 5S!!

BUT... they say "Speed range 54k"... which is more typical for that sort of fan - maybe out to 60k, but they might want to set a lower limit to assure safety and its survival.
But that then means you could not even use 4S or 5S on it, and thus wouldn't get anywhere near the power they quote either! So that bit does not add up.

Then the fact that even Wemo etc would only run 3S on 4130kv... or some rarer cases of people pushing them right to limits with 4S on that kv. 5S would just be a big risk and lucky dip if it survived (Wemo).... kaboom.

Then the current levels of doing that...... BIG current, big ESC's... "big" battery C's required....
I guess some people do it.

(I have a great Mirage video - I can't find it on YouTube for now - where it rocket speed fan explodes in a dive where it unloaded to do much higher RPM than it had previously ever done in normal flight situations. Kaboom.. and confetti and pieces float down..... hard to tell, but the fuselage burst and broke in half.)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
Sorry to keep asking questions but the UK warehouse have these in stock.Would they be suitable/fit in the Meteor and if so,what sort of flight times/speed could i expect?

Turnigy
Spec.
Minimum Capacity: 3600mAh
Configuration: 5S1P / 18.5v / 5Cell
Constant Discharge: 30C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 40C
Pack Weight: 495g
Pack Size: 139 x 43 x 36mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge plug: 4mm Bullet-connector
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,508 Posts
All those numbers look fine....
Flight time depends on HOW you fly.. hehe
WOT a lot and 3.0mins or a bit less.

Cruise a lot more often and you can get more towards 4mins, but I expect some people can push out even further. I bet some could get 5mins or more out of 3600mAh.
Especially a lot of club flyers, because the majority of their flying is done in a docile circuit... round and round and round. (some times can fly 'freely'). A park flyer tends to do "everything they want to do", thus X amount more spirited flying - all over the place, more loops high G turns etc etc. thus more power used.

But basically, if you can keep the 'foot' under more control you will get more time. And using the last 10% to 20% throttle (depends on TX setup etc) uses a lot more power than it gives you in speed, so that is where you eat up a lot more capacity.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
Thanks Peter,i think i will push the buy button,will get three to start with.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:07 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
USA, NY, New Hampton
Joined Jan 2005
693 Posts
Anyone thinking of belly landing in the snow be careful. I flew on new years and landed in the snow, took it out today plugged in the battery and toasted the 80a esc. I guess snow got in it when I cut off the heat shrink it was wet inside
nalby is offline Find More Posts by nalby
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:06 PM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Wow, that Storm70 looks like killer specs!! And a very interesting engineering aspect to it!
I wonder what they sound like.... they would be screaming on 5S!!

BUT... they say "Speed range 54k"... which is more typical for that sort of fan - maybe out to 60k, but they might want to set a lower limit to assure safety and its survival.
CS10's are good for 52K rpm...
http://www.hobby-paradise.com/en/pro...ct_detail.html
The key is to have a proper ESC to handle the amps.. I run a Grayson 100A in my Meteor right now with no worries. They also have a 200A version that has good features, and is CHEEEEEP...
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ec-p-1570.html
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,508 Posts
No. CS10's blow up at 42k already!
Which needs huge power to get to... and tested/proven by Tamjets, who balance them to SUPER perfection with high tech balancing equipment. Never go over even 40k with a CS10!
The true ChangeSun spec is 45K... but even that is wrong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:45 PM
FireHawx
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Oct 2011
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
This also says it has the 3.17 shaft but in the dynamically balanced unit here using the same motor
it says it has a 5mm shaft. Things that make you go HHMMmmmmmmmm

Good price for a dynamically balanced 70mm EDF though. Hope someone tries them out!

Looks like they have a US phone number and US only shipping so they must be in the states.
Those have been around for a while, they are Hoffman Magnetics. I have a few Outrunners and they just good heaters. They are amp hogs!! I have actually smoked a lipo and puffed a few other and the output is marginaly above average. Look through the forums and you will see what I am talking about.
..but the shipping was fast....=)
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Last edited by FireHawx; Jan 07, 2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: ..........