HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,025 Posts
I forget if we put those on, or they come fitted?
It is not ideal to not be straight... by how much there?.... but I would expect it will only be a very small amount and thus will hardly bother it.

That reminds me of the TV units I bought for the Meteors (a pair)..... but have been under-enthused about bothering to put them on really. It needs a reasonable effort to do it all.
Maybe one day.....
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
163 Posts
that's a nice looking airplane Peter!
oh and thumbs up on your power plant collection
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:02 PM
speeddemon
United States, TX, Whitesboro
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Maidened it and just my luck after i took it down to replace the battery the ESC programming i think got messed up?! When i put the new battery in i went full power but instead the motor sputtered and kept starting and stopping and i dont know whats going on. I reprogrammed it and nothings working, so i put in my old 45amp ESC and it works fine? so i sent Grayson hobby a ticket, im hoping i will get a new esc because that one was deffective im sure, because im using the correct battery and everything.. but im hoping for now i can use the 45amp until i get a new 60amp.. this sucks. But maiden flight was amazing, flew just like you guys said it would ballenced and just flew straight and true
tofast4u is offline Find More Posts by tofast4u
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:30 PM
I like Fast Warbirds
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Forgot to post my repaint pics....
IAF (Israeli Air Force). A bit overly bright colours, versus the real aircraft more washed out. WBPU, even though satin, shined it all up a bit more. I just call it "A brand new IAF F-9 Meteor" (or would rather it be an F-5 really).
I haven't had time to make up and print out the finer detail decals. And I need to buy some tranparent backed numbers for the IDs etc.
And I didn't want to take off the canopy, again, to get in and paint the cockpit better.... damn. The new Meteor will get done properly....
Great job on the paint Peter. Looks awesome
Webmaister is offline Find More Posts by Webmaister
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:01 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakofonixx View Post
that's a nice looking airplane Peter!
oh and thumbs up on your power plant collection
+1 on both!

You just inspired me to buy an airbrush.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,025 Posts
Paintjobs sure do (or can) transform a plane! The Meteor as it comes is pretty plain Jane, though not a bad sports jet scheme. It just looks very boring up closer - like a cheap foam plane, LOL.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:39 PM
Winston Hills, Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
170 Posts
Nice paint job Peter.
Mine is in the hanger about to get retracts installed,going to
just copy what you did.

Paul
pauljohnston is offline Find More Posts by pauljohnston
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:13 PM
I like Fast Warbirds
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
+1 on both!

You just inspired me to buy an airbrush.
What's a good air brush to buy?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:50 PM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaister View Post
I like Iwata brushes..
http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Ec.../dp/B000R3C3SM
Purple Pashin is online now Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,025 Posts
$100, phew...
Hobbyking has some good enough (?) cheap airbrushes for $10 and $20
I got a few but in the end I just use a hand brush anyway (for acrylics), as it is less mess and cleaning. Otherwise spray can for enamels, because that is easier and quicker too.
The underneath of this Meteor is spray can grey enamel.

I lightly sand the entire plane, and use spray can grey primer over the entire plane - mask off things you want protected of course. But this seems to need days to dry even just somewhat 'properly'. 3 days later (or more too) it can still be a bit soft and even tacky in some areas - not sure why, but it is winter here.... though I have it indoors and warm, on a wall, for those days.
Then I spray any enamel colours I might have wanted to use. eg underneath grey in this case.

Hand-brushing comes out surprisingly well, but spray is always a better finish. So for single colour surfaces, like a whole bottom, or top, or wing etc, I will generally use a spray can. For anywhere needing various colours (camo scheme etc) I will hand brush it.
One plus of hand brushing is how it will fill in 'micro pock marks', which foam often has, so you end up with a better 'filled out' finish than spray would do. Though I guess you really should/could sand and fill a plane first, before even priming it.
I do the patterns by hand, but I use wet newspaper for straight lines or if I do need masking. Just wet the paper, quite wet, and stick it on and it will be fine while you brush that edge/area and just pull it off right away after finishing that area - no need to leave it on like masking tape. I have not found any tape that is safe to use! Paint comes off foam too easily, with the slightest micron of force from tape etc..

Lastly I hand brush the whole plane in WBPU, which is effectively 'self levelling' and evens out even the hand brushed colours very well. Generally at least two coats, but often out to 4 coats. This is to lock down the paint - as nothing ever sticks 100% to EPO really - and also it is also a tough paint, so it gives some protection to the plane's paint and even to the foam a bit. Plus it evens out the total sheen to be the satin of the WBPU - which even Satin is a bit shiny, so I wouldn't use gloss ever.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:46 PM
I like Fast Warbirds
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Quote:
$100, phew...

Lastly I hand brush the whole plane in WBPU, which is effectively 'self levelling' and evens out even the hand brushed colours very well. Generally at least two coats, but often out to 4 coats. This is to lock down the paint - as nothing ever sticks 100% to EPO really - and also it is also a tough paint, so it gives some protection to the plane's paint and even to the foam a bit. Plus it evens out the total sheen to be the satin of the WBPU - which even Satin is a bit shiny, so I wouldn't use gloss ever.
What's WBPU? Good tip on the wet paper. That will solve the problem I had with the masking tape
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:17 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
521 Posts
Air brush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaister View Post
I read good reviews on the HK airbrushes. Good bang for the buck I'm told. I'm sure with my pi$$ poor artistic skills the brush will out perform me.

I've just ordered the dual rate one.

I'm surprised PerterVRC uses a brush. I thought an airbrush is needed for precision like that.

Any idea what cost effective paints are best used airbrushing a foam plane?
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,025 Posts
Water Based PolyUrethane
In the floor paint section. Rather than the oil based version.
In Australia, I use Cabothanes brand (the cheapest, LOL).

For paints... cheap enamel sprays ($3 to $4 area), which might tie in with their poor drying?? LOL
Sample Pots of acrylic, mixed to your choice of colour card = any colour you could want. $7 to $10 for 250ml or 500ml = TONS for model aircraft.

You can thin and spray acrylics too. Easy to wash in water also. (and bushes too)
Curves are extremely easy to do freehand. eg Camo. I use a 5mm brush for that, and larger (15mm approx) to fill in the rest.
And, as mentioned. use wet paper for any other straight lines or special shapes.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Jul 06, 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:22 AM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
$100, phew...
...well, he did say "good" airbrush...

I've been airbrushing for over 20 years, and did it professionally, so I'm a bit biased. The thing is, you want a nice dual action brush...single action is about the same as rattle can.

Here's a cheaper dual action Paasche..
http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-2000VL.../dp/B000BR2HLM
Purple Pashin is online now Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:22 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Jun 2009
163 Posts
just had an idea.......

I have two of these batteries:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8357
of course I know these are hard case car lipos, have the for my 1:10 buggy

I connected them in parallel to act as a 4S lipo
total weight with connectors is ~490gr
Is this a heavy load for meteor to carry (on 4S) and stock setup?
kakofonixx is offline Find More Posts by kakofonixx