Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:27 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,711 Posts
It slows down in turns - especially tight turns (LOL) - so you just never need to back off the throttle! hehe
I have occassionally flown around as slow as I can, to see how slow I can get it to go, but my football oval 'aerodrome' is surrounded by trees so unless I go out over them (30ft to 50ft height trees) I have to fly within the size of a football stadium - well, probably a small football stadium. So the Meteor is not really suited to that sort of thing, thus it spends most of its air time out over and beyond the trees, with fast swooping passes into the oval area - maybe loops coming back into it etc.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,711 Posts
I tested out a USB mini GPS logger unit I got yesterday.
It recorded the Meteor at 153kph max, and mostly 135kph to 143kph sort of area.
That agreed with what RCspeedo had been reporting, so it seems both methods are in agreement - so it should be pretty accurate numbers.

Flying at a new oval today, on one flight a main retract refused to come out so I had to belly land it. Boy did it skate a mile! (on quite short grass). It was totally unscathed.
The next landing the retracts were all fine, but probably for the same reason as the first rocket speed belly landing, the new 'aerodrome' has only a few good approach angles and seeing it was new to me - and still coming in over objects before you can come lower to land - I didn't do a very good job of bringing it down to a nice slower landing speed. So the wheeled landing bounded across the oval - FAST - and went into a harmonic porpoising sequence, like a bucking bronco by the end, and it leapt up to then come down on its wing-tip and nose... snapping 30mm or so off the nose. Boo....
Easy enough to fix. but maybe I need some flaps. (or a drag chute!!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:32 AM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw985 View Post
Purple,

I see you're in Kennesaw, so if you fly at CCRC maybe I'll get to watch your maiden this weekend!
Was thinking about taking off early and doing the maiden today if the weather holds out. Haven't been to CCRC yet. I fly at the rogue field on Hwy 92. Much bigger, with 2 perpendicular paved runways, and best of all..free!
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Last edited by Purple Pashin; Feb 22, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2006
14 Posts
[QUOTE=I have 2 2650 4S 40C batteries that I bought for the P.O.S. Hobbyking Sport Jet 70 I buried on maiden a couple of weeks ago. [/QUOTE]

I hear ya on the sport jet, it looks better than my meteor but you have to modify the battery tray and shove the battery way back to get a decent CG and the factory Freewing motor will only perform if the esc timing is set to high. It might look good but it takes a bunch of work just to get it up to par with the Meteor!

I have a CS 10 fan and 2300kv motor on the way but I haven't decided which jet to put it into yet. Have any of you guys flown the meteor with the 10 blade fan unit? If so, how does the performance compare to the factory unit?
Hands down the meteor has had the best performance out of the box compared to my other 70mm jets and its was the cheapest!

Does anyone have the Meteor in stock in the USA yet? Did they get sued by Horizon Hobby or what?
DanPeoples is offline Find More Posts by DanPeoples
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPeoples View Post
Does anyone have the Meteor in stock in the USA yet? Did they get sued by Horizon Hobby or what?
Got mine from eBay. He is in Cali. I think he has another that is RTF. Search for "meteor rc".
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
290 Posts
I'm looking into the meteor as a possible buy, but I can get an Habu for a little more (well, less than 50USD more).
Do you think I would be better suited with a meteor or a Habu?
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Whisper, They are virtually identical. The difference is the Meteor's stock electronics can go 5S with no mods save for an external BEC. The stock electronics are decent and have held up awesome for me for going on a year and a half. Only thing I changed was the nose steering servo when I installed the retracts. Reason for that was I could not reverse the stock servo and didn't want to add a reverser so it was swapped for a servo I could reverse.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,711 Posts
My nose wheel runs off another channel, thus reversable in the TX. But the main reason for doing that is so it can be mixed to disable it from turning when landing gear is up. Mine is pushrod driven, seeing after just one pull-pull system installation I saw how that is such lousy rubbish and I will never use pull-pull (wire) again!! LOL

As I buy more and more jets... bigger 90mm's... I am seeing more and more how the Meteor is just a "fantastic value, very well engineered and produced" jet!! All in all they haven't really done a single thing wrong! Well, bar the very easy to fix elevator rods issue. So I consider that a 'nothing' on the negative scale.

After belly landing mine (just once so far) I can even see that it would be totally fine as a hand-launcher too. If you wanted, or needed, that. But personally I love seeing the take-off and landing process, to complete the full sequence of a real jet and that means landing gear that can retract like on a real jet too. hehe.

I have my CS10 and motor etc set up and I bench tested it. But the stock system is running so well I don't want to divert my time/energy to changing that, seeing I have a huge list of other aircraft tasks to do too. So at this moment that one is headed to an F-15 (Meteor size), but I have a few lying in wait anyway, so one will make it to the Meteor eventually.
With 6 planes under construction (2x 70mm, 4x 90mm) there are not enough hours in a day! Or even in a week!

All I can for the Meteor is "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" !!!!
A bargain price, for a 10/10 (99/100) result!
It took a little bit of time... and definitely needed the move to 5S... to grow on me and to appreciate how good it really is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
I like Fast Warbirds
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
USB GPS Logger

[QUOTE=PeterVRC;20822419]I tested out a USB mini GPS logger unit I got yesterday.

What's a good GPS standalone tool I can pop into a plane a get a read on max MPH during a flight? Nothing fancy just want the simplest way to measure speed. I have the Spectrum MPH kit but I'd have to hack up my wing (on an F4U) to install it. Looking for something I can run off of a spare channel for power and just look at a readout after landing to determine my fastest speed during a flight
Webmaister is offline Find More Posts by Webmaister
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,711 Posts
This is the GPS unit with data logging that I got (via tip from Dambit).
The main thing that most USB GPS units do not have is data logging, and then most of those that do log data do not have speed measured or recorded.
I ordered this and received it within days (to Australia).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-USB-G...d=319552295004
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:32 AM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
397 Posts
I'm so glad I went to the flying field today. There was a guy selling a brand new in box Dynam Meteor with two brand new 3300mah 4s sky lipos for $100.00. I had to buy it. I had wanted a spare Meteor for a while but as you know they are hard to find now.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:44 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Nice find and congrats on the bargain.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:11 AM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
587 Posts
Captain Ron - great buy, now go get yourself some 5s batteries and you will really have a winner! Enjoy it.
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,711 Posts
Sounds like it fell off (flew off?) the back of a truck! A great bargain !
But.... sell the 4S's to pay for some 5S's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:37 AM
USA, FL, Doral
Joined Jul 2006
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I'm so glad I went to the flying field today. There was a guy selling a brand new in box Dynam Meteor with two brand new 3300mah 4s sky lipos for $100.00. I had to buy it. I had wanted a spare Meteor for a while but as you know they are hard to find now.
great deal! I really like my Meteor.
Fly it with 4 s first to get a fell for the plane and then upgrade to 5s.
I fryed my stoc ESC with 5s after a few fligths, now using an 80 amp ESC.
So installing an external BEC or upgrading to a bigger ESC is a good Idea.
I removed the landing gear in mine and handlaunch and belly land with zero issues.
People at the field (no radar gun) estimates the speep of the meteor around 90-95 MPH with 5s and a solid 70-75 MPH with 4s.
yucafrita is offline Find More Posts by yucafrita