SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:31 PM
I like Fast Warbirds
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
The HobbyKing one is a Wemo Mk1 ripoff (I have read). $12 approx.
But no thrust tube.
I don't think Wemo's come with them by default either. They are an option and cost more.
Mind you a Wemo itself also costs $50 approx - but is dynamically balanced as it comes.
Here's the official WM fans:

http://www.effluxrc.com/Velocity-RC_c9.htm
Webmaister is offline Find More Posts by Webmaister
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
Oh, I meant Wemo Minifan Pro
Don't know why the Wm300 is so much cheaper. Wemo's older technology I guess.
I didn't think they even have them anymore.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:26 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Well I am super bummed.

I ordered a Meteor on the 14th from Grayson and was looking forward to it arriving today so I could work on it this weekend. The only time I really for this stuff is the weekend. So I get notified that UPS delivered it and I run down to check the front door only to find a very small box. The box was from Grayson alright but they shipped me a 70mm FAN....not the plane. I checked the packing slip and invoice and sure enough it listed the Meteor Sport Jet PNP....it also showed signatures from the person who pulled it and one from the boxer. How could two people get that wrong? Anyhow I opened a ticket to resolve it.

I was so looking forward to building it and flying it this weekend.
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
Hmmm, a weird error. It is not much fun expecting something and not getting it.... or when you would like it.
I haven't had an 'error' ever sent, but have had delays in things ever getting here for various reasons, from slow post... to supplier delays or ineptness, LOL...

But I have enough things to do here for about... hmmm.... one year, LOL. So if I am disappointed about a new item/toy being delayed, I have plenty others to press on with. hehe

I will head off shortly to test-fly the first repainted Meteor. Which should fly exactly like it always has I guess. It will probably even still crash in much the same manner as it occassionally has! Just a lot more colourful now!

Then after this re-fly on its 5S L2855-2300kv CS10, it will get the power upgrade - which I still can't work out the exact combo of stuff I have here that I will use for that. It pretty well has to go to 6S to move any useful/decent amount upwards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
Hmmmm, flight went just as per normal and expected. But it was FAST!
Faster than I remember. And much more wind noise/whistling to it. All in all it sounded better than ever, and seemed to fly faster than ever.
I totally forgot I had my GPS logger with me, or I could have thrown that in for some tests. DOH.
I think the sanding off all the mould release marks (those mutli-spiked mini foam circles), and the much smoother painted finish now, might have added up to having less drag - to some notable degree. Plus maybe altered the sound of the air over, and through, it.
If I get to take it out again tomorrow I will GPS it. It seemed a lot faster... possibly towards 20kph faster. At least an amount that stood out as notable.

The way it went I don't need to change up the fan system! 5S is a nice 'mid' power setup and I have 5 batteries for it, so it is fine to stick with that for now.
The second Meteor can get the upgraded power system instead.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, FL, Apopka
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFastEnuf View Post
Link http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...F32#quickSpecs

I have not gps logged it but what do you expect with 5.4 lbs thrust in a 2.5 lb airplane. Lol. It's all about the thrust tube exit diameter from there. Just keep in mind you will have to dremel out a little foam! I will try something like rc speedo this weekend if I can. Trust me boys.... This set up rocks!!!!! Hope your field is big enough cause it will eat the sky fast. I fly at rcacf if anyone is close by and wants to grab the sticks!

