HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:39 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
Peter, Funny you should mention the Tacon motor as that is one of the motors I was looking at. Still tossing up what direction I want to go though.

Gary, I will hit you up as soon as I figure out where I want to go with the power system. As far as Vegas I do plan on attending. I renewed my AMA while at FresnoJet's last weekend. Plus with the new job funds shouldn't be an issue. Need to look up the dates to plan it out.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,911 Posts
Glad you can make it Jay. Haven't seen ya in a while.
Here's the date's for Vegas........Oct. 12, 13, 14

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1526978

I have a few CS 70 units. (not on the website) You could always ship me the (NIB) motor of your choice.

See ya soon.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
Gary, I just got done browsing your site and will give you a call on friday or saturday (I on-road race R/C friday night). I have an idea where I want to go.

Will be sure to fill you all in once I get the setup and have a chance to test and video it. Its a bit unconventional but have seen it used in other planes here locally with great success.

Jason
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,677 Posts
What's the max watts the stock motor can handle? I tried searching this thread, but couldn't find posts measuring watts (I estimate between 600 and 800).

I'm trying to use the motor + fan in a different jet since my Meteor had a brownout and crashed.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:08 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
With 5S on the stock motor/fan/ESC it is around 900W (even 1000W) and runs long term. So that is ok.

Kakofonixx, at 3000kv it will be approaching a 'high power' 4S setup. probably 1000W area.
It is actually quite a good motor, but its size shows it is not truly up to that.... not for long term anyway! Plus notably over 60A (prob about 65A area).... which is over the stock ESC rating.
So you would at least need to upgrade the ESC... then find out how long the motor lasts.... HEHE
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Gary, I just got done browsing your site and will give you a call on friday or saturday (I on-road race R/C friday night). I have an idea where I want to go.

Will be sure to fill you all in once I get the setup and have a chance to test and video it. Its a bit unconventional but have seen it used in other planes here locally with great success.

Jason
Sounds good Jay.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:32 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Kakofonixx, at 3000kv it will be approaching a 'high power' 4S setup. probably 1000W area.
It is actually quite a good motor, but its size shows it is not truly up to that.... not for long term anyway! Plus notably over 60A (prob about 65A area).... which is over the stock ESC rating.
So you would at least need to upgrade the ESC... then find out how long the motor lasts.... HEHE
thanks Peter
I'll bench test the setup as soon as it arrives and post the results in this topic
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
I just ran, and fried, a 3200kv 4S CS10 test.
63A 800W 1.01Kg Thrust (Not good thrust for the power, probably because the motor was way over-stressed).
It was just a cheapie 2836-3200kv, so a decent motor would of done it fine of course. But it is a clue as to the Amps area. 63A.... and a 'better' motor of that KV area would probably do a bit better power, and thus Amps too.
Drop back to 3000kv..... and you drop a bit in power/Amps... so let's say back to 60A. The Dynam motor is OK, but I don't think it would like 60A ongoing!
From my uses of them their motor is a little bit better than the 2836 I was testing, though really they are very similar weight/build.

So I think the Dynam 3000kv Meteor motor would be borderline in a CS10. It would not fry in 2 minutes like the 2836 did (!!), but I wouldn't expect it to last too many flights. Of course depending on how much WOT time you use.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
Peter, Based on my experience with the stock motor, I would say it should handle 60A all day long on 4S. I mean it took 5S at around 60A for over 2 years. So with a lower voltage it should handle the extra amps fairly well I would imagine.

Jason
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
I guess time would tell. I ran mine on 5S for ages, and WOT was about 55A, but it started getting noisy bearings. It still ran fine.
You have Amp 'limits', which wires run hotter and 'dislike' - shellac probably charring etc.
Then you have Watts (still Amp related) but in these terms physical POWER, which means bearing loads, overall heat (eg 60A 4S is less than 60A 5S).
So 5S versus 4S, both at 60Amps, is quite a big difference in those above factors. So lifespan will be notably lower.

It is not a very 'big' motor really. I call it "Medium". Not quite a cheapie... certainly no CyclonePower, which are only rated for 50A area. Certainly no HET, which are rated more for 60A area.
So it is more of a "40A area motor", that is being used to the 50's when bumped to 5S. And head to 60's and you are asking for more trouble.... sooner.... LOL.

Thus 3000kv in a CS10..... I don't think it would last too long. hehe
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:10 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
bla bla bla bla....
Thus 3000kv in a CS10..... I don't think it would last too long. hehe
I hate you Peter
lol!!
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Well if you have nothing else to use it in then you don't have too much to lose.

I test ran L2855-2100kv's on 6S for my Su-35 (pre-flying) and they ran quite a long time. But one went up in smoke on the second flight it had.... and there was a crash, because of my pathetic landing effort then - not the motors fault, but would not have happened oif the motor didnt fry.

Then the 2836-3200kv I tested in a CS10 on 3S... 50Amps.... "hmm that was ok, let's try 4S".... 62A..... smoke.... "ooops"..... not much warning at all. 1 minute and then smoke.

So that 3000kv's lifespan will be up to how it is run. for eg, Short WOT and mainly 75%... or long WOT runs.... or having some CS10 airflow restriction (backpressure of the Meteor?) makes it run a bit weaker, and thus Amps are lower.
Just throw it in and test it statically - for Thrust, Amps/Watts and Temps. Just WOT it for THIRTY seconds and get to check its temp. It is not cut and dried that it will fry.... just looking likely! lol

Another example... if that was used in a Durafly Vampire, which has a lot of airflow restriction, it will not be able to run at its full potential anyway. So an L2855-2300kv 5S setup, which does 54A in a Meteor, only does 44A in the Vampire (because of that airflow restriction).
So if that Dynam 3000kv motor was used with the same combo in a Vampire it would have a much more likely survival ability.
That is probably a better use for the motor - 4S CS10 in a Vampire..... so if you want another great jet, grab a Vampire ARF (not the PNF!!), and use the motor in that with a CS10.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:09 PM
DITCH DAWG
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
Too all who worry about five cells on stock motors

I have being flying two years on five cell 3000s,one 286 no problem, the last flight was due to a low (too low) high speed pass. Have lost one speed control due to landing in water. I have now went to the dynam 3500kv motor for the me 626 and it moves like a six cell on the five with the same run time. Fifteen flights no problems
dennymac is offline Find More Posts by dennymac
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:18 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymac View Post
I have being flying two years on five cell 3000s,one 286 no problem, the last flight was due to a low (too low) high speed pass. Have lost one speed control due to landing in water. I have now went to the dynam 3500kv motor for the me 626 and it moves like a six cell on the five with the same run time. Fifteen flights no problems
I'm now up to flight #27 on the stock setup with 5S. It's the only way to go
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Certainly 5S on the stock setup is far better than the 4S, and it works fine...... for X amount of time. Some people for less than others. I didn't count mine, but it was still running fine enough when I changed to a CS10, but the motor bearing was noisy.

If you switch to a CS10/L2855-2300kv combo, you can run the rest of the plane the same (ESC, battery), but it will lose a LITTLE bit of speed... but wait until you HEAR it!
You will never want to hear the 'leaf blower' sound again!! It turns the Meteor into a real 'jet' then. Its shape/ducting etc all lend themselves nicely to a great sound total, once the leaf blower racket is removed!
So I don't think stock on 5S is 'the only way to go' - but it is definitely the first thing to do!
But going high blade count fan is the true 'only way to go' on all jet and fan sizes!! (70mm CS10, 90mm CS12)
RCG Plus Member