HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erudited View Post
I've had my Meteor for a few weeks -- nothing but problems with assembly. First, I got a bum receiver and no battery charger. Now, with replacement receiver, it doesn't seem to want to communicate with the transmitter (RTF version). Since nitro is IMPOSSIBLE to reach for assistance, do I just need to by a separate transmitter and receiver? I hate to incur another expense. Also, this is my first assembly of a jet. For the life of me, I cannot figure out which servo connectors go where in the receiver. Either way, with a transmitter that would serve better as a door stop, I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

(It would be AWESOME if someone could post a video of assembly of this plane for us newbs.)
Well I am sure the stock receiver is not marked in any way. A specktrum receiver will show you which spot is elevator and aileron. If you plug them in backwards your radio will still make them move they just wont be moving to the correct stick movement. So just keep switching them around until you get them responding right. If your esc wire is plugged in wrong though it wont work at all. I would buy a used dx5e on here or something, would be way better
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 04:49 PM
Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2009
137 Posts
Meteor manual fun

I am sure everyone has their own favorite part of the “oh so useful” manual. My favorite is NOT #1 “Peace in the fuselage tail adhesive water” Hey, I am all for peace on earth and adhesive water - so no problem with that one.
Nor is it #3 “To insert the horizontal tail vertical tail slot” (hmmm...)
Nor #5 the famous “Blister on the tail to tail on” Not sure about the blister part – probably takes adhesive water to do something like that, but they used the word ‘tail’ 4 times in the course of two instructions – I’m pretty sure that’s because they known how to spell that particular word correctly, so heck, might as well show it off.
No, my all time favorite is #7 – that’s the one where they tell you not to bother fixing the fan (see pic)
Screw fixing the fan man, just go fly!!

Erudited – I feel your pain man – I remember my first few planes. Once you get a few more under your belt it all gets easier – and you get to know which tools to have handy for the build, that speeds up things (like a drill with a 1/16” at the ready to open up those control horn holes). Sorry I don’t have more specific advice, other than take your time, and if you use your own trans and rx read you transmitter manual carefully and it will call out the channel selections for you.
Test everything and don’t be afraid to adjust before you fly – this plane is not factory checked like a new car where you can just get in and drive. It has decent clevises (meaning they can be disconnected and reconnected more than once without breaking) so get your control surfaces where you want them before flight time and double check your cg before the big moment. Good luck and don’t give up – same time next year and you’ll be building a plane like this in 90 minutes.

Ps if you ever figure out how to ‘blister on the tail’ let me know
cbr998 is offline Find More Posts by cbr998
Old Jan 22, 2011, 04:53 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
where did you order it from? nitro? Grayson?
sorry, I should have stated I got it from nitroplanes.com in my original post.
Captain Ron is online now Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Finally got to Maiden mine today. I really love the way it handles but I need more speed!

I tried to make a thrust tube using poster board, but couldn't get the taper quite right and then I made it too big and had it all taped up and couldn't fit it into the jet so I just gave up.

Are the default timings on the ESC setup correctly out of the box? I plan on fiddling with it more tomorrow on the wattmeter and see what happens, but was wondering what ESC setting y'all are using.

To scratch my speed itch, should I bother to try and max out the stock motor and fan or should I go ahead and replace it with a higher kV setup? I know people are using 5S but I want to stick with the 4S 3300's I have already purchased.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
SoCal
Joined Nov 2007
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr998 View Post
I am sure everyone has their own favorite part of the “oh so useful” manual. My favorite is NOT #1 “Peace in the fuselage tail adhesive water” Hey, I am all for peace on earth and adhesive water - so no problem with that one.
Nor is it #3 “To insert the horizontal tail vertical tail slot” (hmmm...)
Nor #5 the famous “Blister on the tail to tail on” Not sure about the blister part – probably takes adhesive water to do something like that, but they used the word ‘tail’ 4 times in the course of two instructions – I’m pretty sure that’s because they known how to spell that particular word correctly, so heck, might as well show it off.
No, my all time favorite is #7 – that’s the one where they tell you not to bother fixing the fan (see pic)
Screw fixing the fan man, just go fly!!

Erudited – I feel your pain man – I remember my first few planes. Once you get a few more under your belt it all gets easier – and you get to know which tools to have handy for the build, that speeds up things (like a drill with a 1/16” at the ready to open up those control horn holes). Sorry I don’t have more specific advice, other than take your time, and if you use your own trans and rx read you transmitter manual carefully and it will call out the channel selections for you.
Test everything and don’t be afraid to adjust before you fly – this plane is not factory checked like a new car where you can just get in and drive. It has decent clevises (meaning they can be disconnected and reconnected more than once without breaking) so get your control surfaces where you want them before flight time and double check your cg before the big moment. Good luck and don’t give up – same time next year and you’ll be building a plane like this in 90 minutes.

Ps if you ever figure out how to ‘blister on the tail’ let me know
The English is horrible. The only use for the manual is follow the pictures. It's all standard assembly anyway...

The packaging is economy, but hey, it's a great jet for the price
tshiah is offline Find More Posts by tshiah
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:03 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,748 Posts
Well after many great flights on the meteor. I thought I would step it up a bit. Bought a Multiplex Twister today Got it all put together Just need to put some stickers on it in the morning. Should have it with me at field tomorrow.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:41 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,204 Posts
Mizchief, I am running medium timing on mine. I am just gonna go 5S with retracts to get the speed to where I want it. Looking forward to the vertical more than the speed. This is my stunt learning jet, i.e., knife edge, etc. Love this bird even on 4S. I scare all my flying buddies as I will do stuff with the Meteor that I would not even dare with my others .

Erudited, I will see what I can throw together as far as a short how to video for ya. We have all been the new guy having to learn. Heck I have been flying for darn near 20 years and I am still the new guys in alot of areas .

Jason
FresnoJay is online now Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
there are not many flight videos or build videos on youtube or anything, so if any of you can do some flight videos or even build ones giving your findings and reviews, that would be great!
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:27 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,204 Posts
Quote:
there are not many flight videos or build videos on youtube or anything, so if any of you can do some flight videos or even build ones giving your findings and reviews, that would be great!
The only video's that I have found on youtube are the ones fo me flying....well besides the one Tony from Nitro shot anyway. Nitro even took my first video (shot by DarkAngel) and posted it on the Facebook page . But it may take a day or so but will try and get a sort of build video up. Please bare in mind my Meteor is built so I will need to take it apart for the video. But the good part is I can show how I do my thrust tube and other goodies .

Jason
FresnoJay is online now Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:13 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
I posted a boring flight video a few pages ago
The most exciting part was the drifting on the takeoff run
Here it is: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=150
Helgeo is offline Find More Posts by Helgeo
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:26 PM
hillsboro Oregon
Joined Jul 2009
256 Posts
Maidened mine yesturday, was very impressed on how it flew. I needed to do a few mods on it before flying though, it was definately not flight ready like they say. It does need more speed and vertical for sure, it is not as fast in real time as it looks in video but flys very nice and mellow. I am actually going to do a test run on 6s today and see how it flys. Not going to be a very long flight not knowing much about the fan and motor, but from the test i ran with wattmeter I was putting out 600 watts at 39 amps on a 4s 200 Blue lipo and it balanced good with the battery just past the notch that i had to cut away. So we will see if the fan can take it or not, im sure the motor will be fine with throttle management and esc is rated for 6s too. WELL SEE!!
mikeochs is offline Find More Posts by mikeochs
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:27 PM
hillsboro Oregon
Joined Jul 2009
256 Posts
also has anyone had trouble with the balnce on fan, mine was touching the shroud a pinch
mikeochs is offline Find More Posts by mikeochs
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:52 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
My fan seems a little out of balance but not to bad, and had the same problem with the shroud so I sanded it until the gap was about the same on both sides
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:41 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizchief View Post
My fan seems a little out of balance but not to bad, and had the same problem with the shroud so I sanded it until the gap was about the same on both sides
My fan also touched the shroud on one side. I could clearly see that the motor was not centered in the fan unit. So i removed the impeller, and loosened all 4 motor screws. Centered the motor and put everything together again. That cured it. The motor and fan seemed to be in good balance.
Helgeo is offline Find More Posts by Helgeo
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:44 PM
SJ
Denmark EKCH
Joined Apr 2001
1,620 Posts
My fan was quite a bit out of balance.

After a little tape, it runs realy well.
SJ is online now Find More Posts by SJ