HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Peter,

I'm running the L2855/CS10 combo and the more I fly it the better it's gotten.

Topher39,

Actually the numbers are very compariable to the stock system. I'm running the 2300kv and it's about 1100-1200 watts at 58-62 amps or so with a Blue Lipo 5s 4000 30c. I would have continued using the stock system however I was one of the unlucky ones and got a horrible sounding motor. I tried to balance it with the fan but the motor itself was pretty bad.
FoamJunkE is online now Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,365 Posts
Yeah, it goes great on stock. But even though the higher RPM changes it from a 'very boring leaf blower sound' into more of a 'turbine whoosh sound', it is still not quite there. So I expect to gain a fraction more power, but mainly a far nicer whine.

I almost fly the entire 4 mins I time it for at 100% throttle, seeing backing off reverts it more to a leaf blower sound.... plus is not as impressive. If I fly that up to the '30 secs to go buzzer' (30 secs to go of 4 mins) at 100% throttle all the way and then roll off to 1/2 throttle for the one landing circuit (so far always just one), it will have used 2600mA of a 3000mAH battery.

Those Zippy 3000mAH 20C's are great!! $21, for 1.2Kg thrust (58A) and don't even really puff much at all. They seem to feed out the 58A, which is close to 20C, without even really noticing it! I have three and all are the same. I will get two more with the next Meteor too!
Meanwhile my $35 3000mAH 30C's are heavier and a waste - equal test results and top speeds. So they are relegated to last in the queue.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Mar 12, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,365 Posts
I have the L2855-2800 (and a few other motors I can try). Someone (Beachflyer??) used that with a CS10 in something (F-16, F-14??) for near 40k rpm. 60A area. So it will be interesting to see what I really get with it!! (heat and smoke? lol)
Most other comments on the CS10 suggest using more towards that 2300kv area.
Though now that I think about it, that info might all have been on 6S..... so I think 2800kv for 5S could be roughly right.

Or.... head to a 6S setup (2300kv then).... I have a number of 6S batteries for 90mm's and heli's. But 5S seems it should be fine.

I will keep the new stock ESC and EDF for the current Meteor. And use an L2855 with 80A opto ESC in the new one. But the new one will be fully painted up, in some military scheme, and a better retract setup this time, so it will be the 'special pro' one, lol.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC/Battery Anti-Spark lead
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
Stupid question.... I'm trying to balance the stock edf fan but am having a hard time removing the front metal fan retainer piece. Any ideas?
ciscovet is offline Find More Posts by ciscovet
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:28 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscovet View Post
Stupid question.... I'm trying to balance the stock edf fan but am having a hard time removing the front metal fan retainer piece. Any ideas?
put it in the freezer for awhile, then disassemble.
search the thread. many people, including myself had the same problem
i had to use vice grips to remove the retainer after the freezer treatment
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
549 Posts
User report:
I bought the Meteor as a replacement for a crashed (pilot error, yes Sir ) Rebel and been flying it since the beginning of November '11.
The design, though very similar to that of the Rebel, is way better, e.g. parts fit better, no need to add weight in the tail, better battery placement, etc.

I'm using 45C Desire 3400 4S, giving me 7 minutes of mixed thrust flying, LIPOs hand warm down to about 30-40%.

No mods, but for the elevator throws and D-Day underwing stripes.
Our club sports a 50m (150ft) long hard surface runway which is just fine on that set-up. Take-off uses about 30m and landing about 40m. Had to learn to bring her in as slowly as possible, the usual technique being to go to idle when downwind abeam until finals when a smudge of thrust might be required. Far less bouncy than the Rebel, assuming the speed is right

After quite a few flights, I must say the Meteor has behaved very reliably, only requiring some straightening of the nose gear leg from time to time. Good fun for pattern flying and touch & goes!

Anecdote
Almost lost her the other day: first flight following a change of transmitter from CG10 to 8FG (Futaba), selected my Mig15 instead of the Meteor, well both start with an M don't they?
Applied power, lifted off gently, caught by a slight gust 1m off the surface I correct slightly left. The "gust" gets stronger, I quickly correct more... the Meteor performs a full roll (still 1m off the deck) to which I react by pulling the power off... she settles in the grass just short of a steep embankment, not one scratch

Had done a flight control check before, but complacently forgot the direction of the ailerons
Lesson learned, hopefully...
DeeCee 57 is offline Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Nov 2006
9,365 Posts
Well that was lucky DeeCee!!
I have had two major incidents with my Meteor and it has come out of them both extremely well - easily repaired and back like new within hours effort.
So it has been my luckiest plane! It is as if it does not want to ever die, lol.

You should investigate the retract Mods posted around here (esp mine - easy to do). That is visually, and speed-wise, very rewarding. It changes it into a 'real' jet - no UC hanging down all the time! Hehe.
Not too hard to do either... plus very cheap. My total cost to add them was $28 - 3 HK servoless retracts and use the stock legs/wheels. That $28 includes a few pieces of 4mm (or 5mm) ply, and steering arm bits, for the nose gear.

My nose wheel folds in rearwards, which for a while I thought I should have made it go forwards instead. But after thinking about it.... having the retract more forwards means the mounting plate system is up front there, and thus that strengthens the nose area more than if it was just a "hollowed out bay" for the wheel.
I made the mounting plate a certain way (very easy) but I have a much better idea for its design (still an easy flat plate basically) to do on my next coming Meteor.

The mains can be done in 30mins approx!!! The nose stuff is a few hours - though now that I know it I could do it in one hour. So it is cheap and it is easy to do! For a great result in looks and aerodynamics.
And I wish I had a hard and long runway like you get to use!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:54 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
Meteor Metrics

For what its worth (we're probably past this point), but I thought I'd post my static measurements.
My meteor is stock, save an 80A ESC.