Can anyone here do one of those doppler calculations if i post video?
I downloaded the trial of rcspeedo today ... 112 down the runway flat and level flight and into a cross/head wind. I am sure this set up will push harder with some more work to the thrust tube ... But I just shoved in the fan and glued the wings on. Will have to use the ground to open it up again some day!!
NotFastEnuf is offline Find More Posts by NotFastEnuf
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:20 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
Today, in a rush to get on the flight line and fly, i put a dead battery in my Meteor........
it had just enough juice to get me airborne and in trouble.it's not a total loss but i damaged
the leading edges of both wings while using a tree as an arresting gear wire. it will fly again, but
not for a week or two at least......the nose wheel panel came loose also, along with the magnets holding down the canopy and one of the landing gear bent back pretty bad... Anybody know what is the best glue to use on this foam??
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:10 PM
speeddemon
United States, TX, Whitesboro
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
So has any one done a thrust reduction? if so how much did you reduce the diameter by?
tofast4u is offline Find More Posts by tofast4u
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
I use epoxy for all foams. So far it seems the best to me.
I have some Gorilla Glue but have not tried it yet. That is also supposed to be good. I am reserving its use for a time I need some "filling" properties, seeing it expands notably if you add a bit of water. But I just have not had a need to sue it so far.

CA is junk.... for ANY use. That has to be the worst invention ever - except for use on skin, like it was truly designed for! LOL
My recommendation is NEVER USE CA.... for anything. hehe. Well, not anything that you want to last properly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
The stock Meteor flies fantastic when upgraded to run on 5S. So that increase in thrust/flow seems very well suited to the stock exhaust ducting still. That doesn't mean it couldn't go a bit faster if narrowed down, but seeing it runs so well it is bound to be near optimal already.
So any higher power system is unlikely to need narrowing down either.
I would think a thrust tube - which will give benefits in its nice shape and smoothness - just run out to the stock exhaust size anyway, would be fine.

If you make it "taped up" (which most cases people do) you can do varied exit size static thrust tests, or even flight tests, easily too.
I guess I should try a thrust tube in mine, but it has been so good anyway I just have not bothered. I am not after a top speed... but I like fast jets!!! LOL. And it is fast already!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:16 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
636 Posts
Quote:
thrust reduction
Agree, too much thrust and you might loose the wings

Talking about thrust tube though, as already pointed out by prolific Peter () the FSA is fine. I remember about 57mm which is about 80% and a good compromise for a 70mm fan.
As pointed out by Peter, a clean polished exhaust will help the flow, remove the dimples and coat the inside with a glossy paint and you're done!
DeeCee 57 is offline Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
speeddemon
United States, TX, Whitesboro
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Anyone think putting a 4s 65c dicharge battery in the plane with stock motor and hobbywing 100amp esc will burn the motor up?
tofast4u is offline Find More Posts by tofast4u
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
why would a better 4 cell battery burn up this motor? a higher c rating shouldn't do anything but improve performance. if you were upping the voltage to 5 or 6 cells then maybe the motor would burn out, but that e.s.c. should be more than enough to handle the amps 4 cells can dish out.
run it up an a wattmeter first, just to be sure....

by the way, my Meteor is repaired, and ready to fly again... if the weather is good i'm going flying next Saturday. i used a glue called Shoo-goo for the first time, and it works great. it is very strong,more flexible than 5 minute epoxy,doesn't run and dries clear.i haven't tried it on the foam yet, but i think it won't melt it... I've been using the white gorilla glue on this foam with good results. Both of these glues take a few hours to cure, that's the only drawback I've found using them. i don't like using instant ca and kicker because the bonds don't hold up well, after a few weeks the ca glue fails. i've also used 5 minute epoxy and hot melt glue on this model, both of those work well but the hot melt isn't very strong, i only used it to attach the clear windshield to the canopy and to seat to wing to the fuse.
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Last edited by iflyrc1012; Jul 29, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,273 Posts
'White glue', like PVA or that white Gorilla, are good on ESP but not on EPO.
EPO is tricky becuse of its high oil content and thus 'oiliness' of it right through - on the surface that matters to us when gluing.
Epoxy seems to work the best - though nothing truly bonds properly to it.
The other PolyUrethane (PU) Gorilla Glue seems ok too. Shoo-goo could be a PU glue I think.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
141 Posts
Video from yesterday's re-maiden. Got a couple of quick passes in @ 3:00 & 3:30 after some trimming.
Cool Runninz 2.0 Maiden (5 min 2 sec)
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin