HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:27 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,744 Posts
Oh... do people using 5S think the higher speeds are a stress on the plane? The tailplane seems quite flimsy as it is, and going faster is only going to tax it even more. Plus the main wing doesn't seem too amazing in strength either.
I get worried when putting it through high G's even on 4S !!!
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:07 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Oh... do people using 5S think the higher speeds are a stress on the plane? The tailplane seems quite flimsy as it is, and going faster is only going to tax it even more. Plus the main wing doesn't seem too amazing in strength either.
I get worried when putting it through high G's even on 4S !!!
I gave mine to a Precision Aerobatics sponsored 3D pilot to fly on a 5S 3000mah 40c pack and my plane is stock standard.

It survived he tried to hover it, it survived he did a full speed dive and it survived.

I would say for everyday fly it will be fine, if your that paranoid though add some carbon fibre to the Horizontal Stab and main wings.
cloaked is online now Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:08 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
I have not had any failures on mine yet and I also run retracts. But to be honest I do keep wing flex and airframe stress in mind when I fly her. I try not to high G dive her but like Cloaked said general flying she holds up just fine. But alos like Cloaked said add some C/F beef ups to her if you feel the need. Mine might actually get them down the road as I do have some spare C/F laying around.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
798 Posts
Quote:
Rob, I must have missed a fine detail. I am thinking you mean mix the ailerons in the SAME direction as elevator? Which is what most of the 'modern freaky high tech fighters' have, lol. (eg F-35, F-22).

I am heading out with the meteor tomorrow and then thought "If I do it the wrong way it could get ugly!". Though of course would test it up high... and do the dual mix % levels via FM1&2 idea also.
Yes, ailerons same dir as elevator.

Good luck and have fun.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
Man, I took my meteor out this past Tuesday and again today. I still am impressed with this plane stock on a 5s 3000 mah. There was a guy out at my local field with a Habu on 4s and he was jealous. He didn't believe mine was stock. I should have bought two Meteors when nitroplanes had them.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:47 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,744 Posts
Surely that "flimsy" tail-plane has some hand in the Meteor's lack lustre pitch control. I'll put in some carbon rod tonight. The main wing has a large and long carbon spar already. But I thought I had read about wing flex, or even breaking under high G's coming out of a dive, somewhere in a forum.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:12 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Man, I took my meteor out this past Tuesday and again today. I still am impressed with this plane stock on a 5s 3000 mah. There was a guy out at my local field with a Habu on 4s and he was jealous. He didn't believe mine was stock. I should have bought two Meteors when nitroplanes had them.
Is there anything I need to do to verify my ESC can handle a 5S?
Is the stock ESC ok with 5S or you upgraded the ESC (which would not make it stock).
I got mine like a month before Nitroplanes de-listed it.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:22 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Is there anything I need to do to verify my ESC can handle a 5S?
Is the stock ESC ok with 5S or you upgraded the ESC (which would not make it stock).
I got mine like a month before Nitroplanes de-listed it.
I measured the power draw of my stock system on 5S and every test I performed showed that the power plant drew less than 60amps and was closer to 56-58 with a fully charged battery.

Also, the motor/fan unit I tested wasn't balanced very well so if yours is balanced your amps may be lower.

If you have a 5S, go for it! The performance boost is very noticeable.
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Peter, I have no issues what so ever with pitch controls on mine. Its very quick on the response with as much as I needed when pulled on. Could it be that the servo is not throwing enough or the arm have enough travel? Did you do the mod to allow the control arm to move more than stock?

Melnic, My meteor has been metered at peak 57A and settles into around 54A and with it being in the airstream it stays amazingly cool. If the weather allows flying this weekend I will temp the ESC and motor for you after one of my flights.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
great. It will unload in the air and pull less current too, so I think I'll give a 5S 3300 battery a try next time. My buddy has my meteor right now so I'll have to meet up with him sometime in the comming weeks.

David
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:26 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Anyone bought this plane from generalhobby.com??? I really want another one but can't decide who to get it from...
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:
Surely that "flimsy" tail-plane has some hand in the Meteor's lack lustre pitch control. I'll put in some carbon rod tonight. The main wing has a large and long carbon spar already. But I thought I had read about wing flex, or even breaking under high G's coming out of a dive, somewhere in a forum.
I fly mine stock on 5s. I routinely climb to an altitude of three to four hundred feet, perform a hammerhead stall and dive at full speed at an angle of around 30 degrees and will pull out at the bottom of the dive going into another vertical climb. I have never lost my tail feathers nor have I cracked a wing. I have been flying a Meteor for about nine months now. This bird is tough and can take an amazing amount of G forces. As thick as these wings are the idea of wing flex makes me chuckle somewhat. There are at least a half dozen Meteors flown at our field. Wing flex has never been a topic of discussion.
Strongbow is offline Find More Posts by Strongbow
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
Jacksonville, Fl.
Joined Jan 2010
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
Anyone bought this plane from generalhobby.com??? I really want another one but can't decide who to get it from...
I live in North Florida, Grayson Hobby in Georgia is a no brainer for me.
Strongbow is offline Find More Posts by Strongbow
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:16 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
I live in North Florida, Grayson Hobby in Georgia is a no brainer for me.
I got my meteor from Grayson hobby too, a great outfit to deal with!
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk671 View Post
i got it and it arrived in 3 months in a real bad shape.. Will never buy again from them
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon