HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
I have a few of those "Mini's". They are great fun.
The P-51, F-35, Mig-15, T-45

You will generally get a zone, or two, of vibration and 'out of balance noise' with EDF's as you move up through the RPM range - if they are not balanced very well.... and most PNF's are not!
For these ones, the fans are hot glued in - or something like that - and you can just pull them out with 'careful' force. A suggestion I heard the other day was heat them with a hair-dryer first - to loosen the glue first. I have not tried that, but its sounds like it would help/work at least some amount at worst.
When I put them back in, if the cover clamps it well enough, then that is enough. Otherwise use a dab of hot glue, or silicone (eg glass or gutter stuff), or even a dab of CA. The foam is moulded to 'hold' them, sort of, and the cover clamps them some amount too, so that does the main holding work.

Because it is a "weeny 50mm", on those you can just rotate the fan on the shaft, rather than pull it all apart (you could do it properly if you wanted to) - it is a threaded shaft so you can do it up a bit "tighter" and it will then be in a different position compared to the motor. And this can get you to a nicer balance point - less vibration/noise.
This is because the motor itself will likely be a bit out of balance, and thus when you rotate the fan around a bit, you can 'improve' the opposing balances and end up in a nicer total balance position.

My T-45 was atrocious. The other three were all acceptable. But once I still did the rotation on them all they were all really good then - bar the T-45 which became acceptable, but still not rght. Though it flies fine... it just sounds terrible! LOL

If you have decent ground to take-off from then use the landing gear at first. Once you get used to it you will really want the landing gear off, as it looks far better, and the LG is not that great for landing anyway. (If that one even has it?).
They all seem to fly very well - very easy - bar the F-35 which has such a short winspan that is it very unstable in roll - in all directions really! LOL. But yours should be easy. Even easy to handlaunch - just underarm 'push' it out with a good pace, at some lowish angle (25deg?) and they fly away fine.... according to your control surface setup, and your own TX control or 'panic', LOL.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Aug 15, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2010
1,858 Posts
Yes, mine does not come with LG...I will probably fly it as is first... my concern is set screws for control surfaces vibrating loose....I will use red lock tight before i maiden...I have blue angels sceme very cool looking bird and will put a couple of coats of polyurethane on plane...thanks Pete! Happy flying
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
Use blue loctite, or at most the green. Red is very strong and almost permanent.
Also check the control horns are well stuck to the foam. I often run a bit of epoxy onto their edges.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined May 2010
1,858 Posts
I removed paint where horn goes and all surfaces that are glued..used locktite 5 min epoxy..i used expoxy for everything on this plane..it seems to be very solid bond...thanks
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I can CRA$H that!
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Dynam Meteor flight IFR conditions

Dynam Meteor Flight IFR conditions (3 min 52 sec)
thndr1mj is offline Find More Posts by thndr1mj
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:23 AM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
is the airframe only still available anywhere?
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
is the airframe only still available anywhere?
I don't think so... I was searching for a bare meteor or habu frame couple of months ago but was out of stock everywhere I looked
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:28 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
i you find it, post the link here a lot of us could use a new airframe
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I can CRA$H that!
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Dynam Meteor Crash

Dynam Meteor Crash (5 min 7 sec)
thndr1mj is offline Find More Posts by thndr1mj
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Well after many years of hard service my stock motor/fan unit died at Fresno Jets jet rally today. Luckily I was coming in for a speed run for altitude when I noticed it was a bit quiet. Had enough time to drop the gear and set her down safely. So now its time to find a suitable hop-up replacement.

jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:16 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
well fresno jay,
it seems like you have a dilemma, do you want more speed? or the same speed with that sweet turbine whoosh? or do you want to go ballistic? let us know what set up you choose and why....and post some pics and video if possible. i just picked up a stock Habu at the NEAT fair last weekend for $75 so i'll be watching. i think for me, 4cells and a 10 blade Change Sun fan may be the way i'll go.... i figure 90 mph top end but it won't have that annoying e.d.f. whine, it will have that sweet turbine whoosh!
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:01 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
iflyrc,
I just so happen to have a CS10 sitting in my hobby room along with the stock Meteor rotor that was undamaged. I have numerous orphaned housings and rotors as well. Have been looking at various motors as i do want to continue to use the 5S packs I already have on hand and have been using in the plane. I also would like to continue using the stock ESC as it has done well considering how it has been abused.

For the CS10 I am looking at 2500Kv motors to run on 5S. But its a matter of whether the esc will be big enough for the task. I think I have a 80A about the same size laying around somewhere so if needed shouldn't be too big a deal to swap it.

But then again I have also been looking at 2800-3000Kv options to use the stock rotor on to also continue using 5S.

Lots going on behind the scenes, trust me. Once a choice is made and flights flown there will be info and video posted .

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
5S CS10 2300kv is a bit down on stock 5S result. Above approx 2300kv you would not use the stock ESC (60A).
I would expect 2400kv would match stock 5S thrust, and 2500kv would exceed it. The CyclonePower 2550kv hits very high 60's.

If you want just 'good speed' the L2855-2300kv means just $13 and copes long term fine.
'Better speed'... Cyclone Power 2550KV ($45).... but need the ESC done too. So you are heading to $70+ for that.

I would like this Tacon better than CyclonePower..... need a heatsink too then. $5, so still $45 total
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m821-2860-2550kv.html

At 2550kv CS10 5S you could use a throttle limit to cut off a bit of top end. (Or switch mix it to re-add it as a 'boost' mode).

Then for 'very good power' you would head to 6S and 2200kv .... HET2W30.... Amps into 60's and 1200W regions. ($75 motor $5 HS and bigger ESC...... $100+ total). And .. batteries....
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:30 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Well after many years of hard service my stock motor/fan unit died at Fresno Jets jet rally today. Luckily I was coming in for a speed run for altitude when I noticed it was a bit quiet. Had enough time to drop the gear and set her down safely. So now its time to find a suitable hop-up replacement.

jason
Hey Jay

Call or email me concerning how much you want to hop it up. If your looking for killer speed the HET 1W-40 at 3300 kv should be a rocket on 6s. I'm sure you can get 6s in there, as a local guy flies his foamy Habu 1 (close enough) on 6s 4000 and 6s 5000 packs. of course you'll need a good 100+A ESC
We have milder 4s and 5s setups as well. a 3600-3700kv motor on 4s will pull about 65-70A
The HET and Wemo fans are the best for high power at a resonable cost.
The CS rotor will blow at 46k rpm (or about 1400w)
Buy a cheap motor, and you'll be buying another one soon.

I suppose it's whether you want it sound like a jet, or fly like one.

Hope to see ya at The Ace in the Hole event (Vegas) in Oct.
We are hoping to debut the new all composite 70mm F-20 there. It should do about 120-130.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Sep 18, 2012 at 03:58 AM. Reason: added text
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:17 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
164 Posts
just ordered a CS10 fan for my Meteor
everything else is stock... anyone know how much Amp draw to expect on 4S?
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx