Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:56 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
man, that stinks about the shipping, I am kind of scared to get one now. I have been debating between the meteor and a phase 3 squall for days now and was leaning towards the meteor, now....hmmm. doesnt make sense why they would pack it that way knowing it will travel so far. dumb. Even the cheap $80 50mm edf's I have bought that come from china have been taped down really well. I saw in a youtube video with a guy unpacking his that his EDF was all loose and flopping around when he took it out too. that is just not good.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:05 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,563 Posts
Yea I got lucky I picked our 2 up form Grayson hobbies which is about 10 miles form my house. he gets his stuff on a huge container shipment. so it does not make much damage. I would recommend you buy from Grayson Great shop.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:27 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
Yea I got lucky I picked our 2 up form Grayson hobbies which is about 10 miles form my house. he gets his stuff on a huge container shipment. so it does not make much damage. I would recommend you buy from Grayson Great shop.
with the sale nitro is offering right now, they would be cheaper, about $13 cheaper, but it might be worth $13 to make sure it gets here ok and their customer service is probably better then nitroplanes too.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:12 AM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Nuts i just ordered from nitro.

Grayson does not carry the better batteries for this plane and i wanted it all in one order.
But If i had known of this packing problem i would have gone with grayson.

Isnt the squall EPS foam ?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:32 AM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
with the sale nitro is offering right now, they would be cheaper, about $13 cheaper, but it might be worth $13 to make sure it gets here ok and their customer service is probably better then nitroplanes too.
hate to tell ya guys, but look back at my post, i did say Dynams packaging sucked and bought it local since i knew it would been beat by shipping.

if you want the better batteries just order from hobbypartz, they are usually cheaper and have free shipping than their sister company nitro.

One way to test customer service, call before you buy, good luck getting nitro.
also, maybe ask for extra padding in box before they ship if your worried.

squall is eps foam still.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:47 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,563 Posts
Smash you flying Sat or sunday this weekend?

I need to work on my P47 still. Had a really bad maiden.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
hillsboro Oregon
Joined Jul 2009
255 Posts
can anyone tell me what the brand of fan unit and motor this is?
mikeochs is online now Find More Posts by mikeochs
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
If nitro would slap a "Fragile" sticker on the side maybe it would help. Also, I got mine during the deep freeze of metro Atl and it was put on the truck for delivery 3 times before I actually got it, so the extra loading & unloading may have done it in, plus I imagine that they were overloading the trucks trying to catch up after being shutdown for a few days.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old Jan 21, 2011, 02:29 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Everyone on here keeps saying you don't think you can hand launch this plane yet it is just like the habu and it can be hand launched
Old Jan 21, 2011, 02:45 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,563 Posts
Buy one and give it a shot. I just dont think there is enough thrust on stock setup to launch. Although I have not tried it. I am debating on giving it a shot to see if I can launch them while at SEFF . Maybe with a thrust tube it would be better?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:43 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Buy one and give it a shot. I just dont think there is enough thrust on stock setup to launch. Although I have not tried it. I am debating on giving it a shot to see if I can launch them while at SEFF . Maybe with a thrust tube it would be better?
WellNow I have three planes I am trying to decide between, this one, phase 3 squall, or multiplex funjet grrrr
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Smash you flying Sat or sunday this weekend?

I need to work on my P47 still. Had a really bad maiden.
Yes, Mike and I found the canopy of my p-40 today and I believe i have sunday off. i think i rad the factory cg is way tail heavy on the entire series of 1400mm warbirds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeochs View Post
can anyone tell me what the brand of fan unit and motor this is?
its dynams own unit, very close to a EFLITE delta 15 fan rotor, but the housing is designed for an outrunner where the eflite doesnt work without mods. the motor is roughly a 2800-3000kv motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizchief View Post
If nitro would slap a "Fragile" sticker on the side maybe it would help. Also, I got mine during the deep freeze of metro Atl and it was put on the truck for delivery 3 times before I actually got it, so the extra loading & unloading may have done it in, plus I imagine that they were overloading the trucks trying to catch up after being shutdown for a few days.
Trust me, Fragile means " kick me" to UPS. Why didnt you just pick it up locally at Grayson hobby here in GA, could have inspected before buying.

Quote:
Everyone on here keeps saying you don't think you can hand launch this plane yet it is just like the habu and it can be hand launched
The meteor does have good power, but it does seem to need a pretty good roll out before taking off. i would say if you had a good headwind it would handlaunch no problem, deadwind may be tricky.

Quote:
WellNow I have three planes I am trying to decide between, this one, phase 3 squall, or multiplex funjet grrrr
this is more of a beginner /relaxing edf plane. the Phase 3 can be a wild ride if set correctly but wont be as durable. the funjet i have no experience but im sure is a pusher version on the squall i bet.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:31 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Well i just went thru the exact same decision process.

Squall is EPS beer cooler foam
Funjet while good is relatively expensive
Deltas also seem more "twitchy" than the meteor which seems very smooth and stable. And the meteor seems to be high quality/price ratio.

So i ordered the meteor

p.s. and in addition, to solve my delta lust, i am building a fairly hot stryker from scratch for about $70 (see the stryker threads)
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Smasher, I live in Marietta and didn't know about Grayson's till after I got the bird. Have heard they have spare parts for the Meteor so I'm sure I'll be hauling my but over there sometime in the near future.
Mizchief is offline Find More Posts by Mizchief
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:45 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
Well i just went thru the exact same decision process.

Squall is EPS beer cooler foam
Funjet while good is relatively expensive
Deltas also seem more "twitchy" than the meteor which seems very smooth and stable. And the meteor seems to be high quality/price ratio.

So i ordered the meteor

p.s. and in addition, to solve my delta lust, i am building a fairly hot stryker from scratch for about $70 (see the stryker threads)
WEll Grayson's right now has the funjet combo for $99. includes 30A ESC and brushless outrunner, you only need to buy 2 servos. so that is pretty cheap. everyone else sells it for $200+. so that is what got my attention. its a good price. super fast acrobatic plane. for $10 more, you can get it with a 50A ESC.