HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:46 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,186 Posts
I fried that motor on 5s in one flight. your better off sticking with the stock set up on 5s
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:23 PM
TakeOff=optional,Landing= Must
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
I previously ran the stock setup on 5s and now run my lander on 4s. Performance is the same if not better but much much nicer smoother sound. Also don't have to worry about limiting the throttle on 4s.
fg1972 is online now Find More Posts by fg1972
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:10 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
FG, Why did you need to limit the throttle on 5S on the stock setup? I fly it mostly WOT with a few cool down laps thrown in here and there. It really is a blast to fly on 5S and the setup holds up awesome doing it.

Also have the pics of the install for the retracts. Does anyone want to see the pics of the work? I didn't see any comments on the matter so would like to know rather than clog up the thread with unwanted info.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:46 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
FG, Why did you need to limit the throttle on 5S on the stock setup? I fly it mostly WOT with a few cool down laps thrown in here and there. It really is a blast to fly on 5S and the setup holds up awesome doing it.

Also have the pics of the install for the retracts. Does anyone want to see the pics of the work? I didn't see any comments on the matter so would like to know rather than clog up the thread with unwanted info.

Jason
my meteor is officially on the workbench now. But its a few minutes of work everyday if not at all. This is a busy busy period at work and at home.

Im interested in the retracts as i have bought the xtremepowersystems kit. I still havent desided wich ones i will install though. Most probably i will go with stock mosquito legs. I wanted to use the hobbyking 7075 alloy shock absorbing struts but i decided that those will go in my new hk viperjet 90

So far i have assembled the fan unit het6904 with the hoffman magnetis the beast motor and made sure there is no rotor rubbing against the shroud.
Done the goam carving for the edf unit to fit, done the wing carving for the plywood for the retracts.
Next bits will be to shorten the esc motor wires and do the nose retract assembly with the steering. After that i think it will be a straight forward build with the elevators taking most of the time. Im thinkg to replace the servo with a hextronic mg14.

Soooo.. How about those pictures???

P.s.: i kept the intake ring of the het9604 unit for the first time in a plane.. So i expect even more efficiency
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:56 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2003
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post

Jason
Yes please lets see the pics. I have the HABU retract kit.
tommywatson is offline Find More Posts by tommywatson
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:26 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Ok so here is the beginning of the posts with the pics. There are 16 pics and in each I will give the best description I can of what was done. If I miss anything or if anyone wants clarification just ask. As stated before I am using the EFlite 10-15 Servoless gear. Please before you do any cutting, chopping, dremeling read all posts as for whatever reason they have cut off half of what I typed. Ask if you have questions. This took me the better part of a day to do because of the snags I ran into.

Jason
Last edited by FresnoJay; Dec 20, 2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:39 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
505 Posts
heavier pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Weight difference between my batteries is miniscule. Turnigy 3300 4s 20c weights approx. 340grm's. Zippy Flightmax 2650 5s 40c weight approx. 344grm's. CG stays the same with either battery. 4grm's aint s!
I bought a few Zippy 5c 5000ma (500g) packs to use.
Am I going to have problems with the weight? Is manageable?
Do I need a separate BEC as someone suggested?
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok ive got a very gooooood question..
Where can i find the same pull pull arm that goes into the nose wheel shaft? The one i had in my changesun nose gear had the screws cut in and i cant remove them so i need some. If i could find those pullpull with 3mm hole i would buy a bunch of them
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
btw your installation is the simplest and probably better than the xtremepowerrc kit
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:01 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Pavcon, Thank you for the compliment but honestly there was nothing simple about the process because of the snags I ran into along the way. But by me posting them up as notes and warnings this hopefully will save others the time it cost me trying to work around them.

As for the pull-pull arms the best I can recommend is the part from horizon that goes with my gear. It could be made or modded to use as pull-pull. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ng-arm-EFLG113

Jason
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:44 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Jason,

I would appreciate any pics, info, or advice you care to share. I have a set of these retracts to install as well. Just waiting until I get better landing it. Thanks!

Brad
bradm5312 is offline Find More Posts by bradm5312
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:02 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Experience with the Meteor

Just wanted to share my experiences with this plane for anyone considering it.

This is a fantastic plane. Easiest maiden flight I've ever had. I have about a dozen flights on it so far. Flies incredibly well, no trim was required. I never flew the stock, but upgraded with a power system I had from another plane before the maiden.

Here are the particulars for mine:

-RC Lander 68mm fan/motor. Great unit... plenty of power and runs incredibly smoothly. I got mine from Hobby King... excellent price in my opinion. Link with buddy code discount is below in case you want one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...C-6A9DD411B688

-Turnigy Plush 80 ESC, also from HK. Link with buddy code below:

http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...4-F7DC09000969

-Sky Lipo, 4S/4000/40C

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4000-4s1p-40c-4444.html

Full power amp draw is about 62 amps.

Plane balances perfectly with this battery in the tray. I can also use the same battery in the 5000 size if I line up the front of the battery with the front edge of the plastic part of the tray.

With this power system, the plane cruises around at a good speed at about 1/3 throttle. The plane has unlimited vertical.

I have my timer set to 6:20 and have about 1/2 of the 4000's capacity left when I land. However, I've not been flying WOT that much as I've been working on my landings.

The only problem I've is slowing down the landings. I've configured mine with flaperons, but am still looking for slower approach speeds and lower starting altitiude to get easier landings. The runway I use isn't super long and I need to get the plane down and stopped in a reasonable amount of space. Still working on this. Take-offs are really easy.

I have a set of the E-flite retracts to install because this plane is too cool to have fixed gear. I'm waiting until I get the landings smoother so I don't damage the retracts.

Sorry for the long post, but thought it might be useful for someone considering getting this plane. Too bad Nitro stopped carrying it because I got it for about $99... best value in RC in my opinion. Pic posted.
bradm5312 is offline Find More Posts by bradm5312
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
a tip on landings...
just line up with the strip and hit dead stick... You will only need some elevator up input prior to landing.. This thing is so easy to land once you get the hang of it
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:45 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Brad this bird will fly at less than half. I start my base leg turn at about 1/3 throttle then let the plane bleed speed through the turn. Once on final cut back to about 1/4 and let herr continue to slow down. Once lined up and about 75-100' from the runway end cut it and let her glide in.

Jason
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:56 PM
TakeOff=optional,Landing= Must
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
@FresnoJay
I limited the throttle on 5s with stock setup due to it pulling too many amps for the stock esc. Some of the stock motor/fans are good, some are not like mine which ran rough no matter how long I spent balancing and was inefficient.
fg1972 is online now Find More Posts by fg1972