HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:35 PM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
so, I dont have time right now to read all these posts, so can you all tell me if this is a decent plane out of the box? as a PNP version anyway. using my own battery and Tx and Rx. Is the build quality good? any major problems that need fixed to make it flyable? This would be my 4th EDF plane, but first using 4 cell.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:42 PM
Registered User
bigmoebbq's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,682 Posts
I am the other guy at Smashers field that has a couple of Meteors. My 9yr old son flies the snot out of this plane. He loves it better then his new Parkzone p-47. I did try mine on 5s 2200mah pack this weekend. I thought it was about the same. Although on 5s doing a dive must have had more speed because I could see the wings start to flutter..lol It was cool! I do wish mine was faster.. I may look at getting a cheap Habu setup for it or a better kv motor. I like it on 4s better as it is lighter. I am ordering some 3000mah pack today to help with cog. The smaller Tube idea may be in the works as well.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:28 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
I am the other guy at Smashers field that has a couple of Meteors. My 9yr old son flies the snot out of this plane. He loves it better then his new Parkzone p-47. I did try mine on 5s 2200mah pack this weekend. I thought it was about the same. Although on 5s doing a dive must have had more speed because I could see the wings start to flutter..lol It was cool! I do wish mine was faster.. I may look at getting a cheap Habu setup for it or a better kv motor. I like it on 4s better as it is lighter. I am ordering some 3000mah pack today to help with cog. The smaller Tube idea may be in the works as well.
Yeah, these things are begging for a thrust tube Chris, I've just been lazy with mine. but the retract mod for the wings are near completion, then the hard part begins ( nose gear)

seemed every bit as fast as the habu i flew with sunday stock for stock though, so i'm happy with that.
downside to sunday- lost my p-40 canopy sunday flying inverted LOL if i cant find it i will have to reorder another.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:49 PM
Registered User
bigmoebbq's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,682 Posts
i would like it to be faster. I am just falsely trying to compare to my Funjet Ultra. If I had landing gear on that it would be my favorite right now..lol

I saw a reg Habu fly Saturday and it did not seem much faster. but it did not flex as much in a dive either. I saw mine flutter a few times. I thought I would try to snap the wings off. They fluttered but never came off.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:45 PM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Some of you arent talking about batteries, your can get great cheap ones in the us at www.valuehobby.com I get all mine there and get them very quickly and they come with deans already on them
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:22 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
FresnoJay's Avatar
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,199 Posts
Guys if you are going 5S you need to get a battery that can hold the voltage. 2200's and even 2650's aren't going to show what really lies beneath. If going 5S I would say a 30C 3000 would be the smallest I would go. Yeah a higher "C" might handle it but you start running into flow issues current wise. I have seen this in many different cell counts and current levels. But again just my .02.

Jason

FWIW, The Habu on 4S and the Meteor on 4S are pretty much evenly matched. Flown formation with a Habu so I can attest to it. 5S might be a different story though.
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:41 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
i would like it to be faster. I am just falsely trying to compare to my Funjet Ultra. If I had landing gear on that it would be my favorite right now..lol

I saw a reg Habu fly Saturday and it did not seem much faster. but it did not flex as much in a dive either. I saw mine flutter a few times. I thought I would try to snap the wings off. They fluttered but never came off.
Chris, get some RTV silicone sealant and apply a bead on the fuse/wing joint down each side, i did it and it seems to hold the wing much more solid now.

only do the outside, so if needed you can just slice it with an exacto to remove the wing.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:29 AM
Registered User
bigmoebbq's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,682 Posts
Yea I picked some up last week to give it a try.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:13 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Ok I will ask again, can someone please tell me how this plane flies stock? I have seen on youtube videos that some say it will hardly fly stock because edf sucks but I see some of you say it's about equal to the habu.....?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:31 AM
Registered User
bigmoebbq's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,682 Posts
Both my son and I fly them. They are nice and easy. Probably the best First timer Jet out there. As for speed. I would say around 70mph. I thought it would have been faster. On 5S it is faster. We fly ours stock on 4s 2650 40c batteries.

PRO: It is a great all purpose jet. Stable , Glides nice, Slows nice for landings. Pretty durable. Price is great for a decent esc and motor combo.

Minuses: Nose wheel sucks, Servos are really cheap,

Overall well worth the $ I paid for mine. I got a discount since I bought 2 at same time. So I saved $20 but even at $129 I would buy it again. Fun little plane I just wish it was faster.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:47 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
Both my son and I fly them. They are nice and easy. Probably the best First timer Jet out there. As for speed. I would say around 70mph. I thought it would have been faster. On 5S it is faster. We fly ours stock on 4s 2650 40c batteries.

PRO: It is a great all purpose jet. Stable , Glides nice, Slows nice for landings. Pretty durable. Price is great for a decent esc and motor

Minuses: Nose wheel sucks, Servos are really cheap,

Overall well worth the $ I paid for mine. I got a discount since I bought 2 at same time. So I saved $20 but even at $129 I would buy it again. Fun little plane I just wish it was faster.
Thanks, so is anyone hand launching with stock setup?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:14 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Melnic's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Guys if you are going 5S you need to get a battery that can hold the voltage. 2200's and even 2650's aren't going to show what really lies beneath. If going 5S I would say a 30C 3000 would be the smallest I would go. Yeah a higher "C" might handle it but you start running into flow issues current wise. I have seen this in many different cell counts and current levels. But again just my .02.

Jason

FWIW, The Habu on 4S and the Meteor on 4S are pretty much evenly matched. Flown formation with a Habu so I can attest to it. 5S might be a different story though.
What Jay is talking about is the pack's Internal Resistance. A weak 5S won't be much better than a strong 4S because all batteries have an Internal resistance and will drop voltage under load. A 5S will have more voltage but more total IR given the same mah, C rating and Brand. So when you bump the cell count to get more power, as Jay says, you still need a good pack.
A general rule is that within the same brand, increasing mAh or C rating will lower IR. So a 30C pack will have a lower IR in general than a 20C pack. And YES, will produce more power.
In general YOU CANT compare old packs though cause IR will deteriorate over time.

Somewhere on Hobbypartz, They had a graph showing GensAce compared to Thunderpower, Blue Lipo and Sky Lipo.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:50 AM
Registered User
texbird's Avatar
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
I am just falsely trying to compare to my Funjet Ultra.
Just looked the Funjet up.
$109 just for the empty KIT! Boy that seems as overpriced as the Habu.

You get the complete Meteor PNP for $109+ship.
Although slower, just shows what a good value it is.

BTW in my SIM the Meteor/Habu does about 83mph level, cant says thats totally accurate though...
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:14 PM
Registered User
bigmoebbq's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,682 Posts
I have a Funjet Ultra and it is hands down a better plane to me. I just wish it had landing gear. or a launcher system.

As for hand launching I have not tried it but I think it would work however you would kill a pack faster.
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
Bigmoe,
A cheaper solution to upgarding the motor is dropping a Sapac MB-1 into you fan. With the fan as a unit ,the combo is around $60. The motor alone is around $40. They can handle 5s and I have heard up to 6s. On 4s you will get near 60 amps and 1000 watts on a 2200 30c pack.
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Larry Jolly "Meteor"-127" Kit NIB --Now $275 Shipped ldm1839 Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 5 Sep 29, 2010 05:34 PM
Discussion Meteor shower tonite, You goonna stay up for it? Bilbobaker Life, The Universe, and Politics 13 Aug 15, 2010 11:32 PM
Build Log Peter Rake's 30" General Western Meteor Prototype dz1sfb Scale Kit/Scratch Built 19 Aug 15, 2010 10:38 PM
Discussion Two Hours Outside and I only Saw One Perseid Meteor Chophop Life, The Universe, and Politics 12 Aug 12, 2010 07:28 PM
For Sale Russ Thompson Meteor fuse Bill L Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 15, 2009 09:18 PM