HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
All I can say is that for me, HobbyKing is the king....
I have had 48 orders.... 16 planes.... uncountable parts..... and not one single order stuffed up, not one faulty item at all so far (seems very lucky compared ot others reports) whether a separate part or in a plane.

Aust has the Meteor.... but I guess that might not be a great help to other countries.

Rob, I flew the mixed "elevon" mode today. Even the low mode was a huge change, so I didn't even try the higher % mix mode. But I should have done that too I guess. Oh well, next time out I will do that.

Now I need a spoiler, or flaperon, mixed in with that to slow the landing speed down! I have to come in over trees that are 8m high approx, and then down to ground within 10m or so after those! So it gains a lot of speed all the way to touch-down.... then the landing run.... so it almost always makes it to the other end of the ovals surrounding railing. Plus a long walk to retrieve it too.
I will probably set FM1 for the final elevon % mix and then FM2 for landing mode spoiler/flaperon. Which I should have done a LONG time ago anyway....
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Is there anything I need to do to verify my ESC can handle a 5S?
Is the stock ESC ok with 5S or you upgraded the ESC (which would not make it stock).
I got mine like a month before Nitroplanes de-listed it.
Mine is 100% stock. If I remember right the Detrum ESC says "4-6 cells" I have heard of people balancing the stock fan but I didn't. I just put in a 5s 3000mah 30c Skylipo and flew it.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
Mine weighs:
946g no battery
1138g 3000mAH 4S 40C (exact same for 3300mAH 4S 30C)
Probably about 100g of that from retracts and mods in total.
3000mAH 5S 30C is just over 50g more, by battery spec (unweighed in plane)
It all still feels acceptably 'light' in total, for its size.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
BAH. I took a 5S 2200mAH 30C battery for the 5S flight test.....
I guess it did fly faster by some amount, but I only got to see one pass - the one right from take-off and coming around overhead. Then the battery lost one cell ! It dropped to being worse than 4S, even though it measured like a 4S afterwards - but the current flow through the chain of cells must have been compromised.
So that was that.... about 20 seconds of 5S test flight and then an emergncy landing.

2 5S 3000mAH 30C's are on their way already anyway, but 'resting' in the postal service for Australia Day today, LOL, but they will arrive tomorrow.

I am not sure about the mixed aileron/elevon idea now. It is hard to measure how much it helps pitching, it seemed notable the first times out but the last few flights I have had a few cases of being unable to rotate anywhere near enough to as much as I wanted - and the resultant arc was way too large for the speed it had. (4S and not that fast).

I will be heading to the twin servo elevator mod now..... and will mix those with aileron fractionally, for an elevon effect. It would have to be better for horizontal control surfaces to compliment each other, rather than one do something and the other do nothing. eg aileron rolls the aircraft but the tailplane stays 'level' and virtually resisting the ailerons roll work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:08 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
So,

The $64,000 question and I can't find the answer.

How similar is the meteor to the PZ Babu? Identical? Close? Similar?

What are the differences if any?

s
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:43 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Hi.
I have them both and I like them.
You will be fine with any of them. They are similar IMHO and Habu has a better finish.
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:44 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
So,

The $64,000 question and I can't find the answer.

How similar is the meteor to the PZ Babu? Identical? Close? Similar?

What are the differences if any?

s
Pretty much identical except on 4S the Meteor is slower but on 5S there is no contest, Meteor smokes it.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:55 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
I found that there are similarities in alot of areas. On 4S my Meteor was close to evenly matched with a stock Habu that a friend has. But like stated on 5S I spank it hands down. Did find out this past weekend that the Sparks canopy upgrade for the Habu will fit the meteor as well. Flight characteristics are pretty muhc identical.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:58 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,310 Posts
Another point: Meteor has the ESC in the top of the duct vice in the nose like Habu; making for a cool running ESC.
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:01 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
Another point: Meteor has the ESC in the top of the duct vice in the nose like Habu; making for a cool running ESC.
+1

Meteor runs much cooler and more effecient than the Habu.
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:20 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,310 Posts
Spoilerons

I want to experiment with spoilerons to slow down landings. Anybody have any proven settings? Even better if settings for a DX7...
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:18 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
471 Posts
Flapperons instead of Spoilerons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
I want to experiment with spoilerons to slow down landings. Anybody have any proven settings? Even better if settings for a DX7...
I have flapperons instead of spoilerons programmed into my DX8 with a slow timing and it helps get the right attitude for landing. Makes an easy landing model even easier. I've got a little elevator mixed in and it works perfect. Here are my settings:
Flap. Elev
Mid: 15%. 20%. Used for takeoff with 5s
Land. 25%. 27%. Used for landings
Speed. 14s
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:51 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Had 2 batteries through the Meteor today.

1 4S 2450 40c and 1 5S 3000 40c, was weird like there was not enough elevator throw, yet the week before it was fine....

Think Ill have to replace teh stock servo with a trusty old HXT900.

PS All the elevator mods have been done,
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:08 PM
0Gravity
Orlando, Florida
Joined Feb 2008
730 Posts
It Flys Inverted!!!!

Vince does a great job flying this cool plane!

RC Meteor EDF Jet Inverted Flying (6 min 25 sec)
budkeywest is offline Find More Posts by budkeywest
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:45 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
530 Posts
well, i maidened my meteor today finally.what a brilliant plane. its fast, and flys like its 'on rails'. very predictable.
i ran a 5s 4000ma battery very rarely at full throttle first flight since i am becoming accustomed to the characteristics.
the second pack i flew at full throttle upwind, and full downwind to get an idea of top speed. onboard gps telemetry tells me i reached 140km/h downwind at a fairly level attitude.
well, after turning back upwind i lost power to the motor.luckily the bec was still working, and was able to glide it in gracefully enough.
still havent looked into the problem. i put my money on a fried ESC. i should have been monitoring the current, but is difficult to keep watching. i have a replacement 100a ESC.
i am very impressed with this jet. its got lots of power, very predictable, is big enough to take off in my grass field, and glides well too. what more to ask for?
well, elevator travel.i tried a few loops and had a few moments i didnt think it was going to make it around before hitting mother Earth. (battery should be back farther? i used proper CoG though)
i switched over to my airlervators (sp?) mix which helped abit, but loops were still very lazy.
The flaps mix didnt seem to kill much speed. it did come it quite hot. if i cant slow it down enough, i might install flaps.
overall i'm super happy with this jet
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics