HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, FL, Apopka
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
May I suggest the stock 80mm eflight. I really didn't have to remove much to get it in there. It is about the same od as the edge of the stock lip so it fits in nice with the lip off. I did very little to the transition after the fan and this thing still screams. Disgusting unlimited vertical. I launch it straight up sometimes by just letting go of the nose. Probably close to 140 in level flight and floats like stock with a 6s 2650 pack. Using a 70a detrum esc. This is by far my favorite plane and I never leave it behind!!

By the way ... Sick paint!!!!!!!
NotFastEnuf is offline Find More Posts by NotFastEnuf
Last edited by NotFastEnuf; Jul 15, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:44 AM
I like Fast Warbirds
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFastEnuf View Post
May I suggest the stock 80mm eflight. I really didn't have to remove much to get it in there. It is about the same od as the edge of the stock lip so it fits in nice with the lip off. I did very little to the transition after the fan and this thing still screams. Disgusting unlimited vertical. I launch it straight up sometimes by just letting go of the nose. Probably close to 140 in level flight and floats like stock with a 6s 2650 pack. Using a 70a detrum esc. This is by far my favorite plane and I never leave it behind!!

By the way ... Sick paint!!!!!!!
Can you point to the motor and fan product listings somewhere? Have you officially clocked it with radar or a GPS logger like a Voltron?
Webmaister is offline Find More Posts by Webmaister
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
United States, FL, Apopka
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Link http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...F32#quickSpecs

I have not gps logged it but what do you expect with 5.4 lbs thrust in a 2.5 lb airplane. Lol. It's all about the thrust tube exit diameter from there. Just keep in mind you will have to dremel out a little foam! I will try something like rc speedo this weekend if I can. Trust me boys.... This set up rocks!!!!! Hope your field is big enough cause it will eat the sky fast. I fly at rcacf if anyone is close by and wants to grab the sticks!

Can anyone here do one of those doppler calculations if i post video?
NotFastEnuf is offline Find More Posts by NotFastEnuf
Last edited by NotFastEnuf; Jul 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
I like Fast Warbirds
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Maiden flight of the Grayson Retract Mod Meteor

Had a nice maiden with the Meteor with the Grayson Retracts mod. On the second flight though the Esc shut down right after take off. Made it safely back down. Looks like a thermal shutdown because it runs fine now after cooling off. It was hot out yesterday and I'm hoping that's what the problem was. I have an Castle Ice 100 as the esc. Need to get the dongle so I can download the data. The meteor is awesome with the gear up.

HD Maiden Video

Grayson Mod Dynam Meteor with Retracts and Struts (1 min 44 sec)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
speeddemon
United States, TX, Whitesboro
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Any suggestions about the HK 10 blade 70mm fan with the turnigy 2300kv? is it good with 4 cells? i know it could handle 5s's but not sure what power and thrust range i would be looking at with a 4s
tofast4u is offline Find More Posts by tofast4u
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:00 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
That 2300kv CS10 will be weak on 4S. Much worse than the stock fan combo on 4S.
On 5S it is a bit weaker than the stock fan combo on 5S.
For 4S you need the 2800kv, but even that is weak compared to stock 5S.

2300kv 5S CS10 1.45Kg bench
2800kv 4S CS10 1.25Kg bench
In-plane heading towards 0.2Kg loss.

At the moment I have the L2855-2300kv CS10 on 5S and it is 'good'. That bit slower than stock 5S, but sounds better. But I am working out a 0.2Kg to 0.4Kg better combo.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
speeddemon
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
yea i really want to get it due to the turbine like sound, but also wanting more speed out of my meteor. any suggestion on a motor fan combo that will like 4s and 5s and get more thrust atleast?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
CS10's are 'heavier' loads, for the same thrust, compared to more common 5 & 6 blade fan units. So you need a heftier motor to drive them properly.
That means an Inrunner, and 28mm with a can (true can spec that is!) of 60mm. 45mm and 50mm will be under excess duress - unless you use lower KV and thus a lower thrust result.
So you are heading to the "better" motor areas, and a lot more cost for them too! But they will do the job properly, and last doing it too!! So it is actually worthwhile.

You need "Watts" to get thrust and CS10's eat more watts than 5-6bladers, for that same thrust result. You need approx 900W for 1.4Kg bench, which will then be about 1.2Kg in-plane
1200W for 1.8Kg bench and then, hmmm, unknown by me yet, X loss in-plane. Probably 1.5Kg in-plan I expect.

My Lander 5 blade does 2.0Kg thrust on just 52A 6S = 1150W (ongoing thrust not short initial peak)
You would need 1300W+ for a CS10 to match that. (approx)

How you get the X Watts can be any Cell count... less cells, more Amps needed.
Higher cell counts are more efficient, so you wouldn't really want to set up for 1200W from 5S. (or 4S!). You would go to 6S for 1200W aims (54A area then). For 5S... up to 1000W sort of area (55A then). 4S more in the 800W area (54A area).
Running to higher Amps means you need higher C batteries, so costs rise more too. And a bigger ESC etc.

Combo 1: 6S CS10 with HET 2W30 (2200kv) 1.9Kg bench for 56A
Combo 2: 5S CS10 with HET 2W30 (2200kv) 1.4Kg bench for 48A

The L2855-2300kv will match the second combo, but at higher Amps as it is a weaker motor running under duress. eg 54A or so. It won't last as long, but it does OK really... fr $12 !!!
So I would recommend that combo, purely on price... not on its true technical merit. And you are wasting Amps = wasting flight time, stressing batteries more, for that 'cheaper' cost.

I have a HEAP of 70mm combos sitting around (10 or so), and two Meteors, and the first change-up will be to use the Lander unit on 6S (2.0Kg thrust for 52A). Purely because it is more power per Watts, and sounds pretty good. Not CS10, but more towards that than the stock fan. I guess it would run somewhat OK on 5S too.
For HET, it would be better to have a 2400kv for 5S, which would move Amps to the 55A area and thrust to 1.6Kg or so I would expect, but they don't have that KV.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
speeddemon
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
well im thinking about using the stock motor with a 5s 65c-130c battery with a 100amp turnigy ESC
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
In a CS10?
It will last, umm, about 5 minutes. LOL.

I have tested the L2855-2800 kv on 5S and it eats Amps (forget but near 70A) and hardly gets more thrust than the 2300kv. That is because it can't drive the load o the CS10.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:03 PM
speeddemon
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
sorry sorry lol i meant my stock fan and 3000kv motor haha
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:05 PM
speeddemon
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
what about the 70mm speed fan? with 3 blades! less blades less torque needed to turn right? makes sense possibly meaning more power but having less blades im not sure what would be effected..
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
I have one of those HobbyKing 3 blade fans... it is a pusher isn't it?
It is not just the blade count that matters, but also the area, the profile/shape (aggressiveness etc). But generally lower blade count are designed to run higher RPM.
I won't get great sound because that is tied in with blade area and the tips - which a CS10 has a lot of "small" ones. But if the RPM it runs at is high enough it can head more towards 'better' sound.
I have never used mine.... (annoyed when I found it was a pusher).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:50 AM
I like Fast Warbirds
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I have one of those HobbyKing 3 blade fans... it is a pusher isn't it?
It is not just the blade count that matters, but also the area, the profile/shape (aggressiveness etc). But generally lower blade count are designed to run higher RPM.
I won't get great sound because that is tied in with blade area and the tips - which a CS10 has a lot of "small" ones. But if the RPM it runs at is high enough it can head more towards 'better' sound.
I have never used mine.... (annoyed when I found it was a pusher).
The Velocity-rc WM400 MKII is a good 3 blade pusher fan. The pusher fans are different but the pus side is that the motor and wires are on the front side providing a cleaner and less turbulent exit flow especially with the exit cone that comes with it.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
The HobbyKing one is a Wemo Mk1 ripoff (I have read). $12 approx.
But no thrust tube.
I don't think Wemo's come with them by default either. They are an option and cost more.
Mind you a Wemo itself also costs $50 approx - but is dynamically balanced as it comes.
RCG Plus Member