SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:47 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Grab this Lander fan, it is great... and great value!!
Google for a Buddy Code and it is then $66. A bargain price for a high power alloy unit!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0watt_6s_.html

I have one for my second Meteor but have not had time to build that up yet.
Are you running this on 6 cells in the Meteor?
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,899 Posts
No, not yet. I have it for my second, un-built (still in box) Meteor.

The current one runs 5S in a CS10 with L2855-2300kv. (approx 1000w)
They do 1.5Kg on bench, and I used to have 1.2Kg in the Meteor, but testing it the other day it was just under 1.1Kg.
I would call it scale "Trainer jet fast".

The 6S Lander specs match what I got testing it approx. (over 2.1kg thrust)
When restricted in the Meteor it should drop a lot and maybe do 1.5Kg in the plane. Which is still great for a 1.4/1.5kg plane... prob 1.5Kg with the fan and battery.
Hopefully scale "Jet fighter fast" then, LOL.
Then if you really wanted to optimise the ducting and thrust tube, it would probably be able to regain a bit more (0.1kg to 0.2kg more).

I will likely start it next week, or the week after.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:08 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
The Meteor came. The first thing I noticed was that one elevator rod is bent incorrectly. Not sure what I will do, may just go to dual servos for the elevator. It's bent out so much that the vertical fin won't go into place
Its gonna be impossible to bend it without removing it. Do the plastic retainers come off rather easily?

Last edited by jrjr; Dec 03, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:39 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
800 Posts
Adjust clevis "1" shorter or clevis "2" longer to match servos center

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:45 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
Adjust clevis "1" shorter or clevis "2" longer to match servos center

Rob
Not possible and adjustment is not the issue. The linkage going to the elevator is bent at too extreme an angle to operate. It needs to be removed and bent. The vertical part won't allow the vertical fin to be installed. Notice... the arm is not in the channel it is bent outward. Started a ticket at Grayson.

Also notice, that little nub of foam just aft of the arms is smushed. (technical term)
Clearly shows a lack of QC
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
800 Posts
I don't remember if it was in my Meteor (2 yrs old in Jan), but I did pull out Dynam plastic parts from foam.
Wiggle them out, adjust rods, reglue it and fly the snot out of it.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,899 Posts
I am sure I bent mine in situ. I had to adjust them to make them perfectly identical.
But I don't recall what I did...probably braced/held one side with pointy nosed pliers I would think.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Finally starting my build. How reliable are these Datrum servos? I was thinking about replacing the elevator servo with a metal gear. Took the screws out of both and man they are really stuck in there.... are they glued too?

Will be looking for an edf unit too
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,899 Posts
I have several Dynam PNFs and none have had any servo issue yet. They seem to be good servos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:06 PM
It's watts for dinner
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
945 Posts
Ditto what Peter said. I've been flying mine with a 5S setup for months and the servos hold up just fine. That being said, I have always also been tempted to replace the elevator servo with a good MG... though I haven't yet suffered any ill effects from not having done so.
sjw985 is offline Find More Posts by sjw985
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,291 Posts
Hey guys, its been a while since I posted in here, so this is my update:

After many months of my Meteor sitting grounded after I burned up the second stock motor and fan on 5S. I purchased the Tacon 2860 2550kv inrunner, eflite fan, and moved up to the Dynam 80A esc. I had to do a little bit of foam trimming to get that eflite fan to fit. That Tacon motor is big, and also heavier - so had to move the battery forward. Its flying pretty good on 5S, maybe a little faster than stock on 5S, but it doesn't seem like a massive jump in speed. No measurements taken though. The motor is specd to 1300 watts, 5 cells, and max 23 volts. The 23 volts puts it in 6S territory - and several reviews claim success with 6S. I haven't tried it not sure if I will bother, even though I have 6S-3000 lipos that should fit from my Trex 500. I feel confident this motor won't burn up (on 5S anyway) like the stockers did on me twice.

A recent landing wasn't so great and I damaged one of the main landing gear mounts. Solution: just get rid of the landing gear altogether. I pulled all three gear plus the nose steering servo: that saved 50 grams of weight plus the drag. I've got just a few flights in so far without gear but I like it - looks cool and picked up a little bit of speed. The drawbacks are that I need a friend to hand launch for me (not really a problem since I fly at a club field and plenty of 'assistants' around, so no need to risk a solo hand launch) and that I have to walk across the field to retrieve it after a belly landing - no taxiing. I'll have to work on the belly landings to place it near my feet. Belly landings work for me at the grass club strip - not sure retracts would work so well in that grass. The only retracts I typically see at that club field are on big turbine jets.
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
It's watts for dinner
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
945 Posts
Arcturus,

I assume you're aware, but just in case you want to go back to the grear - Grayson Hobby carries spares for the Meteor. The plastic parts set (includes the mounts) and replacement gear are really cheap. I botched a landing a couple weeks ago and it took about 10 minutes to swap out all the nose and main gear mounts and hardware.
sjw985 is offline Find More Posts by sjw985
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:33 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw985 View Post
Arcturus,

I assume you're aware, but just in case you want to go back to the grear - Grayson Hobby carries spares for the Meteor. The plastic parts set (includes the mounts) and replacement gear are really cheap. I botched a landing a couple weeks ago and it took about 10 minutes to swap out all the nose and main gear mounts and hardware.
Thanks for the tip, might do that to have pavement landing capability in reserve. So far I like the sleek look in the air of no gear - the hand launch and belly landing leave something to be desired though.
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
Hey guys, its been a while since I posted in here, so this is my update:

After many months of my Meteor sitting grounded after I burned up the second stock motor and fan on 5S. I purchased the Tacon 2860 2550kv inrunner, eflite fan, and moved up to the Dynam 80A esc. .
what kind of amp draw are you seeing with that motor? its a shame you have had 2 stock motors fail on you, mine is about 2 years old now and still on the original motor and esc, running 5 cells ( 58amps drawing at full throttle on ground). clocked it the other day and still hit 101 mph, so power system seems to be holding up great. I've been very happy with Dynams 3000kv stock motor and even use it in several other 70mm edfs now. Once of these days i need to try my NIB sapac MB-1 in it though.

BTW, I would reccomend a MG90S servo for the elevator servo, makes it fun and worry free yanking the sticks back at full throttle. I enjoy making near 90* turns from level flight to vertical, going high up and floating around.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Last edited by smasher41; Dec 19, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,899 Posts
Arcturus, did you use the 2550kv in the stock fan??
If so, that would be lack lustre.
Change to a CS10 or 12 and that is a high power setup for 5S.
On a lower blade count fan - eg stock - you would need 6S.

Check history of the thread on fitting retracts, it is cheap and easy. So you get the great looks in flight, and at least landing on grass is fine.
RCG Plus Member