With a 5C 4000ma/25C it weighed in at 1.455kg (3.2 lbs). Thrust 1.4kg (3.09lbs). Peaked at 1212W, 63.5A.

With a 4C 4000ma/45-90C it weighed in at 1.4kg (3.09lbs). Thrust 1.06kg (2.34 lbs). Peaked at 770W, 48A.

Cheers
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
9,365 Posts
My 5S 3000 30C weighs in at 1400g for 58A/1100w and 1.2Kg thrust.
My 5S 3000 20C weighs in at 1340g for 52A/920w and 1.1Kg thrust.
155kph max. But I have retracts.
I can't tell the difference when flying with either battery type.

I don't really need it at all, but I wouldn't mind squeezing out a bit more thrust. I haven't tested timings or any other ways to optimise the setup as it is.
I am preparing a CS10 system to go into the new Meteor I will get. (5S L2855-2800kv with 80A ESC and separate SBEC). I suspect it probably won't beat the stock setup anyway. But it will sound better... be technically sound and reliable... and could be ramped up to be better than the stock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:28 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
549 Posts
Peter, your retracts mod looks very nice indeed. It sure is appealing and sexy to have the legs tuck in the fuse

My Meteor has some battle damage, and I'm not sure about pimping her up... though I had my finger on the order confirm for said retracts and a new alu fan combo...
Problem is going this way I'd prefer starting from new, and buy a new one. My LHS only has the RTF, and I'd hate binning a new EDF/motor and servos... on top of that I think I'd prefer getting started on my Habu 32 and all the different projects in the mill

Also I'm also awaiting delivery of a dynamic fan balancer, and might first experiment with that on the original fan.

Ahhh, decisions, decisions
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:35 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,365 Posts
Maybe all aero-modellers do that.... 5 things (or more) on the go at once. lol
Then need to share out the time, towards whatever seems more important at any given time. I tend to chop and change across them, probably because each shift seems like you are doing something new. But that delays any from being completely finished anytime soon.

I have:
An F-15 70mm (80%), F-16 90mm (60%), F-100 90mm (80%) on the go.
Motor/ESC/EDF tests for CS10's & CS12's for those (and Meteor No.2). (3 CS10's, 2 CS12's and 3 other 90mm fans and motors). More 90mm's as there are a MB339 90mm and Hunter 90mm still not even started....
Then 3 planes needing slight repair/improvements (A-10, Radjet and F-18).....

So I am booked out for about 6 months I think!
But...... I am closely eyeing off a 1600m Mustang and a 1200mm Spitfire to add to the queue.... sigh....
For the moment, some common sense has been the only thing preventing me pressing the BUY button for those. hehe

I have 7 "fully flyable" planes at the moment (none of those mentioned above), so that is enough to assure some variation each day out - I go out almost every morning for an hour or so and take 4 or more of them. And the "favourite of the week", or day, seems to change rapidly! For the last week or so the Meteor has been the main pick of those. So much that when I wiped it out last Saturday I went home and spent the four hours getting it totally repaired so it would be coming out again on the Sunday!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,365 Posts
Oh yeah... once I did the Meteor retracts that led me to add them to the A-10 and F-15, which were fixed UC versions. It just turns a "What is that plane doing with landing gear and wheels sticking out all the time??" to the sleek "That looks real" impression instead.
A Meteor at max speed blitzing close by in all its super-slick aero-clean glory! lol
Then coming around overhead to commence the landing circuit, the wheels come out..... servoless retracts nice and slow.... it all adds up to a total of the whole flight picture.

I guess next best would be hand-launch with no landing gear needed..... But then you miss the take-off and landing 'realism' parts.
I have decided that anything OVER 1000mm gets retracts, anything under that I hand lauch, just to get rid of the fixed UC look. And once you have done a few, it becomes a pretty easy task to know the best way to approach fitting them to any aircraft.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:48 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2003
48 Posts
G'Day peter VRC

I got one of those GPS Loggers. Have you used yours?. I tried mine in my car and it seems OK. How do you power it in the model. I was going to connect a 5V battery to the USB lead. What did you do?.
Any advice would be appreciated.
regards
Tom watson
Sydney Australia
tommywatson is offline Find More Posts by tommywatson
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
549 Posts
Peter, that's quite a stable you got!

And now look what you've done:
Whilst surfing the retracts on HK's page I pushed the order button and YOU will be responsible for that
Now I will have to take care of my baby until those disappearing legs arrive...
The alu fan/motor will have to wait. They look nice, the numbers are ok, but they are quite heavy. I might pull the original fan out of the Meteor and dynamic balance it on my new machine, though I'm not sure how to get it out of the fuse since I glued everything solid...

PS
WTyouknowwhatImean, I then also pulled the trigger on that composite HK Viper!!!
Help, I'm going mad
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:10 PM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
Peter, that's quite a stable you got!

And now look what you've done:
Whilst surfing the retracts on HK's page I pushed the order button and YOU will be responsible for that
Now I will have to take care of my baby until those disappearing legs arrive...
The alu fan/motor will have to wait. They look nice, the numbers are ok, but they are quite heavy. I might pull the original fan out of the Meteor and dynamic balance it on my new machine, though I'm not sure how to get it out of the fuse since I glued everything solid...

PS
WTyouknowwhatImean, I then also pulled the trigger on that composite HK Viper!!!
Help, I'm going mad
Use silicone next time for your EDF. It holds great, adds a little dampening and its much easier to remove the EDF incase it requires maintenance. Just a helpful tip.
FoamJunkE is online now Find More Posts by FoamJunkE