Thanks for that information!
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, OH, Louisville
Joined Dec 2008
97 Posts
modded meteor

here are some pics of my meteor.I painted it with testers spray can (flat olive drab),added a parkflyerplastics cockpit kit and wing tank kit.just a little paint makes it look alot different.i added a yoke,heads up display and ejection rings to the kit also.
miller6196 is offline Find More Posts by miller6196
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:40 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
584 Posts
Miller, nice job! What cockpit kit did you use? I dont see one at park flyer . . .

Your input would be great.

Topher
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher39 View Post
Miller, nice job! What cockpit kit did you use? I dont see one at park flyer . . .

Your input would be great.

Topher
Military cockpit for the Habu.... http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=450

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
97 Posts
yep.habu.you will have to hak it up just to use the pilot,the canopy works perfect as is.the pilot will be attached to the detail tray that covers the entire hatch of a habu.the habu is wider so the tray will not work at all.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Dec 2008
97 Posts
i also added the air hose to the mask.shrink tubing works great for that.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Dec 2008
97 Posts
the yoke is a 440 ball link that i snipped with side cuts and formed it with a dremel then painted
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Dec 2008
97 Posts
the ejection rings are black electrical wire that i cut and bent then just glued to the seat.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:24 PM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
757 Posts
Why?????

Why does a great out of the box flyer like this .....just go away?? No place to buy it, no place supports a full set of parts for it and at the height of its popularity it just went poof!
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
584 Posts
Grayson Hobbies
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:59 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,414 Posts
That looks great Miller !!!
Oh dear... now yet another project for me to do! Glamorise the Meteor!
I was sort of happy with it as it was, but after seeing that transformation I won't be happy with it as it is now!
What did you do to prep it? Just a rub down with fine wet&dry? Or some "chemical peel", or also? What is the Testers paint base, oil? And does it need any undercoat process?
And the final important questions.... does it take well, rock solid adhesion? And is it very tough? (can't be worse than plain foam).

I have my retracts all done, and they work great - pretty well as perfect as I would like them to be. Pull-pull cables are somewhat painful, until I figured out a nice way to set them up for easy adjustment.
So it took a fair amount of time for the nose-gear part - a lot of thinking time - whilst the mains were very easy and quick. But after solving this Meteor retract puzzle I should be able to upgrade any plane with retracts much easier now.

So I have my A-10 and F9F Panther to complete their retract jobs. Both those using the same HK bits for the job. But the next nice morning it is "Meteor with retracts fly day" !! Which incorporates the "Meteor on 5S fly day" too, so I will get to kill two birds with one stone.... or one bird with two stones? (retract or 5S failure....). Well, 4S flights first, then on to the 5S....
And if all goes well with those tests.... into the paint shop this weekend or next!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Dec 2008
97 Posts
no prep what so ever.any color testers will adhere perfectly.if you wipe it down with anything just use water to clean after sanding if you desire.i didny sand anything and it looks decent.the cells in the foam dont look nearly as pronounced when there painted so sanding is not necessary.if you start sanding, be prepared becuse it will take a very fine grit to get the scratches out of that foam.take it from me,leave it as is.wipe it clean with a moistened cloth of water and shoot it.will take at least 2coats of paint to cover.you can use multiple colors by using blue 3m painters tape to mask over previous colors. thanks for the compliment.

p.s. here is a pic of a little flycat that i converted to estes rocket power that launches of my kadet sr.i painted it black first,then cut out the zig zags out of the blue painters tape and stuck them on.then painted the whole plane olive drab.let it dry the peel the zig zags off.
Last edited by miller6196; Jan 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:27 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
594 Posts
I maidend my meteor yesterday and have to say it's a supurb flying plane. I screwed on some backup plates to the elevator torque rod attach points, cleand out a little bit of foam around the control horns, moved the rod to the outer hole on the elevator servo horn. All this got me 12mm up and down movement. On take off this plane requires very little up to get airborne. Throughout all of my flights I found the elevator throws fine. For landing the rate of decent can be controlled very effectively by the throttle all the way to touchdown. This is a fine plane and handles a bumpy grass field fine. I would like to know how you other meteor owners do your hand launches.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,414 Posts
Yeah, the landing gear wires and the nice wide wheels make for great ground handling over anything up to quite rough terrains. So I kept the main gear wires, and all 3 wheels, in my retracts mod. I'll have to make up a video on the whole process soon. Though I have worked out an even better nose-gear mount system - too late for me to use now - which would have made it all a lot easier, plus that new way has solid pushrod connection rather than pull-pull wires. Probably re-inventing the wheel anyway, but I wish I had known it (more) before.

Miller, that Flycat looks great too! Even in pics don't really show the details you can see in real life. So you have obviously worked out (or knew) how to paint these things well.
I am itching to paint up my Meteor, but after I get it through its few test flights. Which the terrible weather here at the moment is delaying....

And the puzzle/decision.... what colour scheme to do????
That Olive Drab you used looks good, but maybe that as a base with a contrast green for the typical 'military splotchy camo' look. Or..... all grey, with some form of contrast colour (ie tips etc in red, or orange, or stripes etc), or even a base grey with camo splotch contrast grey, or green, or blue.
It feels like it would need some "Military paraphenalia" added too, like your tip tanks, and possibly missile pods (and/or missiles too) for it to pull off the military look properly. Becoming a bigger project than just painting....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:20 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
I maidend my meteor yesterday and have to say it's a supurb flying plane. I screwed on some backup plates to the elevator torque rod attach points, cleand out a little bit of foam around the control horns, moved the rod to the outer hole on the elevator servo horn. All this got me 12mm up and down movement. On take off this plane requires very little up to get airborne. Throughout all of my flights I found the elevator throws fine. For landing the rate of decent can be controlled very effectively by the throttle all the way to touchdown. This is a fine plane and handles a bumpy grass field fine. I would like to know how you other meteor owners do your hand launches.
Congratulations on the maiden.

Mine was (I'm about to return it to stock for selling) a 5S HET/Wemo setup but underarm toss and away she goes.

They are a great flyer but I've got to make room for some other projects.
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63